2014 ram fix Led Light Error alphaobd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 Ram Led Tail Light parking Bulb Out Error Fix.
Hopefully this helps someone else.
In a nutshell: put a 6olm resistor on each line. Yes, that will be 2 resistors on 1 tailight and 2 resistors on the other tailight. And take off the manufacturers resistor if you want.
Long story version: I had original halogen tailights, switched to led bout year ago, and had 0 problems with them. I threw a rock or someone was shooting at me, not sure, and busted my back tailight. So I reordered some more (different brand). Installed them and got the parking light out error Everytime I touched my brakes or blinker only when the lights were on. I bought alphaobd and spent hours playing with different settings and playing around with everything as well as searching the internet with no luck. Sent those tailights back and ordered a different pair. Same thing happened. So I finally went to the store and bought another resistor, it's all I could think to try. As soon as I put it on the errors went away. I took the manufacturer resistor off too, just to see if it did anything. It works fine without manufacturer resistor. Error free..I can not stress enough what I've been thru with these lights. There is another option of going into the fuse box and getting the green wire with white stripe and grounding it. Well, I'm kinda nervous doing that, but I've done got it all apart and that was my next option. Lol Glad I tried the resistors first.. idk if taking the resistor off the blinker will work , you can try it, but for me, I'm running the way it is for now.. I hope all this helps someone else..

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Ram Led Tail Light parking Bulb Out Error Fix.
Hopefully this helps someone else.
In a nutshell: put a 6olm resistor on each line. Yes, that will be 2 resistors on 1 tailight and 2 resistors on the other tailight. And take off the manufacturers resistor if you want.
Long story version: I had original halogen tailights, switched to led bout year ago, and had 0 problems with them. I threw a rock or someone was shooting at me, not sure, and busted my back tailight. So I reordered some more (different brand). Installed them and got the parking light out error Everytime I touched my brakes or blinker only when the lights were on. I bought alphaobd and spent hours playing with different settings and playing around with everything as well as searching the internet with no luck. Sent those tailights back and ordered a different pair. Same thing happened. So I finally went to the store and bought another resistor, it's all I could think to try. As soon as I put it on the errors went away. I took the manufacturer resistor off too, just to see if it did anything. It works fine without manufacturer resistor. Error free..I can not stress enough what I've been thru with these lights. There is another option of going into the fuse box and getting the green wire with white stripe and grounding it. Well, I'm kinda nervous doing that, but I've done got it all apart and that was my next option. Lol Glad I tried the resistors first.. idk if taking the resistor off the blinker will work , you can try it, but for me, I'm running the way it is for now.. I hope all this helps someone else..
I was having the same problem and ran across your post. Parking Light Out fault whenever I braked or used the turn signal, but only when the lights were on. I also tried every setting imaginable with alphaobd. So I finally added an 8 ohm/50 watt resistor in parallel to the parking light circuit and it solved the problem. The LED tail light assembly came with an 8 ohm resistor on the brake/turn signal circuit, but none on the parking light circuit.

2022-03-05-10.jpg

2022-03-05-32.jpg

I didn't have the "Parking Light Out" fault until I upgraded my 3.5" EVIC to the 7" EVIC. Doesn't make sense why that would be but when I went back and looked at the information that came with my LED assembly, it warned against using them with the 7" EVIC because you might get the fault.

OP
OP
S

ScrappyDogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its such a shame that they sensor our Trucks so much that we have to go thru all of this ,just for a dang brakelight. I swear if they came out with a new vehicle without all this mess, you could buy a new truck for under 20k and not have the problems.. I just need an air conditionner and a Hemi, thats basically all I need in a truck..lol..Great job at finding another fix.. thanks for replying, hopefully all this will help someone else in the same boat..

Bbroj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was having the same problem and ran across your post. Parking Light Out fault whenever I braked or used the turn signal, but only when the lights were on. I also tried every setting imaginable with alphaobd. So I finally added an 8 ohm/50 watt resistor in parallel to the parking light circuit and it solved the problem. The LED tail light assembly came with an 8 ohm resistor on the brake/turn signal circuit, but none on the parking light circuit.

View attachment 487944

View attachment 487945

I didn't have the "Parking Light Out" fault until I upgraded my 3.5" EVIC to the 7" EVIC. Doesn't make sense why that would be but when I went back and looked at the information that came with my LED assembly, it warned against using them with the 7" EVIC because you might get the fault.
Did you use 50 watt resistors because that's what you had, or did you feel you needed the wattage to be that high? I have the parking light error code but am still running stock incandescent bulbs. From what I can find, they draw just over 6 watts. I think I have some low value resistors in my bulk supply of 10w resistors . I'm wondering if they will serve the purpose. Also, can't see where you connected your wires, you said parallel to the marker element, correct? Thanks!

