2013 Ram 1500 - Key / Ignition issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtolles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster on this forum.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/s1PX1pQSaCTkfvub7

The link above is a quick video of what's going on with my ignition when I stick the key in. I've already replaced the "ignition switch" module - supposed to be a brand new part on eBay - and it's doing the same exact thing. Nothing shows up on the dash except the odometer. The lights on the dash work and the gauge needles do their little glitch movement like normal, but then nothing. The head and tail lights all work. Lock/unlock functions work from the fob. Internal lights work. The battery is less than 3 years old.

A few weeks ago I started seeing the "wrong key fob" screen on the dash about 2-3 times per week. Then it progressively started getting more frequent until it's just not working any more. I've used the same fob for the last 5 years.

I've disconnected the battery for a few minutes and replaced the switch module and haven't seen a change. I'm not sure what else to try and so I'm looking for any other ideas before I have to swallow my pride and send it to the stealership. TIA

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try the other fob. Sometimes it de-magnetizes if you keep it close to your phone and it wont start the truck but will do what you described

OP
OP
J

jtolles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try the other fob. Sometimes it de-magnetizes if you keep it close to your phone and it wont start the truck but will do what you described

Only received one fob when I bought the truck..... :(

Jtblackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only received one fob when I bought the truck..... :(
In that case, you might have to just bite the bullet and get a new key. Its a very poor design in my opinion, what was wrong with having a regular key?