2013 Ram 2500 Cummings Dead Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kitesurfer805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I am working on my dads 2013 Ram 2500, he has had one since 2000, he is currently 84 and can't work on it anymore. The truck is a 2013 cummings with 109K Mi. The problem is the car won't start, the dash 3" screen is dead and when you put the key fob in and turn the key nothing happens, its like a security system has activated or something. When you open the door, some lights go on around perimeter of the dash and you can see the mileage reading on the 3.5 inch screen, but when you put the key in the 3.5" screen shows nothing and nothing happens, the lock work but the windows will not work, the radio says the security was activated and needs a code, steering column is locked.

Prior activity to the issue, I had to replace his radiator hose, the Y adapter was leaking so I got that done, there was radiator fluid all over the engine so I sprayed the area off with brake cleaner, after that I added radiator fluid and burped the truck, i ran the engine and test drove the truck with no problems, parked the truck and gave him his keys, 4 days later he said the battery was dead, I checked the batteries and they were dead so I charged the batteries overnight, the next day I tried and got the results above, I put in new batteries and got the same results, the battery was disconnected overnight without the batteries connected.

Not sure why the batteries went dead, the lights were in auto mode so it wasn't the lights, not sure if that was the initial issue or not

OP
OP
K

kitesurfer805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
So far I have checked for codes and don't have any, I also took the WIN module out and cleaned with compressed air, I checked the wire harness coming to the WIN module and the red wire has 12 V. Is there a way to verify the transponder in the key is working?

OP
OP
K

kitesurfer805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I have come to the conclusion that my problem is the RF hub, does anybody have any recommendations here?, has this happen to anyone else? Am I in the wrong section?

I found a place where you can get the RF hub and 2 keys all programed for $800, Autotech electronics in Texas, I can only imagine what the dealer would charge.

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I believe you can change out the RFhub and program it yourself with Alfaobd for much less, the RFhub is only about $150, Alfaobd is a phone/computer app you would have to purchase, and you would also need an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter. If you search on this forum for Alfaobd and RFhub you should be able to find some info on it, I haven't done it myself so I'm not able to offer more help than that.

OP
OP
K

kitesurfer805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I took the back seat out to get the part # for the RF hub and the entire area was wet. The tool trays were full of water, behind the back access panel the area was all wet with sweat beads on everything. I think that maybe that’s why the RF hub may have quit working. Now I need to understand how the water got in. There are 2 vent / filter 6” squares on the back cab exterior, can those be leaking somehow

Gear Jammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The third brake light is a common area to leak on these trucks and will leak like what you are experiencing. I had that issue with mine and had to seal the third break light with silicone to fix the issue.

shicksjr01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a seal go bad around third brake light and had all the interior floor in back soaked. Check there first.