2014 5.7L Knock/Tick/Tap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Curt Gobbell

Curt Gobbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I'd like to provide some closing remarks on this engine repair.

1. Many thanks to all who chimed in and helped.
2. This DIY https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-hemi-cam-installation.82531/ was extremely helpful
3. If you have to do a similar engine tear-down I would like to add the following helpful tips
  • go ahead and remove the radiator, transmission lines and A/C lines so you can easily climb in the engine bay and work. It may take 2 hours to remove, but it will be well worth it as you spend 10+ hours bent over working on your engine
  • label every connection you disconnect with an "A1" and "A2" label so you can match it up days later
  • put all removed bolts back into the hole they came out of (big must)
  • while you have items removed, check all pulley bearings, water pump bearing and A/C compressor for play. Now is the time to replace if needed
  • if you disconnect your AC lines, be sure to check beforehand if you have R134a or HFO-1234yf fittings. THEY ARE DIFFERENT and HFO 1234yf is much more expensive

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like to provide some closing remarks on this engine repair.

1. Many thanks to all who chimed in and helped.
2. This DIY https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4th-gen-hemi-cam-installation.82531/ was extremely helpful
3. If you have to do a similar engine tear-down I would like to add the following helpful tips
  • go ahead and remove the radiator, transmission lines and A/C lines so you can easily climb in the engine bay and work. It may take 2 hours to remove, but it will be well worth it as you spend 10+ hours bent over working on your engine
  • label every connection you disconnect with an "A1" and "A2" label so you can match it up days later
  • put all removed bolts back into the hole they came out of (big must)
  • while you have items removed, check all pulley bearings, water pump bearing and A/C compressor for play. Now is the time to replace if needed
  • if you disconnect your AC lines, be sure to check beforehand if you have R134a or HFO-1234yf fittings. THEY ARE DIFFERENT and HFO 1234yf is much more expensive
Great advice[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

MikeysCars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Below are pics of the internals after I pulled the heads.

In summary, the engine is a 5.7L from a 2014 Ram with 145k miles. I am the 3rd owner and I got lucky, as I stopped driving the truck after the knock appeared and no extended damage occurred.

After pulling the heads, I found the following;
  • one MDS lifter had collapsed due to an internal spring break which wedged the internal portion shut and causing a 1/4" gap between the tappet and the pushrod (#7 intake)
  • cam lobes looked great (smooth, no gouging)...had to use a mirror and flashlight on the back one :(
  • lifter rollers looked great, even the failed lifter had a good roller (one roller did have some grinding as I rotated it)
  • all pushrods were straight and the ends did not show signs of damage
  • oil control valve was extremely clean

View attachment 227745 View attachment 227746 View attachment 227747 View attachment 227748 View attachment 227749
That's one the cleanest 145k engines I've seen. I think you have a lot of miles left in that yet! Good luck!