2014 Dodge Ram 1500 shifter stuck in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike Buell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I jump in my truck and turn it on one night and it runs fine but I see a message square between the gadges, center dashboard saying service shifter. Well I tried to put her in gear anyways and that *** was stuck like glue. (Yes my foot was on the break while trying to shift). Iv owned this truck for 18000 miles now and not once have I had this problem. I made many attempts at starting and turning off the truck to fix the problem and depressing the break peddle many time. Then I called Chrysler road side assistance and got a tow truck on its way to pick up my truck and take it to a dealer except while I was waiting I did some reading and saw someone else had this problem and if you shut off the truck and jump on one foot about 15 feet from the truck with the keys in your hand and cursing and yelling at the top of your lungs then try to restart it that it will work... ( yes I reworded some things their) and so I did go stand away from the truck with the fob in hand and waited quietly then got back in and shabammm it started with no messages and shifted in gear like nothing was ever wrong. Now I called the dealership and explained all this over the phone and they say since it is an intermittent problem they likly can not do anything unless the problem happens for them.... :flipthebird::puke::homoswitch::3681700201_eef6d1e2 anyone know what to do to fix this or how to explain to the dealership that I don't want an unreliable pos in my name. Bottom line the setting of the key for trick may not always work and I can't Aford to be stuck out ice fishing with a truck that won't drive

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
So I jump in my truck and turn it on one night and it runs fine but I see a message square between the gadges, center dashboard saying service shifter. Well I tried to put her in gear anyways and that *** was stuck like glue. (Yes my foot was on the break while trying to shift). Iv owned this truck for 18000 miles now and not once have I had this problem. I made many attempts at starting and turning off the truck to fix the problem and depressing the break peddle many time. Then I called Chrysler road side assistance and got a tow truck on its way to pick up my truck and take it to a dealer except while I was waiting I did some reading and saw someone else had this problem and if you shut off the truck and jump on one foot about 15 feet from the truck with the keys in your hand and cursing and yelling at the top of your lungs then try to restart it that it will work... ( yes I reworded some things their) and so I did go stand away from the truck with the fob in hand and waited quietly then got back in and shabammm it started with no messages and shifted in gear like nothing was ever wrong. Now I called the dealership and explained all this over the phone and they say since it is an intermittent problem they likly can not do anything unless the problem happens for them.... :flipthebird::puke::homoswitch::3681700201_eef6d1e2 anyone know what to do to fix this or how to explain to the dealership that I don't want an unreliable pos in my name. Bottom line the setting of the key for trick may not always work and I can't Aford to be stuck out ice fishing with a truck that won't drive

Did you have the brake pedal all the way down? Not joking or being an *******. I've gotten that message before and that was the issue.

OP
OP
M

mike Buell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you have the brake pedal all the way down? Not joking or being an *******. I've gotten that message before and that was the issue.
Hey sbuko 213 did you read to original post about me saying I did fully depress my foot on the break prior to attempting to operate the shifter yes sure you sure are a funny one

ozzyrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been driving a 2014 Ram 1500 for 3 months now, bought it new on New Year's Eve. So I've had the same issue about 6 times now. Been trying to see some rhyme or reason. Yes, I've got my foot planted firmly on the brake but it won't shift out of park. Release the shift lever, remove foot from brake, re-apply the brake and it still won't shift out of park.
Each time it's happened I was finally able to get it to shift but this isn't my idea of a dependable vehicle.
I haven't confirmed it yet but I don't think I'm hearing the normal sound you'll hear when you put your foot on the brake while it's in park, probably the relay that releases the shift lever, probably attached to the brake light switch I would guess.
Talked with the service writer at the local Dodge dealer today, he didn't have any great ideas. Next time it happens I think I'm going to have them (dodge) replace the brake switch that controls the shifting lock.
Anyone else having this issue?

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
assuming you have the 8 speed? haven't had this issue yet but there seems to be all kinds of little hiccups. my latest issues is my cruise control not working then suddenly it'll start working again

ozzyrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
assuming you have the 8 speed? haven't had this issue yet but there seems to be all kinds of little hiccups. my latest issues is my cruise control not working then suddenly it'll start working again

Yes, it's the 8 speed. No other problems with the truck.

ozzyrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I'm also having an intermittent problem with not being able to turn on the cruise, most of the time it works fine but sometimes it just won't turn on.

Beginning to think the electronics in this truck is a POS.
:Frustrated::mad3:

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've had the issue with the shifter in mine but I realized that I tried to shift out of park without pressing the brake and locked the shifter. I turned off the truck, removed the key and took my foot of the pedals and waited a few seconds for the truck to realize that nothing was happening and then I was able to just start the truck up and go like normal. I didn't have to move away from the truck with my fob. I have the regular fob not the proximity fab. Do you have the push button start on the dash?

I'm also having an intermittent problem with not being able to turn on the cruise, most of the time it works fine but sometimes it just won't turn on.

That issue with the cruise control might be the steering wheel clock spring.
We had something similar happen with my daughters car. It wasn't working reliably. The dealer replaced her clock spring and fixed it.

