2013 with HOAT coolant in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Let me start out by saying I know this has been discussed a million times, I have read hours of stuff on it and still cannot figure what I have or what to do.

So everything I read says that starting in 2013 OAT is what was used. My coolant is clearly not purple, it is orange, not pink...orange. Truck is a 2013 HEMI, with 77K miles on it, if it's HOAT it's past needing to be flushed and if it's OAT is probably should be flushed soon too.

My problem is that I have read so many conflicting things that I have no idea if this orange in my truck is actually HOAT or the original orange OAT that may or may not have been produced and used before they changed OAT to purple. Took a cup full to a dealer, both parts guys were convinced it's orange HOAT. Tech who has worked there for 33yrs says it is definitely HOAT. My owner's manual says to use OAT, they ran my VIN and it specs OAT....but my factory fill is 100% orange and they all agreed and had no answer why orange HOAT would be in a 2013....except the 33yr tech said some early 2013's may have gotten leftover HOAT......may have. My manufacture date is 5/13. When I brought up that FCA possibly originally used orange OAT when it first came out, then changed the die to purple, they looked at me sideways.

Regardless, I need to do a flush anyway so I will. But is it best to re-fill with orange HOAT (5yr) or step up to what is specified for my truck and use the purple OAT? If I do use the OAT, how well do I have to flush the orange HOAT out to the point that I won't have a problem with OAT being put back in? Flush with water, run it up to temp driving around and repeat 2-3 times? Use a specific radiator flush chemical? Or is the only true way to keep is safe to re-use HOAT....but again, is there a chance that the orange in there is actually OAT that was originally orange??

Thanks for any help/answers. The only thing that keeps this from running around in my head is bourbon.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
09-12 takes OAT 13+ is HOAT. I put OAT in my 12 as that is what I was told. Honestly I would call your local dodge dealer and give them your VIN and ask them. That is what I have done a lot to avoid confusion. I ran into that when I switched out my power steering fluid.

Armkb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
09-12 takes OAT 13+ is HOAT. I put OAT in my 12 as that is what I was told. Honestly I would call your local dodge dealer and give them your VIN and ask them. That is what I have done a lot to avoid confusion. I ran into that when I switched out my power steering fluid.
Wrong! 2013+ OAT!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Page 672

Adding Coolant Your vehicle has been built with an improved engine coolant (antifreeze) that allows extended maintenance intervals. This engine coolant (antifreeze) can be used up to ten years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km) before replacement. To prevent reducing this extended maintenance period, it is important that you use the same engine coolant (antifreeze) throughout the life of your vehicle. Please review these recommendations for using Organic Additive Technology (OAT) engine coolant (antifreeze). When adding engine coolant (antifreeze): • We recommend using MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology). • Mix a minimum solution of 50% OAT engine coolant and distilled water. Use higher concentrations (not to exceed 70%) if temperatures below −34° F (−37° C) are anticipated. • Use only high purity water such as distilled or deionized water when mixing the water/engine coolant (antifreeze) solution. The use of lower quality water will reduce the amount of corrosion protection in the engine cooling system.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My coolant is clearly not purple, it is orange, not pink...orange. Truck is a 2013 HEMI, with 77K miles on it, if it's HOAT it's past needing to be flushed and if it's OAT is probably should be flushed soon too.
What color is the coolant when it's hot? The OAT coolant is notorious for changing from purple to an orangeish/rose color that's similar to it's HOAT counterpart. The OAT in mine turns back more purple when the engine is warm, although having a degas bottle makes this easier to see.
Don't know how good you could see the coolant color in the radiator neck or possibly drain a half gallon out an heat it up in a pan.
The OAT coolant is actually rated for 10 years or 150K miles.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
If the coolant is original from 2014
I wouldn’t question wether it needed changing because the CTS probably needs to be looked at in anyway.

If your Coolant is transparent instead of opaque or cloudy that could help with visual identification because Orange is also the color of corrosion / rust contamination.

Is your radiator pressure cap original ?
Inspect the rubber gasket does it have a particulate film on it? Also look at the cap for signs of rust.

Pressure test the cooling system and the radiator pressure cap to make sure it holds pressure.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Good read

It is additives that have compatibilty issues, not base, at least between oat and hoat coolants. Peak Global Life is rare and a perfect coolant as it has no additives, just oat base. So it doesn't matter if you have HOAT or OAT, Peak Global Life will be compatible. You can see both mopar oat and HOAT ingredient list in that thread, the base is generally the same, the additives are different. Because the way those coolants work, it is additives that provide early protection, and the base that provides long term protection. You no longer need early protection, the film is already established. I wouldnt do all that flushing if it were me, just drain what you can and put back peak global life. Look at the msds in that thread, peak listed too. This specific coolant is somewhat of a cult following at BITOG for this very reason. Every three years or so, just drain radiator and put back fresh peak global life call it a day.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have seen mopar oat look orange too, it is a quagmire pile of t e r d. Since we dont know for sure what it is in there, either choice will work good with peak global life.

OP
OP
S

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks Burla, I read that other thread as well, lost of good info in there. I'm still totally confused on what the hell is in my truck, other than it is without a doubt orange, not pink at all and definitely not purple. It's 100% orange no matter what temp it's at. Dealer parts guys and tech said they have never seen or heard of orange OAT 10yr/150K, so were convinced I have HOAT in it, but the interwebs tell me there is a chance I have orange OAT and without a refractometer I have no way to know for sure.

