2014 RAM 1500 Express Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aight so i did all the research i could and it seems from all the options, best sounding money wise out of going with external bypasses, IBP's or smoothies is going to be 2.5 smooth shocks with piggybacks just like the ones i have now in the back. the Idea will be 2.5x10 smoothies that are 18.375 compressed and 28.375 extended. From there they have an internal spacer that is .875" that can be taken off and a new .25" or .5" be added to make the shock 29" extended or 28.75" extended. Can't go any longer than this without going with a 2.5x12 shock which will be too long at 20" and some compressed, 32" extended, however the vendors doesn't think taking the stock spacer and going that small will be good idea. if i leave the internal spacer i'll be only gaining 1" downtravel for basically $1149

I'll wait until July 4th and see if i can score a deal but i think at the moment i value the performance i have at 27" extended more than the same + 1.5" downtravel, since i'll prob go with the 0.5" spacer.

I'm running 1" bumpstop extensions, and now that i know there is a big phucking spacer inside my shocks i can gain 1" uptravel simply removing those for free and use all the travel there is in them, can't beat that at the moment the more i think about it :)

But then MT tires are looking to be perhaps something i could do for 4 of July. ah damn decisions.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Aight so i did all the research i could and it seems from all the options, best sounding money wise out of going with external bypasses, IBP's or smoothies is going to be 2.5 smooth shocks with piggybacks just like the ones i have now in the back. the Idea will be 2.5x10 smoothies that are 18.375 compressed and 28.375 extended. From there they have an internal spacer that is .875" that can be taken off and a new .25" or .5" be added to make the shock 29" extended or 28.75" extended. Can't go any longer than this without going with a 2.5x12 shock which will be too long at 20" and some compressed, 32" extended, however the vendors doesn't think taking the stock spacer and going that small will be good idea. if i leave the internal spacer i'll be only gaining 1" downtravel for basically $1149

I'll wait until July 4th and see if i can score a deal but i think at the moment i value the performance i have at 27" extended more than the same + 1.5" downtravel, since i'll prob go with the 0.5" spacer.

I'm running 1" bumpstop extensions, and now that i know there is a big phucking spacer inside my shocks i can gain 1" uptravel simply removing those for free and use all the travel there is in them, can't beat that at the moment the more i think about it :)

But then MT tires are looking to be perhaps something i could do for 4 of July. ah damn decisions.

At what point is our gain trivial and honestly just us being overly critical?!?! We all are chasing oir suspension utopia and its not real! Lol If these coils (bilstein) had given the advertised lift I was after I'd likely not be doing these changes again. I'm sure you're truck still rides awesome with your setup and the gain in minimal down travel versus the cost of those shocks just might not be there. I know you're a perfectionist and like your setups to be properly balanced, so take it with a grain of salt but I vote ya get some tires or something [emoji41]

How much down travel do you have now? I honestly wasn't happy with how my 5100s felt so I had no love lost trying something different, and luckily they are a bit longer. But your kings are not cheap man. Unless they are stretched out pretty bad and you lost a majority of your down travel, than I'll shut up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At what point is our gain trivial and honestly just us being overly critical?!?! We all are chasing oir suspension utopia and its not real! Lol If these coils (bilstein) had given the advertised lift I was after I'd likely not be doing these changes again. I'm sure you're truck still rides awesome with your setup and the gain in minimal down travel versus the cost of those shocks just might not be there. I know you're a perfectionist and like your setups to be properly balanced, so take it with a grain of salt but I vote ya get some tires or something [emoji41]

How much down travel do you have now? I honestly wasn't happy with how my 5100s felt so I had no love lost trying something different, and luckily they are a bit longer. But your kings are not cheap man. Unless they are stretched out pretty bad and you lost a majority of your down travel, than I'll shut up.

They're 27" extended, so they're 1.5" longer than my stock Mopars at 25.5", and they're still pretty much new, i wanted an extra 2.5" in lenght to use the new springs in full but 29.5" is not possible with any of the 2.5x10 body shocks from Kings and the next longer shock bodies are too long for my lift. I can still do this but at a cost that i don't need to pay at the moment.

The other option is to go 28.75" extended lenght an improve the rear performance with IBP's or the external bypasses from Dirt King, but i'm not jumping the truck if i'll be honest with my driving so i'll be spending $1700 on better rear shocks to have a front that can't match the rear, that means LT front setup which also means fiber glass fenders lol, you get the idea.

I'm fairly happy with my current setup to be honest, going that little extra inch in height in the back was all i wanted and that was cheap at just $160 with the new springs but of course knowing i can stretch her legs even more with those springs is a bonus. The only issue is that i can't cope with knowing it'll cost me a grand to get 1-1.5", i would have noticed 2.5" downtravel for sure, but i've done 1-1.5" before, cool to have that little extra but not $1000 worth it. If i did it with Ranchos or OME shocks i'll have new shocks tomorrow for about $250-$300, but $1000 a pop is still a bunch of money i don't want to burn that quick :)

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
They're 27" extended, so they're 1.5" longer than my stock Mopars at 25.5", and they're still pretty much new, i wanted an extra 2.5" in lenght to use the new springs in full :) but 29.5" is not possible with any of the 2.5x10 body shocks from Kings and the next longer shock bodies are too long for my lift. I can still do this but at a cost that i don't need to pay at the moment.

The other option is to go 28.75" extended lenght an improve the rear performance with IBP's or the external bypasses from Dirt King, but i'm not jumping the truck if i'll be honest with my driving so i'll be spending $1700 on better rear shocks to have a front that can't match the rear, that means LT front setup which also means fiber glass fenders lol, you get the idea.
Yea, the snowball effect of awesomeness.

