Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 RAM 1500 Express Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Member Trucks' started by ram1500rsm, Aug 13, 2018.

1. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    That's really not that bad. Fully wet with you in it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    That's without me and tools bags/recovery gear.
    With me inside (195lbs) and tools bags she'll be around 6500+lbs easy (offroad trail days)

3. hodge-xj

hodge-xj Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    Still not bad at all. 4Dr jks weigh that much if not more. I would have guessed 7000 or a bit more judging by looks.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

4. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Had an email conversation with the fellas at BDS to see if i could get my hands on their 3" rear coil springs. BDS seems to be some sort of Fox partner or Fox directly as the guy i was chatting with has an email domain ridefox.com. In any case, they didn't think their 3" was going to keep up with my truck weight.
    Their 3" spring has a linear rate, 240lbs/inc and is 20.875" long, but because i don't know the stock spring rate i don't know how much im going to sag, i still wanted to buy and try them but Corey at BDS didn't think 3" was going to be enough to even keep them at 1" with my truck weight, maybe 240lbs/inch is stock rate ? So i'm stuck with the Icons and the damn 1" spacer i hate. Lol I really love the Icons but want to kick the stupid spacers POS away.
    I like that he was honest and didn't try to sell me something it won't work.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    revitupmoto33 likes this.
  5. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I noticed this today from my rear shock shafts so it seems it's time to service them.
    Fronts are dry so that's a good thing but if i'll service the rears i guess this will be the time to service and revalve front and rear and be done with it.

[​IMG]2020-02-19_09-01-56 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

And to think the rear of the truck doesn't see much abuse ha :)
    Funny cause a post from @revitupmoto33 yesterday made me check today. Lol

King offer a bunch of different options so i'll check them out first as they're only 30 min away from home. I emailed them tonight to check on my options as i really want to learn to do this myself.

from King website:

[​IMG]Convenient regularly scheduled shock servicing can be performed at our facility with minimal turnaround times. Our experienced shock experts can easily spot unusual wear patterns and other anomalies that could lead to reduced performance before they become an issue. Service procedures include precision honing and polishing of shock cylinders, micro polishing of shafts, seal and wear band replacement, all using original replacement parts and precision processes for a perfect fit. Each factory serviced shock is pressure tested after assembly to verify proper function.
    [​IMG]If you choose to do your own maintenance, all of our shocks are serviceable with our fully stocked rebuild kits that contain all necessary original parts. All King shocks are easily adjustable by anyone with simple tools and an understanding of shock construction and valving. A complete selection of tools to service your shocks is available directly from King.
    [​IMG]For those of you who wish to take advantage of our depth of knowledge in setting up your new shocks or optimizing your existing set-up we offer weekly in the field shock servicing and tuning by appointment. Many teams include a tuning session before they go testing.
    [​IMG]When it comes to race weekend we are there too, in the dirt, where you need us, with our fully stocked support trailer to handle any last minute needs including parts, re-valving or servicing. At King, our service to our customers is second to none.

6. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
  7. revitupmoto33

revitupmoto33 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    My pass side looks similar to your pic, still has pressure so just a slow leak, driver side has zero pressure left.
    The seals and valves themselves are fairly cheap if you end up doing them yourself. The first time I did it was able to find some helpful videos on YouTube. Trickiest part is removing the floating piston out of the resi, either need to make or buy one specific tool.

ram1500rsm likes this.
  8. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I'm going to replace my Bwoody rear track bar with the Freedom offroad performance trackbar
    Freedom offfroad is DOM steel tube and feels a lot stronger than the Bwoody one.

Stocker vs Freedom Offroad

[​IMG]2020-02-22_04-02-28 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  9. MidwestExpress

MidwestExpress Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    HEMI 5.7L
    I know you push these pretty hard off road, but how long have you had them on? Like a year and half? How many miles on them?

10. ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    From my notes: 14 months and 23k miles.
    I'm surprised it's the rear ones leaking and not the fronts considering the fronts are the ones i know have had the most abuse. it's a very minor leak so I'd think is just the wiper seals going kaput in the back but i'll know more later on. Haven't have the chance to take the shocks off the truck yet. my 1/2" Wulf front strut spacers showed up this morning so i'll try to the install the Ranchos backup this coming weekend and tackle the Kings on the side. The 1/2" spacers should put the Rancho QL's at 2.5" lift front.

Haven't decided yet what to do but i think i'll want to upgrade the front CO's to 600lbs springs and release some of the preload i've to have with the 500lbs ones.

MidwestExpress and revitupmoto33 like this.