2013 Ram. Battery dies every month?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 Ram Big Horn, My battery drains at least once a month. I took it to the dealers and spent a day and found some draw but couldn't find where it's coming. The dash will not totally sleep. I have to carry a Battery booster all the time. Does anybody have the same problem?

La Ramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same issue. The electrician couldn't figure out what is draining the battery.
Once I replaced the alternator, I didn't face the issue again.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do some dash lights stay on? It takes quite a while for the computer and modules to *fully* go to it's final sleep state and it can be deceptive. I forget the exact time, if I recall it's in the 30 minute time frame. I would think the dealer would know that though. But I would chat with them about how they determined it, it to make sure it's not a newer-young guy.

Did they provide a recommendation for repair? (new cluster?)

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe the problem isn't that it's 'draining' ..but that it's not charging ...for a period. (bad cable connections/grounds/battery/etc)? Like NJ_Mopar said above (good call). If your battery has gone low a number of times it's strength could be compromised by now. That's one thing batteries don't like is repeated depletion (leads to sulfation of the lead plates). Just an idea. If you had a real-time scanner you could plug into your OBD port you could check it when you are driving.
Could be something as simple as a loose or glazed drive belt (or glazed alt pulley).

Long boring story:
I once had a Land Rover and it would charge great sitting/idling all day long, or driving around town at lower speeds. But going down the highway at hwy speeds, and esp driving at night with the lights on, the alternator resistance was just enough to cause the alternator pulley to start slipping. If I drove home at night, the battery would be depleted the next am. And also the dash cluster acted like it was possessed because the battery was low and not charging. The previous owner had taken the cluster apart a couple times and replaced it (why I got it cheap). But if I drove home and ran some errands around town, esp if it was during the day (which was most of my driving), the battery would charge up (slower engine speeds=less alt belt slippage) and it would start fine the next morning. So most of the time it started in the mornings, but sometimes it wouldn't.

This flummoxed the previous owner, his mechanic, myself and some others. I even had the alternator rebuilt, then re-tested (new battery/cables too). One day, a different alternator guy (second alternator shop) noticed right away the alternator pulley was pretty glazed and partly worn down (sharp ribs). Nothing wrong with the alternator though. I replaced the pulley with a new one and a new belt, and it's charged great under all driving conditions ever since (15+yrs ago) ...never had another problem again. And I've driven that thing out to the mountains and off-roading a few times.

The point I'm making is there could be other things, simple things, which are often overlooked which might be causing your issue. Sometimes it's the smallest issue that can spoof larger, expensive, head-scratching problems. Its not something a mechanic is going to find with his scanner.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not saying it's not your cluster, it could be. But experienced Ram owners know, and have seen ...and it's been widely reported on this forum many times, that when the battery gets real low or dying, or the cable connections/grounds are bad (or flaky), Ram dash clusters can act real funny like they're totally possessed. A lot of lights stay on, blinking, errant warnings which aren't accurate or make no sense. I've seen it on mine. It's unlike other vehicles I've owned in the past. So I would really encourage you to have your mechanic check out other aspects of your truck's electrical/charging system before dumping a lot of money into a new or used cluster.

Of course it could be the cluster, but I would suspect the cluster gets it's marching orders and power via the TIPM ...but I'm not 100% positive of that. But knowing this, you (or he) should completely exhaust charging or belt/pulley/alternator/cable connection/battery issues before going down the replace-cluster route. And if it does end up being the cluster at fault, you'll be better for it, knowing the charging system is in top shape and won't be the next issue (esp on a 2013). Hope it helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked the Alternator voltage . At idle is at 14.2. When I increase rpm to 1500 rpm with accessories, it wont go beyond 14 v.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I checked the Alternator voltage . At idle is at 14.2. When I increase rpm to 1500 rpm with accessories, it wont go beyond 14 v.

...at road speed? With lights, heater and stereo on?

If so, then I guess you can probably rule that out. Hmmm.......

Bugman2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had the same problem a few years ago after replacing instrument cluster. I think i narrowed it down by pulling fuses to see what was keeping the instrument cluster awake. Turns out when i pulled a fuse for the driver's door mirror the instrument cluster went to sleep. so we drove it for a few weeks without fuse to confirm and had to replace the whole mirror that's where the outside temperature sensor is located.
fast forward 5 years and i'm back on here searching because the truck now randomly dies while driving down the highway and goes electrically dead current solution is to disconnect the battery and reset the computer