2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn Engine Wiring Harness - Part # 68144497AD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamRider60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good Day Fellow Ram 1500'ers. I'm in a dilemna that so far, Dodge as well as my dealership has been able to solve. I am trying to find a Engine Wiring Harness for a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a 5.7L Hemi and a 6 speed Automatic Transmission. The Part number is 68144497AD. I have the MVP Service Plan that I bought with the truck back in 2013. I had an ECM failure along with a needed Engine Wiring Harness Replacement. Both parts are covered my my MVP Service Plan. Since May 24, 2021, I have been working with my Dodge Dealership and the Northeast Dodge Rep assigned to me to fix this issue. As of August 9, 2021, I have been told the following by the Northeast Dodge Rep.

1. The Engine Wiring Harness for the 2013 RAM 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and 6 Speed Automatic Transmission has been discontinued as of 03/16/2020.

2. Attempts to find a new OEM supplied engine wiring harness cannot be found. Although I have the MVP Lifetime Service Plan and the part is covered, the one option for me is to work with the dealer to find a salvage part for my truck. This salvage part would void my warranty for the engine wiring harness for the future of the service plan because it is not an OEM part. If it is determined that the wiring harness was determined to have caused the failure of another component attatched to wiring harness, those parts will be void as part of the Service Plan due to the wiring harness being the cause for that components failure. They must prove that the wiring harness has a short.

3. We have now been looking for a salvage wiring harness for my truck since 8/09/2021 with no success. I have been without my truck except for a short 1.5 period where they put in the new ECM and it drove until the wiring harness blew the fuse to protect the new ECM just put in.

4. My other option is accept the purchase of a new Dodge vehicle where at such time, after the deal has been worked through, Dodge folks will come up with a CDI coupon which will tell me how much they are willing to give me as a discount for replacement of my current truck. I have until January 2022 to take this option. Anyone know if another year's truck (2014?..etc) wiring harness will work with my 2013? Thanks for any help!

to decide

loopless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is fascinating. Twice the ECM of my 2013 5.7L outdoorsman with 6 Speed has failed due to an engine wiring harness issue. Both times the failures occurred in Baja on rough roads, and I limped the vehicle home. The first time the dealer claimed the engine cover mounts were damaged and cover was rubbing on Cyl 2 and Cyl 4 wiring causing a short. The fixed the wiring and replaced the engine cover and ECM.

Now the second time, the truck is at an independent shop and they said it was Cyl 2 and Cyl 4 again. My ECM is being replaced (again) with a used one as you can't get new ECMs for love or money. So it sounds like this is a chronic issue with that MY RAM trucks.

I think from now on the engine cover is staying off at all times!

*** This thread was moved to the 4th gen Forum by a Mod ***

Last edited:

loopless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to update this. truck is running again with a new (used) ECM....at substantial total cost, though the used ECM's are only $200-$250. There does seem to be a design issue with this MY and the engine cover. The tech who fixed mine routed everything away from the engine cover but said I might like to remove the cover 'permanently' if I plan to driver on rough roads again.

Octane

Reaction score
The first thing I've done was remove the engine covers on my challenger and my Ram,both are 2013 models.I even like the view better.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I was wondering why my 21 classic didnt come with an engine cover and now I know
but I agree with octane I prefer the way it looks without