2013 Ram 1500 rack and pinion issues......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clifton hilliard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 crew cab
Engine
5.7L hemi
over the past weekend i had some issues with electric steering, got up saturday am and started the truck as normal and the evic displayed service power steering system and the steering was out and very hard to turn, i see where the part is not cheap as usual, wondering has anyone tried a reman unit versus new? also i see where there is a recall for 13-19 rams with steering issues but looked over for my serial number on part but no numbers match with suspected recall numbers, doesnt mean mine doesnt fall under that recall, also read where the new/reman part will have to flash by the dealer and wondering has anyone been able to do that with the alpaob tool? thanks in advance.

TheSage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same problem as you with 74000 miles but no warranty as I purchased here in the states a Canadian Ram. Does the system have any fuses or other associated parts that can easily be checked by me? Nothing in the fuse box under the hood, and no info in the owner's manual. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

BeachRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had my rack replaced a couple of weeks ago. I was getting some suspension work done and had that shop do the rack too. They got it from Detroit Axel. Shipping got a little messed up and the shop couldn't flash my computer with what they had... needed to call in a favor from another shop....but it's all done and I'm very happy. Drives like it's brand new.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
Mine went out while on the interstate traveling, 85K on odometer, drove 400 miles with no PS. Checked 10A fuse by battery, reseated electrical connectors to unit, disconnected battery to reset the system, no dice. I did see one fresh drop of new pink fluid from seam on unit near electrical connection so must have had an internal seal fail which led to elec motor or belt failure. My serial no. is not on recall. From what i can tell searching online the dealer (MOPAR) units are rebuilt because they all have a $75 core charge. With the core charge best price I can find is around $1400 for P/N 68536636AB, no idea on labor to install One dealer would allow pickup for $5, shipping ranges from $100 to $300. Have feelers out to dealers in my South Texas area for cost and installation. Also will talk to a local mechanic the used car dealers use. If anybody is seeing cheaper part let me know. One ebay used unit is $700 but local pickup in MD only.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would be real nice if someone would dig into into why these Rack & Pinions are failing ...to share with others.

Is it a certain area on the circuit board?, the motor?, bad seal? or something else? I suspect when someone finally does uncover the root cause, it'll end up being a relatively inexpensive repair.

But for the OP, wasn't there a guy who recently found and installed one for ~$750?

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
Found a $600 BBB industries unit on RockAuto, CarID had one, too. Had to wait a week and then they showed just one available, so I ordered it and it came in a few days. The Mopar rebuilt from RockAuto just also came available, but its $800 more which is about what some discount dealer part sites are charging, if you can find one in stock. I did see a rebuild kit on amazon (belt and seals) for $59 but not sure what you do about the electronics, and didn't see anything about instructions, either.