2014 ram 1500 5.7 overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Coolant temp stayed 205-218 during hwy speeds for 30mins stopped to grab food and temp got up to 240 at idle for 10mins I parked and turned truck off for a few mins started back up same thing soon as I started driving the temp started dropping? What's the fix for this? Possibly not enough coolant? I just did a cam swap and everything but I thought I got all the air out of the system? Possibly air in the coolant?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Coolant temp stayed 205-218 during hwy speeds for 30mins stopped to grab food and temp got up to 240 at idle for 10mins I parked and turned truck off for a few mins started back up same thing soon as I started driving the temp started dropping? What's the fix for this? Possibly not enough coolant? I just did a cam swap and everything but I thought I got all the air out of the system? Possibly air in the coolant?

Could be air in the system. Did you bleed the coolant at the thermostat? How did you refill the system? Is the fan working correctly? The temps will drop when you get back on the highway because air is moving over the radiator. At 240 the fan should have already been running. Next time you drive the truck stop somewhere and let it idle a few minutes. When the temp rises put the AC on max/high speed as that should command the fan on and reduce the temps.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bled the coolant at the screw on the waterpump got air out and then I ran the truck without a radiator cap for 10mins or so, I'll have to see if the fan is kicking on, but ac was on max I believe in the drive thru.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be air in the system. Did you bleed the coolant at the thermostat? How did you refill the system? Is the fan working correctly? The temps will drop when you get back on the highway because air is moving over the radiator. At 240 the fan should have already been running. Next time you drive the truck stop somewhere and let it idle a few minutes. When the temp rises put the AC on max/high speed as that should command the fan on and reduce the temps.
I think I'm missing the relay for my fan, I had to repair alot of the front end and don't remember a relay around the grill area, will look for wires!

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no relay between grill, found hi/low relay in fuse box swapped those around will check it out tomorrow, if that doesn't work ill have it warm and check the plug for power at high temp, if that works then ill order a new fan.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no relay between grill, found hi/low relay in fuse box swapped those around will check it out tomorrow, if that doesn't work ill have it warm and check the plug for power at high temp, if that works then ill order a new fan.

Sounds like a fan problem. The max AC setting should command the fan on. The factory thermostat is 204F so your highway temps don’t seem too far off. Sounds like you refilled the coolant correctly so the fan or relay could be the problem.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a fan problem. The max AC setting should command the fan on. The factory thermostat is 204F so your highway temps don’t seem too far off. Sounds like you refilled the coolant correctly so the fan or relay could be the problem.
anyway to test the wires? i looked at the wires and seems pretty close to the fan to put my power probe on, id rather not get my hand burnt trying to test it, maybe ill just go ahead and order a fan they're 100$

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
anyway to test the wires? i looked at the wires and seems pretty close to the fan to put my power probe on, id rather not get my hand burnt trying to test it, maybe ill just go ahead and order a fan they're 100$

You could buy or make yourself some jumper leads. Two alligator clips with a length of wire between them so you can attach them to the electrical connections, then to your meter. Would keep your hands and meter away from the fan and any hot parts.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could buy or make yourself some jumper leads. Two alligator clips with a length of wire between them so you can attach them to the electrical connections, then to your meter. Would keep your hands and meter away from the fan and any hot parts.
pretty sure its the fan ordered a new one, went to do my datalog for tune adjustments and now i have a p1524 code for oil pressure out of range? saw it hit as low at 16psi but on avg its been 17-19 at idle, saw it climb up to 45 or so on throttle cruising? its a brand new high pressure oil pump, will hit 90 psi WOT

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pretty sure its the fan ordered a new one, went to do my datalog for tune adjustments and now i have a p1524 code for oil pressure out of range? saw it hit as low at 16psi but on avg its been 17-19 at idle, saw it climb up to 45 or so on throttle cruising? its a brand new high pressure oil pump, will hit 90 psi WOT

Wait, you have a tune on your truck? That complicates things as you’re chasing a cooling issue and now an oil pressure issue with a modified BCM/TCM. I’d suggest returning it to stock and correcting the problem areas first. There is a possibility your tune is the root of the problem.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait, you have a tune on your truck? That complicates things as you’re chasing a cooling issue and now an oil pressure issue with a modified BCM/TCM. I’d suggest returning it to stock and correcting the problem areas first. There is a possibility your tune is the root of the problem.
i don't think my truck will run right if i take the tune off, it has a stage 2 moes cam in it. im just now getting to actually drive the truck these last few days as all of the front end work, motor work, entire paint color change has all just now been completed. will this truck even run right if i return it to stock?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i don't think my truck will run right if i take the tune off, it has a stage 2 moes cam in it. im just now getting to actually drive the truck these last few days as all of the front end work, motor work, entire paint color change has all just now been completed. will this truck even run right if i return it to stock?

I don’t know brother. Was the truck ever run stock after the collision repairs were made?

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t know brother. Was the truck ever run stock after the collision repairs were made?
yes i drove it home from place i bought it, but had overheating issues due to busted radiator. and like 20 CEL lol, i've fixed a lot on this truck already.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i did read something about filters causing that CEL and i did just do a oil change yesterday.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is the fan running ? if not as you have ordered a new one , just strip a little wire at the low side of the plug and hook a meter to it, and see if you have 12-13 volts with the motor hot or AC on.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the fan running ? if not as you have ordered a new one , just strip a little wire at the low side of the plug and hook a meter to it, and see if you have 12-13 volts with the motor hot or AC on.
Put 12volts directly onto the fan with a ground doesn't even turn on

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About to test drive truck to see if 57889xp wix filter fixed my CEL

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes i drove it home from place i bought it, but had overheating issues due to busted radiator. and like 20 CEL lol, i've fixed a lot on this truck already.

You’ve put a lot of work into the truck. Sounds like you really put the effort in to making it better than before. The point I’m making is it would have been prudent to get the truck running without any issues in stock form before doing modifications. I assume the overheating issues prompted you to do cylinder head work and you put the cams in when you had it torn down as a matter of convenience, time, money and the amount of work required to do the same job twice.

OP
OP
dmullenex

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’ve put a lot of work into the truck. Sounds like you really put the effort in to making it better than before. The point I’m making is it would have been prudent to get the truck running without any issues in stock form before doing modifications. I assume the overheating issues prompted you to do cylinder head work and you put the cams in when you had it torn down as a matter of convenience, time, money and the amount of work required to do the same job twice.
well 4 of the CEL was cam problem lifters ate up the cam so i went ahead and did all of it in one go, then i started chasing each CEL, so i haven't really had a chance until now to really be able to figure out the issues that are oncoming like the fan being broken, hoping that will be here tomorrow or sunday, but my oil pressure is 18psi at idle at hot temp, drove 30miles CEL hasn't gone away yet will see when i drive another 30miles tomorrow, but my oil pressure will stay around 40ish going about 45mph low rpms at cruising it'll go down to 33 i believe. but the fan doesn't work at all i used my power probe and put 12v directly onto the fan wire and a ground on the ground side so i do know that its broken as all the wires are intact so i am hoping this fixes one issue, and im hoping the oil filter fixes my CEL. tired of working on this truck now lol....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m00n