2014 1500 gas tank issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylankeller94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a weird one for you guys. I have a 2014 1500 and when the truck is running it sounds like there is a little exhaust leak. I went over the whole exhaust and zero leaks, I then noticed that it was coming from the fuel tank. It sounds like air is escaping from the top of the tank somewhere, which would explain my check gas cap light. Before I drop the tank and try to figure out where it’s coming from has anyone had this happen? If so what was the cause?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Dylankeller94

Have you carefully inspected the gas cap gasket? I have corrected a similar issue on at least 6 other vehicles, some were mine and most belonged to friends or family.

The last such fix was on a 2014 Elentra GT showing an error code. The gasket looked great but the top of the filler neck where it meets the gasket was course with rust. I stuffed a rag into the filler neck and used emery paper to smooth out the surface. The code cleared and trouble finished.

OP
OP
Dylankeller94

Dylankeller94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Dylankeller94

Have you carefully inspected the gas cap gasket? I have corrected a similar issue on at least 6 other vehicles, some were mine and most belonged to friends or family.

The last such fix was on a 2014 Elentra GT showing an error code. The gasket looked great but the top of the filler neck where it meets the gasket was course with rust. I stuffed a rag into the filler neck and used emery paper to smooth out the surface. The code cleared and trouble finished.

Yes I have, I cleaned the filler neck and replaced the gas cap with OEM and used a light coat of Vaseline on the Oring. I can still hear air escaping with a strong smell of fuel.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I have, I cleaned the filler neck and replaced the gas cap with OEM and used a light coat of Vaseline on the Oring. I can still hear air escaping with a strong smell of fuel.
Well, it was worth asking.

I've never wanted to screw around with a fuel tank leak. I'd much sooner pay someone to mess around with that sort of timebomb project.

The additional labour cost over the cost of parts made it a no-brainer for me, although, that was many years ago and less expensive than these days. YMMV

Let us know how you proceed and anything you discover. :)

This YouTube link shows a tank removal/re-installation on a 2014 Ram 1500.

Last edited: