2014 RAM Laramie Limited 5.7 4WD Transmission Service Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a question, I have a 2014 RAM Laramie Limited 5.7 Hemi with just about 80K on it now with the 8 speed automatic transmission, I purchased it at a dealer used and I am the 2nd owner so I have no idea if the transmission was serviced at the 60K mile mark by the original owner so I am interested in doing a service on it for peace of mind. Thinking if it still has factory fluid since I have no clue if it was ever service previously what fluid do I use, I was told ZF fluid but is that Synthetic and OK to mix with what came in the truck when it was new? I imagine a filter change with fluid is only about 7 quarts of fluid and does not completely drain everything like the cooler and torque converter so new ATF will be mixed with the remaining old (OEM)? Do you recommend one replacement pan over another since I am told the OEM pan has the filter built into it? I was thinking about using the Dorman pan so I could do just filters and gasket replacements in the future, thoughts? I certainly do appreciate this forum and all the great knowledgeable people in it. Thanks in advance!

Octane

Reaction score
I have a question, I have a 2014 RAM Laramie Limited 5.7 Hemi with just about 80K on it now with the 8 speed automatic transmission, I purchased it at a dealer used and I am the 2nd owner so I have no idea if the transmission was serviced at the 60K mile mark by the original owner so I am interested in doing a service on it for peace of mind. Thinking if it still has factory fluid since I have no clue if it was ever service previously what fluid do I use, I was told ZF fluid but is that Synthetic and OK to mix with what came in the truck when it was new? I imagine a filter change with fluid is only about 7 quarts of fluid and does not completely drain everything like the cooler and torque converter so new ATF will be mixed with the remaining old (OEM)? Do you recommend one replacement pan over another since I am told the OEM pan has the filter built into it? I was thinking about using the Dorman pan so I could do just filters and gasket replacements in the future, thoughts? I certainly do appreciate this forum and all the great knowledgeable people in it. Thanks in advance!
Probably not ever serviced since it is a lifetime fluid with no recommended service interval.As far as FCA is concerned anyway.Most here recommend 100k service intervals here on the forum tho And its a zf fluid,not to mix with other types I am told and it aint cheap stuff either

OP
OP
Daniel Zukowski
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great and thanks, now when the time comes I'll still need to answer my questions so I am ready for it. I assume when it is new it comes with ZF fluid as well?

Last edited:

4thGenLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great Post. I have basically the same truck. I've also just bought it from the dealer and am the 2nd owner. Wanted to do the Transmission change and had the same questions about the best RECOMENDED PANS. I think I'll go with the REDLINE fluid I see many other members mentioning. Hopefully another member can chime in regarding the PAN they recommend.

Also, should mention, 5.7L, 51,000 miles, 8hp70 trans, 3.55 rear end