2014 1500 Climate Control Won't Turn On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigshaff44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2014 Ram 1500 and last week the climate control stopped working. I have the 8.4 Radio and have been have issues with the radio since the last Uconnect update. The radio had been freezing up for a couple minutes pretty much every time I started the truck. Last week the climate control stopped turning on. I suspect it's something to do with the last update. I talked to Uconnect's tech service, they said to take it to a dealership. My warranty's up, so I would prefer to fix it myself if possible. Any ideas? Here's a link showing a video of the issue.
https://youtu.be/uZSfSGaz46I

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normally I would say to check your heater control module that is located near the bottom of your glovebox. In this case it would be pretty coincidental that your heater control module would happen to to go out as soon as you updated your firmware even though it is possible . It is unfortunate that your warranty is up on your truck. It would seem that your latest update affected the radio. I have read posts of several people having issues after the update but I have not seen this exact issue. First thing I would suggest is reloading the firmware and see if it helps. If that doesn't help you might want to try doing a factory reset on the radio and see if it may help. If you get nothing from that you may want to try the control module. They run around 80.00 or so. If you have a friend with a 13 or newer Ram with the 8.4 you can install there radio in your truck and see if it corrects your problem. All you would need to do is get the unlock code to install it in your truck. It is easy to swap the radios in these trucks and just switch it back after you check to see if it helps. Keep us updated and let us know how it goes. Usually these things can be figured out with a little research.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Also,
Based on the symptoms, it's unlikely but..
have you popped the radio bezel off and reseated the HVAC bezel connectors and checked to make sure none of the pins have pushed out of the connectors?

As Rick suggested it may be the HVAC module that is mounted behind the passenger side vent. Not sure what the pn is exactly for your factory 8.4 truck so you would have to pop it out and look.
77257cbba8e455a7ce217a37adf5d8d8.jpg
Picture Reference: posts 5, 6, & 7
5090a58a73c3ebc73521b5cedcfb659c.jpg

If it was just the radio, I would think that the bezel knobs would be able to turn on some of the HVAC functions like fan, defrost, etc. but they didn't seem to be working either so the module or a wiring issue seems more likely.

You can always reload the radio sw but first, are you able to verify the radio pn and sw version from the dealer menu...

Press HOT + COLD + FRONT DEFROST at the same time for 3 secs to get into the menu.
The Pn on your factory radio, if it's an RA4 (w/nav), likely is ... 68224525xx

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigshaff44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have tried reloading the software and resetting the radio, neither worked. I am heading out town, I'll check the plugs this weekend and see if that does it. I tried swapping relays in the fuse box and that didn't fix it. I bet it's the Heater Control Module. I have a couple recalls that need taken care of, so I may take it for that and see what the dealer would charge me to figure it out. I appreciate the help.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Keep us updated.

Note: you can contact Benny at AllMoparParts.com (or via Pm on the forum), they are a preferred vendor here and he can verify the pn of the HVAC module in your truck using your VIN if you want to swap it out yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigshaff44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will do. If I decide to do it myself I'll reach out to Benny.

OP
OP
B

bigshaff44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep us updated.

Note: you can contact Benny at AllMoparParts.com (or via Pm on the forum), they are a preferred vendor here and he can verify the pn of the HVAC module in your truck using your VIN if you want to swap it out yourself.

What's Benny's name so I can PM him?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

BearSami

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2014 Ram 1500 and last week the climate control stopped working. I have the 8.4 Radio and have been have issues with the radio since the last Uconnect update. The radio had been freezing up for a couple minutes pretty much every time I started the truck. Last week the climate control stopped turning on. I suspect it's something to do with the last update. I talked to Uconnect's tech service, they said to take it to a dealership. My warranty's up, so I would prefer to fix it myself if possible. Any ideas? Here's a link showing a video of the issue.

BearSami

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, we’re you able to fix this problem with your climate control not Turing on? I ask because I’m going through the same problem with mine (as shown in your video).

TDM816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a simular problem with my 2013. Radio Console went blank while driving and rebooted. Radio, GPS, etc.. all worked except climate control. A/C light was lit on hard key but would not turn off or on when pushed. Eventually it went off and now no A/C hard controls work or climate control. Replaced HVAC module with same part number ordered off ebay. Still not working. checked climate control fuse, good, have to drive with windows down even in rain or windshield fogs up.. Any ideals?

Chancey36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have the same problem. I think the diagnosis is the same. I am reaching out for a replacement module. However here is my issue. I located a module too the right off the glove box but when I looked up the part# it comes up as a transfer case module. I have a 2014 3500 Ram 4x4, 6.7L MegaCab. Is the the same module if not where is it located?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Chancey36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Ends up that this was indeed the correct module and the part was superseded. Replaced it and all my AC controls came back.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

laramieRamj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am havin the same issue. How much are you guys paying for this module?

TDM816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a simular problem with my 2013. Radio Console went blank while driving and rebooted. Radio, GPS, etc.. all worked except climate control. A/C light was lit on hard key but would not turn off or on when pushed. Eventually it went off and now no A/C hard controls work or climate control. Replaced HVAC module with same part number ordered off ebay. Still not working. checked climate control fuse, good, have to drive with windows down even in rain or windshield fogs up.. Any ideals?
My climate control started working after this post and just last week, the system rebooted again a few times and the last time the climate control would not turn o again. Any suggestions?

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey... glad to read this post as I to am having a similar issue. I used AC for the first time this year. THe next morning the radio did not boot immeadiately, which concerned me, although it finally did come on after about 2 minutes. During this time no climate controls or radio controls worked. I also got a faint whiff of burnt electrical coming from passenger side. I took it to mechanic friend to put on his computer and pulled codes indicating that is lost communication to the radio, communication to some module and communication to another module. Funny thing is sometimes the radio and climate controls come right up, maybe 20% of the time like they should, but other times I have to wait 2 minutes to get anything to work.

I am going to dig out that HVAC module and sniff it. I hope it is burnt and I will then get another.

Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye