2014 ram 3500 diesel problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troymmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I love my truck but have recently had a few problems. 17500 miles when it regens it smells in the cab really bad makes your eyes water. Dealer says everything is fine. I have. 40 foot horse trailer with living quarters. I had parked on a grass field with a slight incline. When it was time to leave the truck would not,go,forward. With it floored it just would not go. I had it in tow mode and no tire spin just would not make enough power to go. Had to back it down. I made up some story for the wife as to why we had to back down pretty embarrassing. Last week my wife drove over a parking stop with the front tires. She could only go backwards put the truck would not make enough power to pull its self out. The rear tires did not spin. She had it flored and it would not move. The tow truck driver could not believe it as he tried also and finally pulled the truck out. I took it back to the dealer showed them the bill and explained it to them they could not find a issue. When I got home I tried to power brake it in drive. It made about 8 pounds of boost and just sat there I was not even on the brake hard. I tried it in reverse it spooled up to 5 pounds of boost and just sat there. I grabbed my 99 ford diesel dully and tried the same thing with about the same brake pressure it kept building pressure tell the tires spun. I think there something wrong with my dodge or its really under powerd. Any one have a 14 6.7 will it power brake. Any help is greatly apreciated

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ram is the manufacture now not Dodge
Sounds like a torque management problem or a torque converter problem to me?
Does it feel like the transmission is slipping when you are stuck or does it feel like it's in neutral?

Do you have the HO Cummins with Aisin trans or the 68re?

You should not be able to smell it regen in the cab, I would certainly keep footing the dealer on that one

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There should be no odors in your cab. Persist in getting that repaired and I suspect you will solve the power problem.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
There should be no odors in your cab. Persist in getting that repaired and I suspect you will solve the power problem.

I agree. bad smell in the cab and low boost build makes me think there is an exhaust leak near the turbo. but can't rule out a TM issue either. Sounds like it is time to take the Service Manager on a ride along...

OP
OP
T

Troymmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
The problem with the smell is it only does it maybe once a month it's hard to figure out when it's actually going to do it and then it only does it for about five minutes the power issue reminds me of if you're using a weed whipping in tall grass and got a bunch of grass around the weed whip and you floor it would just sit there and not have enough power to turn it even at full throttle

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
My truck would smell when it would go through a regen, diesel smell inside the cab. I complained to the dealership every time I took my truck in around 18 times for various other different issues. They said it was normal, the smell inside the cab when going through a regen. Once the egr/cooler was delete no more diesel smell inside the cab.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah, if the smell only happens once a month or so then my guess it is a regen but honestly, its been so long since my truck regen'ed I can hardly remember what it was like. But I don't ever remember being able to smell it in the truck.

As for the low power issue I still think you take the Service Manager for a ride and show him. Then take another truck off the lot to the same spot and see if it has the same problem.

Last edited: