2013 Ram Laramie dead battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michianaguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all and thank you for allowing me to join in your discussions. This is my first post and I’m hoping to be here often. Anyways, I have a 2013 Ram Laramie with a Hemi 5.7 and 20,000 original miles. Other than getting the original radio replaced for free I haven’t many problems with the truck…..until today. I want to preface this by saying that I drive the truck once or twice a week. I work an hour from home and have a fuel efficient car that is driven strictly to and from work. Anyways, the last time I used the truck was last Thursday to pull my bass boat to go fish. Everything ran fine and the truck started as normal. Today my wife went to drive the truck and it wouldn’t do anything when she tried to start it. At first there was just a “click” and the “immediate air suspension service/repair required” message came up on the dash. When I got home I tried to start it myself and the battery was so dead that I couldn’t even get that message to come back up. All of the interior lights in the truck would come on and I could still lock/unlock with the key fob but that’s it. I put a voltmeter on the battery and it was reading 9.3 volts. It’s currently on a charger in the garage but my question is this: Could the battery have just been limping along and finally died after a week of no use? Could the air suspension system be going bad and draining the battery? If indeed the battery IS bad would that cause the air suspension system to fully “relax” and give me that warning message? Thank you to everyone and anyone’s answer in advance!!!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+ 2 on replacing the battery, the air suspension should clear itself, but do check the 60 amp fuse for the compressor.

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
Not sure where you live, but in Fla batteries last about 3 to 5 years. The heat kills them.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
1. Remove and charge battery. 2. Test battery. 3. (More likely than not) replace battery. Low voltage will cause lights and warnings to pop up that are unrelated to the problem.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If a battery makes it 5 years I change it regardless. Been caught with a battery being good one day and dead the next, especially after 5 years!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As soon as you mentioned the short drive to work & back, i know that its battery related.
When your battery is fully charged & then you start it without driving it at least 10 miles & you start it to go home & don't drive at least 10 miles & you do that day after day.
All you are doing is drain the battery.
Then one day you take a 200 mile trip & build the battery back up.

A battery is not designed to have a life like that
Many owners would run a trickle charger, to help the battery out

So i will say, that if your Battery is the first battery that has been in that truck, you have been having unusual luck.

OP
OP
M

Michianaguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for all of the replies! It was indeed the battery. I took the battery out Friday night and hooked it up to my charger and let it go all night. Saturday morning when I got up it was only up to 10.4 volts so I replaced it. Problem solved. It was the original factory installed battery, also.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That battery sure didn't owe you anything. I replaced my 2013 battery last fall. It was still good, but I just didn't want to take a chance and figured I was lucky at that point. Maybe a suggestion, you might want to consider a "battery tender" since you only drive it once or twice a week. And, welcome to the forum.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow you got lucky on getting 8 years out of a battery.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Impressive battery life, espeically for OEM.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963