2013 Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Double whammy

I bought my Ram 18 months ago and have only put about 1400 miles in 18 months.
So about 3 months ago I noticed a ticking noise and thought to be the Hemi tick.
Noise is getting louder but goes away in 30 seconds as truck heats up.

I get under the truck yesterday and I see the last manifold bolt broken on driver side. I can move the heat shield away with the bolt attached but broken in the manifold hole.

So im sure its the exhaust manifold that is leaking and quiets when it warms up.

So while im under there I see oil leaking/seeping from the oil pan not around the top but from the flat part where drain plug is. I was able to peel a piece of rust off. and it is seeping pretty good.

So truck is parked at this moment because of the oil leak dont know when and if it will really leak bad dont want to cease the engine lack of oil.

I contacted a friend who did a jeep 4.7 engine with broken manifold bolts and price was great.

So im here in Boston and go to Grava Dodge to order parts

Oil Pan Gasket
Oil Pan

Manifold
Manifold Gasket.

On the manifold he only showed 4 bolts and they are the ones with the end threat to put the heat shield back on with nuts. No other bolts. Im sure the manifold needs at least 8 bolts .

****Would anyone have a chrysler part # for the bolts on the driver side manifold and the nuts for the heat shield.

I did stop back at the shop and told the mechanic only 4 bolts and he said no you need 8 but the parts guy said it only showed 4. Easy fix just get 4 more bolts dont think I need the ones with extra thread for nuts on top. Shop is only 10 doors away so he can get what ever bolts needed.

I watched a youtube video and does not look to bad to remove the pan from a 2013 not like my 2004 pan.

So with a the manifold replacement and broken bolts fixed and others replaced>
Oil pan and gasket replaced, what do you all think what is a good price to have these 2 items replaced.

I paid for the parts from Chrysler and mechanic just the cost of labor/remove/install new parts.

I know I could of gotten after market parts but once truck is on lift I wanted correct parts and not have to return or re-order parts.

So if ya can post some prices and who ever comes close to what it will cost me I will owe you 2 cold BEERS LOL.

thanks Bob in Boston

Ramman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my exhaust bolts replaced on my 09 ram 1500 hemi and it ran 600$. That was parts and labor.

hope this helps.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply.

The person who is going to do the work will do the bolts on driver side
replace the oil pan. Labor is $600 for both.
I buy the pan and exhaust manifold and gaskets/bolts. parts total from chrysler/Dodge $600.00.
So total price for both parts and labor $1200.00.

I was hoping to not replace the exhaust manifold but mechanic says its most likely warped it only started the past 2-3 months and dont use the truck that much. 1400 miles in 18 months.

Well rather have the parts on hand so it wont hold up the repairs as the manifold had to be ordered 1-2 weeks delivery time.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update

I left my truck Tuesday for the oil pan and exhaust and bolts replaced. I got a call late Wednesday that all was done and he just wanted to make sure no oil leaks. So I said I would pick up Thursday morning.

New pan and gasket
new driver side exhaust/gasket and bolts

all parts from Chrysler/Dodge which I paid for the parts.

Total Labor was $760 included exhaust bolt kit and oil and filter.

Parts from Chrysler were $597.00.

total $1360.00 and took 2 days.

Exhaust had 2 broken bolts on driver side replaced all and had to drill and tap 1 of the bolts.

So I think it was a fair total price and time to replace both items.

I think after this truck i might give up on Rams as this is the second truck for a pan replacement had my 2004 done.

I guess Ram cant get it correct in the pans rusting out early and constant manifold bolts breaking and they wont cover anything unless under warranty.

Chow

David Moran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had the exact problem on my 2013 Ram 1500. It was still under warranty so the repair didn't cost anything other than the inconvenience. Six months later the loud ticking noise returned. Dodge dealer gave the same 'Hemi tick' explanation. One month later they took a closer look at it and one of the lifter rollers was flat on one spot and the rod was slightly bent. New cam, lifters, and timing chain later I got it back (2 weeks). All fixed under warranty but this Ram has been one problem after another.