2014 Ram 1500 8 Speed Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been drivin around my new to me 2014 ram 5.7 with 114k for the past 2 weeks I am getting use to the stupid dial shifter. However there is 1 annoying thing that drives me nutz this truck 1-2 up shift is weird depends on temp and slowing down 2-1 it jerks every single dam time thigns guna give me whip lash lmfaoo. I have had jeeps over the years even a 04 caravan that use to do this I just drove my friends 2017 ram and it does the same dam thing... not as bad but it does it. How is this acceptable...figured they would of fixed this by now is there a tune or something that anyone has used to fix this issue? I have a diablo sport intune i3 from what I remember this was a software issue on the older jeeps ect.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Been drivin around my new to me 2014 ram 5.7 with 114k for the past 2 weeks I am getting use to the stupid dial shifter. However there is 1 annoying thing that drives me nutz this truck 1-2 up shift is weird depends on temp and slowing down 2-1 it jerks every single dam time thigns guna give me whip lash lmfaoo. I have had jeeps over the years even a 04 caravan that use to do this I just drove my friends 2017 ram and it does the same dam thing... not as bad but it does it. How is this acceptable...figured they would of fixed this by now is there a tune or something that anyone has used to fix this issue? I have a diablo sport intune i3 from what I remember this was a software issue on the older jeeps ect.
If it has a 2 piece driveshaft try lubing the slip yoke splines,for the 2-1 thump.You can also pull the negative post off,step on the brakes to drain the system.You can let it sit if you want,but usually stepping on the brakes for a 1/2 minute will drain the system pretty fast,then take it out and drive it like you stole it.The 8 speed learns your driving habits,and the prior owners habits are probably still in play. Those are the easy things to try,if they don't make any differance,the dealer might have a later update,or can do a transmission relearn for you.I'm not sure but if you have AlphaOBD,you might even be able to do a relearn yourself,but i'm not sure on that one. The 13's and 14's use an oddball TCM configuration compared to the 15 and later trucks,and theres a very good chance you're diablo won't support it,or be able to tune it,you might have to step up to HP to tune/tweak the transmission if you do decide to tune the truck or the transmission

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it has a 2 piece driveshaft try lubing the slip yoke splines,for the 2-1 thump.You can also pull the negative post off,step on the brakes to drain the system.You can let it sit if you want,but usually stepping on the brakes for a 1/2 minute will drain the system pretty fast,then take it out and drive it like you stole it.The 8 speed learns your driving habits,and the prior owners habits are probably still in play. Those are the easy things to try,if they don't make any differance,the dealer might have a later update,or can do a transmission relearn for you.I'm not sure but if you have AlphaOBD,you might even be able to do a relearn yourself,but i'm not sure on that one. The 13's and 14's use an oddball TCM configuration compared to the 15 and later trucks,and theres a very good chance you're diablo won't support it,or be able to tune it,you might have to step up to HP to tune/tweak the transmission if you do decide to tune the truck or the transmission
Ok thanks I think its 1 piece shaft but i will crawl under and double check I will try the other stuff you suggested i think my scanner can do a relearn hopefully it works cause its really making me hate this thing lol. My tuner did have a hard time with even tuning mds out had to update it a few times and call them but worked in the end.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok thanks I think its 1 piece shaft but i will crawl under and double check I will try the other stuff you suggested i think my scanner can do a relearn hopefully it works cause its really making me hate this thing lol. My tuner did have a hard time with even tuning mds out had to update it a few times and call them but worked in the end.
At a 114,000,you're definitely in the ballpark to do a pan and filter service on it,but that will require spending some money on a new pan /filter and fluid.Valvolene Maxlife seems to have a decent rep in the 8 speed,but i've never ran it,so i can't comment on if it's the cheapest go to fluid,i've always sucked it up and used the Mopar 8/9 speed gold plated unicorn p!ss

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At a 114,000,you're definitely in the ballpark to do a pan and filter service on it,but that will require spending some money on a new pan /filter and fluid.Valvolene Maxlife seems to have a decent rep in the 8 speed,but i've never ran it,so i can't comment on if it's the cheapest go to fluid,i've always sucked it up and used the Mopar 8/9 speed gold plated unicorn p!ss
I just did a pan/flush used mopar fluid was a pain in the ass to get it level the fluid was nasty black hoped it would help this issue but it didnt yet.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bought my truck used at 148k and its now at 164. Still in the ballpark for a filter/fluid change? Or did I miss the window?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bought my truck used at 148k and its now at 164. Still in the ballpark for a filter/fluid change? Or did I miss the window?
Chrysler will tell you "sealed for life", but ZF recommends 80k miles, and less if severe duty.