So....crazy idea......what if you raise your lower shock mounts on the axle tubes the appropriate amount.....you live in socal....everyone knows a fabricator there it seems......get those shocks up and away from rocks and gain that lost down travel, keep you up travel properly bumped and you can maybe keep a happy medium?

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, the snowball effect of awesomeness.

So....crazy idea......what if you raise your lower shock mounts on the axle tubes the appropriate amount.....you live in socal....everyone knows a fabricator there it seems......get those shocks up and away from rocks and gain that lost down travel, keep you up travel properly bumped and you can maybe keep a happy medium?

I could run the Fox 2.0 with res at 29.45" extended and 17.35 compressed, which essentially will give me 2.5" longer shocks without having to touch my bumpstops, but once you've tried 2.5 performance it's difficult to look back again. i'll just remove my 1" bumpstops, 1" more travel for free :)

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I could run the Fox 2.0 with res at 29.45" extended and 17.35 compressed, which essentially will give me 2.5" longer shocks without having to touch my bumpstops, but once you've tried 2.5 performance it's difficult to look back again. i'll just remove my 1" bumpstops, 1" more travel for free :)
I had thuren on my Cummins. Life hasn't been the same. Tho this set up is as good on road. Offroad is no comparison. And that truck was so heavy it's crazy what it handled

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Hell if I was in your shoes I'd just run the it as it is for a bit with the 1" bumpstops removed. If you don't see any real deficiencies out having fun no need to spend over a grand for just a little bit more travel. I also think going to the 2.0 foxes for the added travel would be less effective than your 2.5" Kings where it matters.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

It's not my money, so please do all of those things and post lots of pics/vids : )

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having some fun today around Big Bear with a group of Yotas
48156230662_495725129d_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48156151746_b43c4cfe2d_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48156152026_34c8174bcc_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48156217422_2fad972b8c_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48156228632_d714c12944_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48156152116_c4ecd5f5c9_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

48156152016_2e34596d16_h.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Impressions on this springs after a few hundred miles... hate to say but this things won't hold much weight like the Icons did. The month hasn't gone in full and after yesterday bashing session, i wanted to check the height today, 40 1/2" lol which is pretty much the 1/2 more than what i had with the Icons, not very good considering they don't even have 1000 miles so they will still go down a tad more.
I think i ill start looking at 3" coil springs :)

I'll contact Deaver springs and see how much it would cost me to have something similar to the Icons but 1" longer. They're local to me so i guess i can take the Icon springs with me and tell them exactly what i need.

Last edited:

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Man thats crazy they settled about an inch since install a couple weeks ago. Ive been eyeballing these springs since you installed them but going to hold off now. I'll let you be the guinea pig to test out what Deaver has to offer as well ;). A couple of buddies of mine had some custom leaf packs made by Deaver for their Silverado's and I do have to say their performance was second to none.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
10 bags of mulch, 2 of topsoil 1 bale of peat moss. Being generous I'll call it 600 lbs and it was squatted past level. Not really surprised, they compressed pretty easy. They do ride nice tho. Need to pull numbers today. I can surely see your disappointment. At least they're cheap. I gotta take a look but I might have to pull this track bar bracket out, if i do lmk when you grab 3" coils if you need one. b92dc8a223e56d35175b137d7d4d4b68.jpg

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man thats crazy they settled about an inch since install a couple weeks ago. Ive been eyeballing these springs since you installed them but going to hold off now. I'll let you be the guinea pig to test out what Deaver has to offer as well ;). A couple of buddies of mine had some custom leaf packs made by Deaver for their Silverado's and I do have to say their performance was second to none.
Cool thing about Deavers is that they’re here in Santa Ana haha, I’ll see if I can talk to them today face to face. Fairly disappointed with the SLF springs. I think somehow I was expecting them to sag some after having them side by side with the Icons, coil diameter was smaller with this Superlift ones but damn not this fast and not this much.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
10 bags of mulch, 2 of topsoil 1 bale of peat moss. Being generous I'll call it 600 lbs and it was squatted past level. Not really surprised, they compressed pretty easy. They do ride nice tho. Need to pull numbers today. I can surely see your disappointment. At least they're cheap. I gotta take a look but I might have to pull this track bar bracket out, if i do lmk when you grab 3" coils if you need one. b92dc8a223e56d35175b137d7d4d4b68.jpg

Damn it, wonder if Summit Racing will allow me to return this things considering I haven’t have them for more than a month :) now we know cheap coil springs are cheap for a reason. I had my doubts when I saw the price but really thought how bad could they be ? **** oh well.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I mean what's the payload capacity in these things anyway?

I think you need a set of coilovers and trailing arms....problem solved [emoji41]

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Cool thing about Deavers is that they’re here in Santa Ana haha, I’ll see if I can talk to them today face to face. Fairly disappointed with the SLF springs. I think somehow I was expecting them to sag some after having them side by side with the Icons, coil diameter was smaller with this Superlift ones but damn not this fast and not this much.
Im sure if you brought both the OEM and ICON springs to them to load test and told them what your ultimate plan is for the truck and ideal ride height, they could make something work.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Pulled my track bar bracket today. These coils settled to about 1" lift....maybe 1.5" max. So I don't need it. Axle is off center by the slightest bit but I don't care. If you end up sourcing 3" coils and need a bracket hmu. It's in my parts bin chillin.