2014 R/T Nav Stopped Working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockshooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently purchased a 2014 R/T with 38,000 miles. Nav doesn't work. Tried resetting, tried disconnecting the battery, called UConnect and was advised it needed a software update. Went to the stealership (lol). $100.00 later, was told I need a new radio.
What are my options?
I called Infotainment. They quoted me $299.00 for a rebuild. Ten days to two weeks turnaround time.
Has anyone used this company?
Will the truck drive and operate without the radio?
P.S. They opened my gum and helped themselves at the stealership.
Thanks,
Rich

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I recently purchased a 2014 R/T with 38,000 miles. Nav doesn't work. Tried resetting, tried disconnecting the battery, called UConnect and was advised it needed a software update. Went to the stealership (lol). $100.00 later, was told I need a new radio.
What are my options?
I called Infotainment. They quoted me $299.00 for a rebuild. Ten days to two weeks turnaround time.
Has anyone used this company?
Will the truck drive and operate without the radio?
P.S. They opened my gum and helped themselves at the stealership.
Thanks,
Rich
When you say the NAV doesn't work what do you mean? What are the symptoms when NAV is on screen?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used that company after having what sounds like the same issues from my nav radio. If I remember right, my cost was higher, but way cheaper then going through the dealer. Everything will work w/o the radio. If you go this route, there are a couple of University of Utube videos to show how to take the dash apart and remove the radio. Being a R/T I'm thinking it has the full console as my Sport. If that is the case it is a little more work, but very doable. Someone must have liked the gum you had...
Good luck.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just had to use them for my radio. Very fast turn around time. Just remember when you take the unit out if your climate controls are in the radio you will only have heat and air from the floor and defrost vents.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sitneelbend
Nav locked in Texas and no movement. compass, is headed the wrong direction that I am headed.
Ok, the San Antonio thing might be the GPS/SXM antenna itself going bad. Can you tune SXM stations?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's where my nav radio was showing me as well, in San Antonio when I was in Idaho....

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You paid the dealer 100 bucks to diagnose. Ask them the specific questions, did they test the antenna, is it good, did they test the antenna feed. What exactly told them it is the radio that needs replacing.

I lost the Nav in a 2020 Grand Cherokee when it was 5 months old. It was the radio itself. When you went to the nav screen and brought up the where am I, and satellite view, no satellites showed, had me far away from where I was. Dealer replaced the radio on warranty, $1,500 according to the paper work, and that was a rebuilt as no new ones are available. So far, working fine two and a half years later.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Wouldn't it show a code for a bad antenna?It has SXM but I do not have a subscription.
Nope, no code. You can test it yourself rather inexpensively by plugging in a new GPS antenna to the radio directly. Something like this would replace the mustard colored plug on the back of your radio. If it works and you don't need SXM you can route it somewhere and use it as a permanent replacement (if it doesn't Amazon has free returns).

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Wouldn't it show a code for a bad antenna?It has SXM but I do not have a subscription.
Even without a subscription, when you turn on the radio and switch to XM you should be getting their sales pitch/demo station (#1 I think, but I’d have to go check my radio). If you’re not getting that it would seem to point to antennae issues. But as stated earlier, the dealership who worked on it should be answering that question. You should also pull up the screens showing firmware level and map level, so you can determine whether or not the dealership upgraded the firmware and what level your radio is currently on.

best,
DG

OP
OP
Rockshooter

Rockshooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Raminfo
I did talk to the dealership. They said it was the telecommunication gateway module that's built into the back of the radio. They also said that they do not see hardly any bad shark fin antenna. With that being said, when I pull out, I will try a new antenna before I send off for repair. Thanks to everyone on the form and for their information. Will get back when I get answers.
Thanks,
Rich
P.S Also XM is saying no signal also.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The gateway module is available as a stand alone component. There is a thread on here somewhere on how to change it out yourself. Just remember that I read that a few months ago, never tried it myself. Personally, for the price I would just send it to someone that knows what they are doing.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Raminfo
I did talk to the dealership. They said it was the telecommunication gateway module that's built into the back of the radio. They also said that they do not see hardly any bad shark fin antenna. With that being said, when I pull out, I will try a new antenna before I send off for repair. Thanks to everyone on the form and for their information. Will get back when I get answers.
Thanks,
Rich
P.S Also XM is saying no signal also.
With XM not having signal I'm thinking antenna. SXM and GPS share an antenna/connector on the radio.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Mike2017Larami

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my 2017 RAM Laramie (Just turned 60K) and have a "Brandon" moment, and loose it's GPS Location just when I needed it. The strangest thing while traveling through Syracuse, NY it took me off of RT 690 and over the Finger Lakes, and off road. It was the craziest thing watching my truck's GPS icon travel off road.

I found this site that says that it can be the GPS Antenna loose or going bad, or a Uconnect update. Here is a link that explains how to reboot the GPS Radio -

Owners of 2017 Ram 1500s offer tricks to reboot the 8.4 Uconnect radios​

https://www.torquenews.com/3768/owners-2017-ram-1500s-offer-tricks-reboot-84-uconnect-radios
Two options -
You can disconnect one of the Battery terminals for a few minutes (preferably the negative term)
OR
You can manually reboot the nav system by pushing in on the center of the volume and tuner knobs at the same time and holding them down for a few seconds. You should see the system power down and then boot back up.

Hope this helps.