2014 ram 6.4 oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always run 15w40 and mine I feel like the 0w40 is way too thin. They run such a lightweight of oil to help pass fuel efficiency requirements and that's why you get so much oil consumption on most newer cars.
Old wives tail here. The 0W-20 is not to thin in this day and age. And actually the engine is designed for that weight oil, NOT 15W-40 - that is too heavy and the oil will not get thru the passages like it should and you will get early engine wear. But hey knock yourself out there bud.

william walker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
that sir is a good question. Like a fool I never checked it. ‍♂️ I assume it was. The truck has 22 miles on it when I bought it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old wives tail here. The 0W-20 is not to thin in this day and age. And actually the engine is designed for that weight oil, NOT 15W-40 - that is too heavy and the oil will not get thru the passages like it should and you will get early engine wear. But hey knock yourself out there bud.

They actually recommend 0w-40.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that sir is a good question. Like a fool I never checked it. ‍♂️ I assume it was. The truck has 22 miles on it when I bought it.

Well we would all like to assume it was full, but you never know these days :emotions34:

For what its worth, I switched to amsoil at my first oil change and it instantly went from an embarrassingly loud hemi to almost silent (for a hemi).

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I have 124k on the clock and normally on a 7-8,000 mile oil change I have to add 1-2qts of oil. Well I have 3500 miles since last oil change and I pulled the dip stick and it was barely on the dip stick. Put a qt and a half to get it back in the middle of the safe zone. Recently talked to Chrysler today about it and they suggested that I do a consumption test. I have a bumper to bumper full warranty no deductible until 190,000 miles so they said that will cover it. Any one else having these issues?

I suggest you get under the truck with a rag.

Look for accumulation of dirt and oily dirt and backtrack to a source.
Clean up the dirt/oil as you go.
If you don't find anything repeat after a couple of weeks.

I had lose valve covers and started from the bottom and found it.

Bigseff23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I live in South Central Florida. It never gets below 80, 10 months out of the year. My last Ram was a 2003 with the 5.7 hemi and i did the same thing and got almost 300k out of it so I'll go off my personal experience over a random post on a forum

Last edited:

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
I have an 08 bought new and used as a fun and work truck. I have a little over 300,000 km on it and use Mobil Synthetic extended oil,5W-30, changing filters at 10,000 miles and running for another 10,000 miles before oil change. Oil is not dirty at change intervals. Oil burn at first filter changes is about 75% of a US quart. I drive gently and much of my mileage is long distance trips of from 4000 to 12000 miles plus the regular work short distance of about 30 miles. The truck is a 5.7 with six on the floor. Reliable/dependable and carries/tows heavy loads occasionally. Truck gets very infrequent short runs.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly correct and exactly why I will spend the money to only use PUP in my truck and mopar filters till my power train warranty is out. After that I'll experiment with other 0-40s I can get at Wally world...lol much cheaper and more convenient to buy the 5qt jug at Wally and two quarts than the PUP which I can't get locally
I order my PUP online from WM, free ship to store in about two days.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I order my PUP online from WM, free ship to store in about two days.

Yeah I order it from avondale dodge on Ebay. $75 for 7 quarts and a mopar filter shipped. Not too bad.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The PCV system is internal to the intake manifold on the 6.4HD engines. So unfortunately it’s not really serviceable unless you replace the manifold.

As for FCA acceptable oil consumption. It is 1qt per 2000miles. That’s not just FCA though, it’s an industry standard. Personally I feel that’s excessive but I don’t make the rules.

Oil consumption also varies based on engine use. A 6.4 in a 5500 crane truck working hard everyday is going to use a lot more oil than a 2500 6.4 going to work and back.
My 2018 6.4 has no serviceable PVC?

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I order it from avondale dodge on Ebay. $75 for 7 quarts and a mopar filter shipped. Not too bad.
I don't remember what I paid through WM, but I think it was a little bit cheaper. I went with a Fram extragaurd filter since I read the regular Fram filters are nothing but paper.

rammerrodder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
before i changed the oil the last time i also used an engine cleaner to bring it back to new.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-moa-extended-life/
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-quick-clean-for-engines/[/QUOTE]

Why??? If you utilize a good synthetic oil with an OEM or better filter, and reasonable OCI's, you are doing more harm than good by "flushing" your engine. These boutique solutions are not recommended. Read your manual. This is similar to flushing your transmission. It is not recommended either. Both are backed up by millions of miles of testing under more extreme environments than virtually any truck will see.

Last edited:

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No it does not. If there was an issue with the PCV system the intake manifold would have to be replaced.
The PCV valve on the HD 6.4 is in the front passenger side top of the intake manifold just under the foam piece under the cover. FCA recommended changing it every 100k miles. It costs $30 and takes less than 5 minutes.

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 104,000 miles. Doesn't burn a drop. I use Mobil one only. I do change my oil every 5-6k and use factory filters.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The PCV valve on the HD 6.4 is in the front passenger side top of the intake manifold just under the foam piece under the cover. FCA recommended changing it every 100k miles. It costs $30 and takes less than 5 minutes.
Yes it is. I just changed it myself. Maybe 5 minutes of work. Not sure why it was ever stated you could not replace it.