2014 6.7 4wd service electronic braking system warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
While driving off road on very washboard roads this warning light came on along with the Brake light and Brake Fluid Low warning light. The stabilization control light is on as well. This also disables cruise control. I have drained the reservoir and added new brake fluid above the max line to no avail. Brakes still work fine with no noticeable problems other than no cruise control. Research on You Tube point towards rear wheel speed sensors and a whole bunch of other options. I'm not a go to the dealer for anything but recalls guy and do all my own work-maintenance. Looking for others experiences and fixes.

Hugh Johnson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Did you check the level switch for the brake fluid reservoir?

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I'll check that next. Drained and filled the reservoir to max line and scanned the abs no codes.

Raymillsus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Try deleting them and see if they come back. I get codes from time to time and delete the code if they come back then I worry about them.

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Midas scanned today to find codes. Brake fluid low, It's not. Steering wheel position sensor, and one other I forgot. They want $120.00 for brake system diagnostic refunded if they do the work. I asked if they could just delete the codes and worry about it if they come back. He says legally no without doing any work. I try to do all my own work but steering wheel sensor sounds intimidating. Since I was on real rough road when all this started I think a code erase would do it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You can pick up an OBD code reader on Ebay or at an auto parts store for super cheap. I think I got one for around $50. It's a super handy tool to have and you can clear your own codes.

I've had similar things to what you describe but they just go away after a bit. The fact that you are getting multiple codes all at once and you know at least some are false makes me think maybe just a loose wire or connector somewhere.

MLNLB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am curious what fixes yours. I have abs code U1418 which leads to a bad sensor on passenger side but I havent checked them yet.

My main concern, and keep this in mind, is it seems to have disabled my electronic 4 wheel drive. I will be looking into a bypass for that. Not a big deal if you have the floor shifter but i dont want to lose 4 wheel drive over a bad sensor [emoji849] And yes, the cruise control also which is the dumbest **** I have ever seen. No reason for disabling either of them, the traction control yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Have you tried to clear that code and see if it comes back? I am looking for recommendations now for a code reader that can clear ABS codes not just read them. It's my impression that some codes can only be cleared by the dealer or very expensive code readers.

MLNLB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you tried to clear that code and see if it comes back? I am looking for recommendations now for a code reader that can clear ABS codes not just read them. It's my impression that some codes can only be cleared by the dealer or very expensive code readers.
I have an older version of the one pictured below and it has worked great for years. I used it daily while working in the auto industry.

As far as MY issue, it came back right after clearing them. 78a366db6bdf4542861b1f1735e1b9f1.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I have removed the brake fluid level sensor and checked continuity in the vehicle and out. Both ways none but I can activate it with a magnet when out on the bench. I'm using a very strong magnet so maybe it's still defective. I have jumpered the wires feeding the sensor with same results with Brake warning light and service electronic brake system, and brake fluid low warnings still come up. Since I can't delete those codes I'm thinking of leaving the wires jumpered and disconnect the batteries to reset everything to make the computer think all is well on that brake fluid level sensor. Any reason I should not try this before I blow it up.

MLNLB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have removed the brake fluid level sensor and checked continuity in the vehicle and out. Both ways none but I can activate it with a magnet when out on the bench. I'm using a very strong magnet so maybe it's still defective. I have jumpered the wires feeding the sensor with same results with Brake warning light and service electronic brake system, and brake fluid low warnings still come up. Since I can't delete those codes I'm thinking of leaving the wires jumpered and disconnect the batteries to reset everything to make the computer think all is well on that brake fluid level sensor. Any reason I should not try this before I blow it up.
It "shouldn't" hurt. [emoji16] Switch is either open or closed. Worth a try.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am curious what fixes yours. I have abs code U1418 which leads to a bad sensor on passenger side but I havent checked them yet.

My main concern, and keep this in mind, is it seems to have disabled my electronic 4 wheel drive. I will be looking into a bypass for that. Not a big deal if you have the floor shifter but i dont want to lose 4 wheel drive over a bad sensor [emoji849] And yes, the cruise control also which is the dumbest **** I have ever seen. No reason for disabling either of them, the traction control yes.

Well, just so you know, even with the manual shift t-case you will not have 4wd when the abs speed sensor does not work. I know this because i was doing a trial and error at switching the ground on it in attempt to make a switch to shut the traction control system and abs off. When unplugged, 4wd would not work with the manual t-case in my power wagon :favorites68: STUPID

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Picked up a new brake fluid reservoir from the dealer today. Testing continuity it seems my original is fine but I will change and bleed all fluid. At this time I have disconnected both batteries and will let it drain overnight. Trying to erase the code-error message hopefully. Upon reconnect tomorrow any special procedures required? I will be looking real hard for loose connections too.

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Update; I have replaced the brake fluid reservoir including the brake fluid level sensor. No change. Brake light is still on and messages indicate "brake fluid low" and "service electronic brake system". Tire shop used a Snap On scanner to clear all codes. Brake fluid low and service electronic brake system persist. Brake fluid low says "open circuit". Any ideas?

MLNLB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Update; I have replaced the brake fluid reservoir including the brake fluid level sensor. No change. Brake light is still on and messages indicate "brake fluid low" and "service electronic brake system". Tire shop used a Snap On scanner to clear all codes. Brake fluid low and service electronic brake system persist. Brake fluid low says "open circuit". Any ideas?
Next step would be to check continuity on the wires from the sensor to the computer. You will probably need a wire diagram to determine which pins the level sensor are at the computer end. Unfortunately they can be hard to get unless you know someone with access. May be available online somewhere.

You can visually check the harness for rub through, could be a break in the wire somewhere.

You can also check for power and ground at the plug. Dont remember what voltage they send out, thought Chrysler was using 5 volts.

If the sensor is good, you have good continuity from the sensor to the computer, could be a computer problem. Definitely would not be a first as far as Chrysler is concerned.

OP
OP
T

Tinsey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Yes, before I go unwrapping wires to check for bare or broken insulation I would love to check continuity between the sensor and computer. Unfortunately I am more mechanical minded than electrical. I can do continuity but need help finding the pins on the computer. Can anyone here help. I do have a shop manual but electrical diagrams are hard for me.