2014 Ram 4x4 Transfer Case shaft to Driver side CV question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AEDELGOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. This is my first Ram and first 4x4 truck so I've never owned or worked with a design like this before.

I just got my new to me 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi and I noticed this with the driver-side CV axel to the transfer case while inspecting underneath:

PXL_20221002_134549216.jpg

It looks like it is missing a part because the passenger side looks different and this (drive side) CV has some play, I can slide it a little from side to side.

This is what the passenger side looks like and appears to be fine though I noticed the output shaft from the transfer case comes out further so idk if that has anything to do with it:
PXL_20221002_134554552.jpg

It's the Borg-Warner 4444 transfer case.

Please let me know what part I need to look for if any, it's all new to me but I am excited to learn quickly about these trucks, thanks!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All normal, Its an even worse design on the inside. :mad:

rjmorr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have just ordered my driver side and passenger side intermediate shafts like you are talking about. I have a lot of on the passenger side where I can move the inner cv joint up and down about an 1/8 inch in both directions. The intermediate shafts are worn out along with the cv axle. I bought a new cv axle and installed it but the play is still there. The little lockring that hold the cv axle to the intermediate shaft was gone on mine so I put a new one on it. It helped to hold the cv in place and most of the shaking on the passenger side is gone but the intermediate shaft still needs to be changed. I got my parts today and hoping to change the passenger side intermediate shaft out in a couple days. I have looked for videos of how to do the passenger side but have not found any. I will make a video and post it hope I don't break anything doing it. If I do you will know what not to do lol. I got my parts from a place called premium parts in Canada and all they do is drivetrain parts. They are quality parts and are kind of pricy but I don't want to be doing the same job over again in 2 years. I got the right and left intermediate shafts and all the bearings and seals for $397 shipped free. I looked at other available parts on the internet from other sources and didn't like the quality of what I seen not even from the Mopar site. https://premiumpartsqc.com/products/right-intermediate-shaft-ram-1500

Attachments

• ram 2014.jpg
    ram 2014.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. This is my first Ram and first 4x4 truck so I've never owned or worked with a design like this before.

I just got my new to me 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi and I noticed this with the driver-side CV axel to the transfer case while inspecting underneath:

View attachment 503509

It looks like it is missing a part because the passenger side looks different and this (drive side) CV has some play, I can slide it a little from side to side.

This is what the passenger side looks like and appears to be fine though I noticed the output shaft from the transfer case comes out further so idk if that has anything to do with it:
View attachment 503510

It's the Borg-Warner 4444 transfer case.

Please let me know what part I need to look for if any, it's all new to me but I am excited to learn quickly about these trucks, thanks!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have just ordered my driver side and passenger side intermediate shafts like you are talking about. I have a lot of on the passenger side where I can move the inner cv joint up and down about an 1/8 inch in both directions. The intermediate shafts are worn out along with the cv axle. I bought a new cv axle and installed it but the play is still there. The little lockring that hold the cv axle to the intermediate shaft was gone on mine so I put a new one on it. It helped to hold the cv in place and most of the shaking on the passenger side is gone but the intermediate shaft still needs to be changed. I got my parts today and hoping to change the passenger side intermediate shaft out in a couple days. I have looked for videos of how to do the passenger side but have not found any. I will make a video and post it hope I don't break anything doing it. If I do you will know what not to do lol. I got my parts from a place called premium parts in Canada and all they do is drivetrain parts. They are quality parts and are kind of pricy but I don't want to be doing the same job over again in 2 years. I got the right and left intermediate shafts and all the bearings and seals for $397 shipped free. I looked at other available parts on the internet from other sources and didn't like the quality of what I seen not even from the Mopar site. https://premiumpartsqc.com/products/right-intermediate-shaft-ram-1500
The outfit that supplies the parts in Canada and to alot of the online suppliers is Rick Roods,and they already have a video out on how to do it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, a little more info would be helpful: how many miles on your truck? What size tires are you running? Was the front of your truck 'lifted'? And how much up/down 'freeplay' are you seeing?
Note: you may need to lift the wheel to remove the pre-load from the driveline.

Lot of vehicles use a similar design and have for many years. Under stock configuration they can last a long time. But they don't last forever obviously.

OP
OP
AEDELGOD

AEDELGOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, a little more info would be helpful: how many miles on your truck? What size tires are you running? Was the front of your truck 'lifted'? And how much up/down 'freeplay' are you seeing?
Note: you may need to lift the wheel to remove the pre-load from the driveline.

Lot of vehicles use a similar design and have for many years. Under stock configuration they can last a long time. But they don't last forever obviously.
Hey Jeepwalker,

Thanks for your patience and for reaching out, I made a video showing everything. There's really no up-and-down play with it, just a little side-to-side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ss3XEskBkHXP17oL9

The truck has 122,000 miles. The CV Axle in question doesn't look original but the passenger side one does look original.

To me, it just looks like it might be missing a dust cover on the driver's side since the passenger side has one for the front diff. but I'm not sure since I've never owned one of these before.

I don't get any noise or rattle but I am having alignment issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey Jeepwalker,

Thanks for your patience and for reaching out, I made a video showing everything. There's really no up-and-down play with it, just a little side-to-side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ss3XEskBkHXP17oL9

The truck has 122,000 miles. The CV Axle in question doesn't look original but the passenger side one does look original.

To me, it just looks like it might be missing a dust cover on the driver's side since the passenger side has one for the front diff. but I'm not sure since I've never owned one of these before.

I don't get any noise or rattle but I am having alignment issues.
Nothing wrong with that little bit of movement.The CV's really don't affect the trucks alignment.If you're having issues with getting it aligned,start looking at wheel bearings/hubs ,inner/outer tie rods ,upper /lower balljoints etc

OP
OP
AEDELGOD

AEDELGOD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing wrong with that little bit of movement.The CV's really don't affect the trucks alignment.If you're having issues with getting it aligned,start looking at wheel bearings/hubs ,inner/outer tie rods ,upper /lower balljoints etc
Thanks Wild One. Tie rods have been replaced and everything else looks good and snug but I might need to take it somewhere to have everything measured as something just might be slightly bent (or tire feathering might be throwing it off now). Truck has never been lifted and is all stock. My main concern was if there was a piece missing between the front diff and cv axle cause I don't want to wear those out prematurely and more of a pain to replace if they go out and get damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01