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you use 50 watt resistors because that's what you had, or did you feel you needed the wattage to be that high? I have the parking light error code but am still running stock incandescent bulbs. From what I can find, they draw just over 6 watts. I think I have some low value resistors in my bulk supply of 10w resistors . I'm wondering if they will serve the purpose. Also, can't see where you connected your wires, you said parallel to the marker element, correct? Thanks!
I ordered a couple of 8 ohm/50 watt resistors because I was concerned about them getting too hot with a lower wattage resistor. If you're still using stock incandescent bulbs I don't why you are getting the error. To correct the error when using LED bulbs the resistor is wired in parallel with the bulb. You're right, my pictures don't show that very well at all. Intuitively, you would think the resistor would need to be in series, but for whatever reason it's got to be in parallel. I think I could have used anywhere from 6 ohm to 10 ohm resistors so I chose 8 ohm. It seems for an incandescent bulb you might want to wire the resister in series but that might make the bulb dimmer. I have no experience regarding resistors and incandescent bulbs.

Bbroj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, I have no idea why I'm getting the error either. I haven't checked much in alfaobd, but the truck has never had LED taillights, it was a fleet truck before I bought it. I don't think being set for LEDs and having incandescents would cause the error anyway. Not sure what the 7" EVIC has to do with it either.

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I have no idea why I'm getting the error either. I haven't checked much in alfaobd, but the truck has never had LED taillights, it was a fleet truck before I bought it. I don't think being set for LEDs and having incandescents would cause the error anyway. Not sure what the 7" EVIC has to do with it either.
I agree that even if the computer is set for LED's it doesn't seem you should have the error. I'm sure it's very frustrating. For some reason the computer must be measuring too much resistance on one of your bulbs thereby thinking it's burned out. As a last ditch effort you might try replacing the bulbs to see if that helps. One last thought... I'm sure you've double-checked to make sure ALL of your bulbs are working, but maybe there's one bulb somewhere that's actually burned out. Maybe even a side marker light or something? Just grasping at straws.

Bbroj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I ordered a couple of 8 ohm/50 watt resistors because I was concerned about them getting too hot with a lower wattage resistor. If you're still using stock incandescent bulbs I don't why you are getting the error. To correct the error when using LED bulbs the resistor is wired in parallel with the bulb. You're right, my pictures don't show that very well at all. Intuitively, you would think the resistor would need to be in series, but for whatever reason it's got to be in parallel. I think I could have used anywhere from 6 ohm to 10 ohm resistors so I chose 8 ohm. It seems for an incandescent bulb you might want to wire the resister in series but that might make the bulb dimmer. I have no experience regarding resistors and incandescent bulbs.

I agree that even if the computer is set for LED's it doesn't seem you should have the error. I'm sure it's very frustrating. For some reason the computer must be measuring too much resistance on one of your bulbs thereby thinking it's burned out. As a last ditch effort you might try replacing the bulbs to see if that helps. One last thought... I'm sure you've double-checked to make sure ALL of your bulbs are working, but maybe there's one bulb somewhere that's actually burned out. Maybe even a side marker light or something? Just grasping at straws.
I checked, all af my marker lights are working. I do find it odd that the rear marker filiments go out when the brake is applied (this is when the fault shows up) and come back on when the brake is released (the fault clears). I have no idea if that's normal operation or not, or if it did this before I changed to the 7" EVIC. I did see mention of a setting for single element tail light, im going to check that and anything else I can find.

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked, all af my marker lights are working. I do find it odd that the rear marker filiments go out when the brake is applied (this is when the fault shows up) and come back on when the brake is released (the fault clears). I have no idea if that's normal operation or not, or if it did this before I changed to the 7" EVIC. I did see mention of a setting for single element tail light, im going to check that and anything else I can find.
Wow, the rear marker going out when the brake is applied is a HUGE hint. It reminds me of a similar problem a friend of mine had back in the 70's. Whenever he applied the brakes on his car one of the rear tail lights would go out. It took him forever to figure out what was going on but as I recall it had something to do with one of the bulbs not making good contact in its socket and the ground path for the brake light bulb was going through the tail light ground circuit causing it to go out. That may not be totally accurate (it was a very long time ago) but it was something like that - and of course that was way before LEDs and CAN bus.
So, my suggestion is remove and replace all your bulbs, checking to make sure they're properly seated.

Bbroj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've seen something like that before as well. One filament broke and the still connected side laid across the other filament. It provived either power or ground to the good filament. All kinds of weird issues. I don't see that here, but will definitely double check.

Bbroj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To make things even more interesting, I had a reverse light go out and decided to put in LEDs. I changed it to LED present in alfaobd, but still got the failure after confirming both were working. Tightened the sockets and went back to incandescent (the loose socket was the actual cause of the failure), the failure cleared. Trying the LEDs again with the tightened socket, and letting the alfaobd change "soak" for an hour. Fingers crossed...

Bbroj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So the reverse light error is cleared, with the LED's installed. Letting the change "soak" for an hour seemed to do the trick. Now to figure out what to do to fix the marker light issue. Is "DTC" the diagnostic check for the lights? I see where that can be turned off.