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
this really is one of those threads that is useless without pics

maybe just play the isely bros tune on the radio
you "jump and shout"

now i hope the dealer finds and solves your issue
brianj

ozzyrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the issue with the shifter in mine but I realized that I tried to shift out of park without pressing the brake and locked the shifter. I turned off the truck, removed the key and took my foot of the pedals and waited a few seconds for the truck to realize that nothing was happening and then I was able to just start the truck up and go like normal. I didn't have to move away from the truck with my fob. I have the regular fob not the proximity fab. Do you have the push button start on the dash?

That issue with the cruise control might be the steering wheel clock spring.
We had something similar happen with my daughters car. It wasn't working reliably. The dealer replaced her clock spring and fixed it.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the regular FOB, no push button start. I've tried to duplicate this problem (won't shift out of park) several ways but it only seems to happen at the most inconvenient times, one time while waiting for a train I put it in park or another time in the drive thru at McDonalds. Kind of embarrassing when you can't go when it's time.

I know you need to have your foot on the brake before you can shift out of park. I've tried it without my foot on the brake to test that theory but it worked as soon as I put my foot on the brake so it's not like that causes it to fail.

When you put your foot on the brake with it in park you hear two distinct noises when it's working correctly. First, you hear a click sound which I assume is the relay that allows it to come out of park. Then you hear a kind of whooshing sound as the pedal depresses.
When I'm having the issue, it doesn't make the "click" sound which leads me to believe it's related to the switch/relay connected to the brake. I've found that when it happens (so far), if I take my foot off the brake and count to 30 then try again it works. Go figure.

I'm afraid they've got the processor overloaded doing other stuff and sometimes it just can't handle the load.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well if the switch is bad that would be the same as not putting your foot an the brake wouldn't it?
Seems like it would do it when you tried it without braking so I can't think of what it could be other than that.

Last edited:

ozzyrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if the switch is bad that would be the same as not putting your foot an the brake wouldn't it?
Seems like it would do it when you tried it without braking so I can't think of what it could be other than that.

It works as it should when the brakes are not applied, won't shift out of park. Seems like the switch is intermittent.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There were issues with shifter knobs in some of the 14's. My brother in-law had to have his replaced under warranty.

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
How would pics help the issue? I think we all understand what the problem is. :)

i wanted pics of the jumping and shouting not the dial
it would be nice to see some else get as frustrated as i do some times and since my jumping and shouting doesn't help i wanted to see his technique
after reading other posts it does sound like the brake light circuit may be the problem ,i am watching to see the answer

rjwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't have the stuck shifter problem until the dealer installed my back up cam. Now it won't shift and they ordered a new shifter. Tomorrow will be the third day they have had my truck and I have to say I'm getting frustrated.

ozzyrral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't have the stuck shifter problem until the dealer installed my back up cam. Now it won't shift and they ordered a new shifter. Tomorrow will be the third day they have had my truck and I have to say I'm getting frustrated.

You have to love all the new technology!

Hope they get you fixed up soon. Weird, I have't experienced the shifting problem or the cruise problem for several weeks now. Maybe it was just something the truck needed to get out of it's system.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beginning to think the electronics in this truck is a POS.
:Frustrated::mad3:

and you wouldn't be wrong. i don't know about the actual quality but there's just so much that depends on electronics something is bound to fail. every week or so the electronics seems to do something weird then usually recovers on it's own but occasionally i have to pull over and restart the truck. my latest issue is the FOB getting stuck in the ignition which requires me to start the truck again and put it back into gear

my dealer has also complained about the uconnect systems saying they have to be the worst on the market. my uconnect 5 has been replaced twice in the year i've owned it and the tech said that 75% of the trucks they sell have had the radio replaced at least once. apparently they are also very expensive so that has to be costing Chrysler quite a bit and has me worried about what's gonna happen when my warranty runs out

janitzio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Problems with Shifter button - 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Black Express 2WD

I bought this truck brand new in 2014. First 4000 miles, first issue with the truck. I was driving, I got to a light, and the truck automatically went to parking. I did not pay that much attention, put it back in drive and continued driving. I mentioned to the dealer that issue and I was told that if their computer did not show a code, they couldn't do anything. I had the same problem on other occasions, and took it to the dealership again. The truck had 28k miles. They put it in for inspection, and the same response. Their computer did not register a problem, and without a code, they couldn't do anything. The most recent time, was a week ago Friday, March 25, 2016. I arrived home to pick up my wife, and when we were ready to go, I tried to put the truck in reverse, but the truck went forward instead! The light on the shift button was off. After I tried several times (like 4 times), turning truck off, and turning it back on, it would not work. Called the tow truck and took it to the dealership, and they could not find the problem, because the truck was working normal. Again, I've been told, the computer is not picking up any codes, we cannot fix anything. I am worried for my safety, my family's safety, and other people's safety. I am very disappointed of Dodge's refusal to help me. They've had my truck for more than a week, and they can't do anything about it.

BlueRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before June 13, 2014 (MDH
0613XX) equipped with 8-SPD Auto 8HP70 Trans (sales code DFD) or 8-SPD
845RE Auto 845RE Trans (sales code DFL).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience not being able to shift out of park. This condition can be
corrected by turning off the vehicle and allowing all of the modules to go to sleep. Once the
modules have gone through a key cycle the DTC will go from active to stored and then the
vehicle can be shifted out of park. On further inspection DTCs P0607-00-ECU INTERNAL
PERFORMANCE and P0928-00-BTSI CONTROL may be found active or stored.

TSB 08-072-14 this "may" apply to what has been happening with the shifter module.