2014 hemi 8 speed and tuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I read a few times about the 2014s having issues with tuners but haven't found any specifics. Is it still an issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have never had issues with tunes for my 2014. I hear the trans tunes can be tricky but I never had a issue with that either. I think the later built Rams didn't have the issuse earlier built Rams did.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem with my 14 I think that was 16s

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
either of you guys have trans tune? if so, who did it and could you summarize before vs after driveability?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
either of you guys have trans tune? if so, who did it and could you summarize before vs after driveability?
My 14's been tranny tuned for over 2 years now,but I didn't fluck around with Diablo's **** waiting for them to get on the ball,i went with HP tuning.HP tuning can tune the 13 and 14 8 speeds.It's a noticeable difference with the tranny tuned,i have one of Jay Greene's 1.5high lift cams in my 4X4 and it's set to shift at 6500rpm,and will spin the street tires hard on the 1-2 shift.Get ahold of Jay Greene for your 14's tuning needs,he'll be able to tune it either with Diablo's CMR program,or HP's tuning platform,or he can even give you a mix of both tuning platforms if that's what you want.There's a few guys running a Diablo engine tune,mixed with HP's tranny tune,only because they already had a Diablo engine tune on their 14's,but Diablo couldn't tune their 14's 8speed,so they're using both platforms.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
My 14's been tranny tuned for over 2 years now,but I didn't fluck around with Diablo's **** waiting for them to get on the ball,i went with HP tuning.HP tuning can tune the 13 and 14 8 speeds.It's a noticeable difference with the tranny tuned,i have one of Jay Greene's 1.5high lift cams in my 4X4 and it's set to shift at 6500rpm,and will spin the street tires hard on the 1-2 shift.Get ahold of Jay Greene for your 14's tuning needs,he'll be able to tune it either with Diablo's CMR program,or HP's tuning platform,or he can even give you a mix of both tuning platforms if that's what you want.There's a few guys running a Diablo engine tune,mixed with HP's tranny tune,only because they already had a Diablo engine tune on their 14's,but Diablo couldn't tune their 14's 8speed,so they're using both platforms.
Have not got my Greene cam installed yet.......feel quite a bit stronger than stock cam?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Have not got my Greene cam installed yet.......feel quite a bit stronger than stock cam?

It gained me roughly 3/10's,it is a bit softer on the bottom end,but i'm still running the stock 8 speed convertor.The cam needs about a 3,000 stall convertor to pull really hard out of the hole,but as such it's still very drivable even with the stock convertor.
Stock cam/stock convertor my best 60ft was a 1.67,with the 1.5HL cam and stock convertor ,my best 60ft has been a 1.69.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thanks for the info Wild one.....wish I had the 8-speed....3k convertor & 4.56 gear helps.
I'm lifted with 35 inch tires so I would not be any competition.....Ram was dog with 3.55 & 6-speed with those 35's.......LoL

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a Hemifever 93 tune and running Diablos trans tune. The trans definitely shifts faster at wide open throttle and down shifts are more aggressive. Eventually I'll get a custom trans tune.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a Hemifever 93 tune and running Diablos trans tune. The trans definitely shifts faster at wide open throttle and down shifts are more aggressive. Eventually I'll get a custom trans tune.

Does the trans tune cost extra?

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does the trans tune cost extra?

Not on the Diablo. I have a i3. When Diablosport finally released it all you had to do was update the programmer.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Not on the Diablo. I have a i3. When Diablosport finally released it all you had to do was update the programmer.

Can you elaborate more on the trans tune? you say it shifts faster at wide open throttle and down shifts are more aggressive. If i stomp on it (same with past 8 speeds ive owned) i see no issues with the trans shifting fast. My problems/issues with the trans is how it shifts so quick to the next gear, constantly lugging the engine (shifts to 3rd at like 20 mph, 4th just before 30+/-). I can stomp on it and make it down shift sure, but normal daily driving isnt like that (or atleast i dont drive like that or want to drive like that). I just want it to hold gears longer (higher in rpms). If i have to slow down to make a right (or left), i slow down to round 15 (if i dont have to stop for traffic) and go to accelerate (again, not stomping on it) and right away the truck shifts into 3rd, super low rpms. and aside from then stomping on it, it lugs until rpms get up again, then it quickly shifts to 4th in low rpms.....I want to eliminate this. Im basically looking at a custom trans tune (probably Jay Greene).

I dont need more power, as i believe these motors have plenty. Most of my driving is under 3k rpms. There is a lot of power to open up, just need to stomp on it, with this stock programming.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It definitely holds the gears longer. When it shifts its more aggressive. When letting off the gas just a tap of the brakes makes the trans downshift. It feels like your driving a sports car not a truck.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
It definitely holds the gears longer. When it shifts its more aggressive. When letting off the gas just a tap of the brakes makes the trans downshift. It feels like your driving a sports car not a truck.

i drive with tow haul on. makes a big difference. thats probably my favorite thing, hearing the truck down shift with an exhaust. kinda reminds me of the 03 cobra i had years ago.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i drive with tow haul on. makes a big difference. thats probably my favorite thing, hearing the truck down shift with an exhaust. kinda reminds me of the 03 cobra i had years ago.
Yes! Hearing that gurgle of the exhaust on down shifts! Makes me giggle inside.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well i got my initial custom tune from hemifever and it makes a huge difference on the shifts. The lower gears hold a little longer and shift much cleaner. I used to get an awkward shift when i got to speed and let off the gas and it tried to shift several gears at once.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Well i got my initial custom tune from hemifever and it makes a huge difference on the shifts. The lower gears hold a little longer and shift much cleaner. I used to get an awkward shift when i got to speed and let off the gas and it tried to shift several gears at once.

was this an actual trans tune or just a custom tune? which tuner are you using? diablo? hp?

did you consider jay greene?