I like your idea of using the Peak Global Lifetime, but rather than just drain the radiator and re-fill, I may re-fill with water and run through, just to do a quick cleaning. 77K miles and I can see some sentiment when I take the radiator cap off. Maybe just re-fill with Global Lifetime and do it again in 100 miles. Good to know I will be safe to re-fill with the Global Lifetime after a quick flush though. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went thru this a few years back with my 2013. Rather than take the chance I flushed it with distilled water and refilled with Mopar OAT.

What build date is your truck? Mine was 12/12

OP
OP
S

Southbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Build date is 5/13, so kind of far into the 2013 build cycle, which is why I am even more confused and don't trust what anyone says just based on color.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know for Jeeps they made the switch in 2013 model year. Early builds had HOAT later builds like mine had OAT. I would guess it was the same for everything.

OAT does turn orange/pink over time. The best way to tell is suck a little out and look at it in a glass jar. The overflow tank makes it harder to see the true color.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Build date is 5/13, so kind of far into the 2013 build cycle, which is why I am even more confused and don't trust what anyone says just based on color.
You see the msds on either mopar coolant here...

Ten year Mopar Oat.

88-95% ethylene glycol
5% diethylene glycol
1% Hydrated inorganic acid, organic acid salts

5 Year Mopar HOAT

60%-100% ethylene glycol (Obviously is is way over 60%)
7-13% diethylene glycol
<10% Sodium tetraborate and benzoate

Never mind color, this is what makes up both coolants. If you read that thread, you see many options for different coolants broken down just like that. The lifetime and universal fills can be added to either because it is just the base, no additives. point being, peak global life will likely be added to either with no compatibility issues, because in fact it is only additives that cause issues, not base, when we are talking about hoat and oat. All the paper out there, it is additives that has caused the damages.

Here is peak global life msdss.

ethylene glycol 90-97%
diethylene glycol <5%

The only other additives are water and a bitterant so people dont drink it.

So you see a true universal coolant here, no additives. This is why this coolant is so popular at BITOG and by some long term members around here. There are no additives that can cause compatibility issues. It is simply coolant base. Now, the reason this is not factory fill is because you need additives in new vehicles until the coolant base populates the surface, on the surface is protected like in older rams, you no longer need the additives, just a universal coolant. Peak Gloabl Life is an option for you with either coolant, and is clear yellow so wont turn you coolant te rd brown. Peak global life if the one next to the range mopar hoat. At least your new coolant will be a version of orange yellow clearness.

antifreeze-colors-photo-mod_0-jpg.478011

Last edited:

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Let me start out by saying I know this has been discussed a million times, I have read hours of stuff on it and still cannot figure what I have or what to do.

So everything I read says that starting in 2013 OAT is what was used. My coolant is clearly not purple, it is orange, not pink...orange. Truck is a 2013 HEMI, with 77K miles on it, if it's HOAT it's past needing to be flushed and if it's OAT is probably should be flushed soon too.

My problem is that I have read so many conflicting things that I have no idea if this orange in my truck is actually HOAT or the original orange OAT that may or may not have been produced and used before they changed OAT to purple. Took a cup full to a dealer, both parts guys were convinced it's orange HOAT. Tech who has worked there for 33yrs says it is definitely HOAT. My owner's manual says to use OAT, they ran my VIN and it specs OAT....but my factory fill is 100% orange and they all agreed and had no answer why orange HOAT would be in a 2013....except the 33yr tech said some early 2013's may have gotten leftover HOAT......may have. My manufacture date is 5/13. When I brought up that FCA possibly originally used orange OAT when it first came out, then changed the die to purple, they looked at me sideways.

Regardless, I need to do a flush anyway so I will. But is it best to re-fill with orange HOAT (5yr) or step up to what is specified for my truck and use the purple OAT? If I do use the OAT, how well do I have to flush the orange HOAT out to the point that I won't have a problem with OAT being put back in? Flush with water, run it up to temp driving around and repeat 2-3 times? Use a specific radiator flush chemical? Or is the only true way to keep is safe to re-use HOAT....but again, is there a chance that the orange in there is actually OAT that was originally orange??

Thanks for any help/answers. The only thing that keeps this from running around in my head is bourbon.
It is confusing to say the least. When ever I bought a truck. Old/new I dump it the same month and change to Evans waterless. Sure it costs more but has superior heat transfer and forget freezing. Unless your below -41. I use an engine heater on one truck only. I know that no matter what it will start. I have this bad habit of hunting moose and ice fishing, in the winter.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know for Jeeps they made the switch in 2013 model year. Early builds had HOAT later builds like mine had OAT. I would guess it was the same for everything.

OAT does turn orange/pink over time. The best way to tell is suck a little out and look at it in a glass jar. The overflow tank makes it harder to see the true color.
I was going to comment on this point. There was a switch in coolant specifications mid-year 2014 builds. The color of the factory coolant didn't match up with what AutoZone was telling me. When the dealer's parts person looked up my VIN it called out for the newer coolant (Mopar 10-year, 150,000 mile, MS12106, 68163849AA) which is a bluish purple. Comparing it to the stuff I used in early 2014s which was orange in color (5-year, 100,000 mile, MS9769, 05066386AA).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 062250 miles.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Antifreeze color does not mean a thing
there are way too manufacturers that use whatever color they feel like

According to the 2013 Ram owners manual
all engines use OAT coolant

check page 711

FLUIDS, LUBRICANTS AND GENUINE PARTS
Engine Component Fluid, Lubricant, or Genuine Part Engine
Coolant
We recommend you use MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/ 150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology)

Somewhere else, it mentions that you should not use Mopar OAT coolant made for Fiats, it uses a different I.D. #, for European vehicles