2014 Leveling: Solved or nah?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jelih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently bought a stock 2014 Lone Star CC 2WD, and I so very badly want to level it, but after reading the threads on here for a little over a week, I think I'm more confused than when I started. Some of you have just used the cheapish pucks and are fine, but a lot have had OEM UCA ball joint issues. Some that do use Mevotech UCA's, but then some of them still have the same ball joint issues with those. Some are using Zone UCA's with better luck (I think, anyway), but I don't want to spend that much just so I can level it.

If Zone's are the trouble-free, albeit more expinsive-er, way to go, I'd rather just save for a bit and lift the whole thing a couple 3 inches at the same time. But then, with only the briefest of google searches, all the lift kits I saw, regardless of price, were for 4x4 trucks. Did I buy a model year/trim level that everyone just kinda gave up on? I just want all the neighborhood kids to stop asking me when I'm gonna give my grandad his truck back without having to keep my fingers crossed that other parts of the suspension aren't going to tear themselves to pieces in the process.

Bilstein makes 5100 shocks for the 2WD model, but the fronts say "for trucks that are lifted up to 1.75" I take that to mean trucks that are already lifted by some other means, as opposed to the shocks being adjustable, and even then, that's not quite level, although .75" of lean is better than 2.5"

What do?

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bilstein makes 5100 shocks for the 2WD model, but the fronts say "for trucks that are lifted up to 1.75" I take that to mean trucks that are already lifted by some other means, as opposed to the shocks being adjustable, and even then, that's not quite level, although .75" of lean is better than 2.5"

On 2wd 1500's the front shock does not provide lift and the shock itself doesn't really care where your static ride height is within the factory range of motion. I don't have any engineering insight as to why Bilstein specifies 1.75" as the maximum lift range for their front shocks but the behavior of a 5100 on a 2.5" lifted 2wd should be no different from the behavior of basically any other stock replacement shock used in the same application.

Any suspension system with a dramatically different amount of compression and rebound travel is going to have some ride compromises. On 4wd 1500's this manifests itself as a pogo-stick ride on rough surfaces, speed bumps, etc. I don't know exactly what you'd get on a 2wd in the same scenario but I don't think a Bilstein or a Monroe or Sensen or KYB or any other brand of shock would fare any differently.

Hope that helps.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I recently bought a stock 2014 Lone Star CC 2WD, and I so very badly want to level it, but after reading the threads on here for a little over a week, I think I'm more confused than when I started. Some of you have just used the cheapish pucks and are fine, but a lot have had OEM UCA ball joint issues. Some that do use Mevotech UCA's, but then some of them still have the same ball joint issues with those. Some are using Zone UCA's with better luck (I think, anyway), but I don't want to spend that much just so I can level it.

If Zone's are the trouble-free, albeit more expinsive-er, way to go, I'd rather just save for a bit and lift the whole thing a couple 3 inches at the same time. But then, with only the briefest of google searches, all the lift kits I saw, regardless of price, were for 4x4 trucks. Did I buy a model year/trim level that everyone just kinda gave up on? I just want all the neighborhood kids to stop asking me when I'm gonna give my grandad his truck back without having to keep my fingers crossed that other parts of the suspension aren't going to tear themselves to pieces in the process.

What do?
Take all the confusion out of it by sending @Nick@GotExhaust a pm and he will get you the proper options. 2wd is different than 4wd that is where the confusion comes into play

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, as mentioned I think the confusion is that 2wd and 4wd front ends are different and can not be lifted or leveled the same way. The kits will be different. Message me and we can discuss options and pricing. I see you mentioned lifting it a little. Maxtrac makes a great 4.5" kit that I would recommend. Send me a message and we can discuss

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yup, 2WD levels are easier. Nick can get you some Maxtrac,

Attachments

• 20160515_203813.jpg
    20160515_203813.jpg