20210101_173936.jpg

My fluid at 106k miles next to fresh fluid. No towing. Almost no hauling.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had mine done at the dealer while other work was also being done.
Wasn't having any issues, and still not. No difference noticed at all so i'm taking that to be a good thing. Now about 102k miles.
Lifetime? Yeah, sell that BS somewhere else!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm neither an expert nor a mechanic but I think a lot depends on the type of service the truck has seen, ie, racing, towing, hauling, city, etc, etc.
My common sense says this; if you are not having transmission issues now, do a good fluid/filter change now and you should be ok.
Better than waiting for the trans to grenade itself.
Any way you can find out if a previous owner took care of it? Even so it might just be about time for the next one.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Fair point!

Yep, my only concern is the old "wisdom" about waiting too long to change trans fluid = dont change it or you'll cause problems! No, I bought the truck used from a dealer, no way to get in touch with the previous owner. From all indications though, it looks/seems like a farm truck. So far its been in great shape, and no trans issues thus far.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I’d change the fluid a few times over the course of a few weeks. I’ve changed transmission fluid on several higher mileage vehicles over the years and never had an issue. Of course that’s anecdotal advice and others may have different experiences with high mileage fluid changes. Valvoline Maxlife is pretty cheap so using it instead of the way overpriced OEM fluid would cut down the cost considerably. Doing a few changes will get a good portion of that old used up fluid out. Only issue you’ll run into is the drain and fills are not easy with the factory pan as the filter is built into the pan and the drain plug is as sketchy as they come. I wouldn’t be surprised if that plastic drain plug leaks if you reuse it. I elected to go with an aftermarket that has a real metal drain plug for that very purpose. The fill procedure is a bit complicated but after the first time you’ll have a good idea how to proceed with future changes. Wildman is the resident knowledge base on the 8 speed so you may want his opinion on a high mileage transmission fluid change.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've paid for and used Carfax for all used vehicles and I think it more than paid for itself.
And I'm quite familiar with that "wisdom" (also in quotes, for a reason!).
If routine maintenance blows it up it was going to blow up anyway. An oil change won't cause the damage, it REVEALS the damage.
Now, do you want the grenade in your driveway or on the highway somewhere?

Just a few thoughts from your Uncle Curmudgeon, YMMV.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have also heard that the oe fluid turns dark relatively quick, not sure if the properties are affected.

You see how dark my fluid was, and it did seem smoother after the change. Maybe it was just in my mind.

At least I had some piece of mind knowing that I had at least ~60% new fluid. I would have liked to do a couple more drain and fills in short intervals after, but wasn't able to.

Am seriously thinking about using the Valvoline MaxLife instead of the gold plated unicorn schizz on the next go round to save some $$$.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone tried the Mobil 1 LV HP transmission fluid in the 8 speed? I’ve read several articles that the Mobil fluid is compatible with the ZF fluid. Was looking for actual real world data from folks that have tried it.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a update never put many miles on it after I did the trans filter/fluid change until now. I did a relearn and just got back from a 1200 mile trip acts the same nothing changed still bumps downshifting from 2-1 also from 1-2 sometimes it bounces/shudders. I got better gas mileage then my old 2011 which I like but I do miss my 2011 with the 5 speed not a fan of the 8 speed thus far. Also having a issue with my new lifters usually they quiet down by now but thats for a new thread and after I contact the manufaturer :).

rickjkline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to have this as an issue, still happens occasionally, I have gotten used to it, but I did take to the dealership early on and there was a software update they did that was supposed to remedy the harshness of the downshift clunk into 1st gear when rolling to a stop. Look into that if available.