2014 Sport, unintentional acceleration ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having 2 problems with my truck,

1'st, coming home late last night, sitting at red light, out of nowhere truck just accelerates on its own and tries taking off. luckily it was late so no one was in front of me. I had to mash the brakes with both feet and put it in neutral. After a few seconds and realizing it wasn't me with my foot on the gas by accident I was about to shut it off when it just quit on its own. I was able to make it home without another issue but I haven't driven it since. any ideas?
I searched and found a few similar complaints but no answers on what exactly causes it.

2'nd,
Is bad handling, going around curves in the road at highway speeds or any slightly rough pavement and its all over the road. And it has slightly better but still what I would consider bad body roll. I replaced the front shocks and springs, the rear shocks, all new sway bar bushings and end links but it dint really help much at all.

2014, less than 80K on the odometer.

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
The handling could be rear control arms.
Mine tightened up a lot when I replaced all 4.
First issue I have no idea.

OP
OP
sentrek

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will give the rear control arms a shot. Thanks.

Yeah,
1'st issue concerns me alot. If my wife or teenage son with his learners permit was driving it when it occurred who knows what might have happened.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

1'st, coming home late last night, sitting at red light, out of nowhere truck just accelerates on its own and tries taking off. luckily it was late so no one was in front of me. I had to mash the brakes with both feet and put it in neutral. After a few seconds and realizing it wasn't me with my foot on the gas by accident I was about to shut it off when it just quit on its own. I was able to make it home without another issue but I haven't driven it since. any ideas?
I searched and found a few similar complaints but no answers on what exactly causes it.

2'nd,
Is bad handling, going around curves in the road at highway speeds or any slightly rough pavement and its all over the road. And it has slightly better but still what I would consider bad body roll. I replaced the front shocks and springs, the rear shocks, all new sway bar bushings and end links but it dint really help much at all.

We are terribly sorry to hear that this happened, @sentrek. Please do not hesitate to follow up with our team privately. We would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf if you choose to address this concern with your dealer.

Kathryn
RamCares

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow, a FCA customerCare rep is monitoring the forum? That gives me such a nice warm fuzzy.

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sentrek Were you using Cruise Control when it took off on you?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Do you have plastic floor mats like the weather tech /Husky Oedro ??? It Has happened before that the mat has ridden higher on the floor and hit the gas pedal ! Just a thought !

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah i would look into the mats, could have been just touching lower section of gas pedal and with your foot on brake your heal could have moved mat and pushed pedal down somewhat.
My oegro mats got stuck on top and threw me for a ride! Had to trim the mat, bad design.

OP
OP
sentrek

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No to using cruise control. Was on city streets and was 5 or 6 red lights into the drive home before it occurred.
I was at a dead stop with my foot (right foot) on the brake when the rpms just started climbing rapidly and the truck started moving, had to apply both feet on the brake to stop it and get it in neutral before I went into cross traffic.
I have the factory carpet mats and they have never moved on me before. I suppose anything is possible but if you do a google search there are a handful of cases of the same thing happening. I just cant find a resolution.
I will probably just try the idle air control valve and throttle body position sensor since they are relatively inexpensive before I deal with going to a dealer only to be told nothing is wrong with it because they can't replicate the issue.

R242

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You said it accelerated without hitting the gas pedal? That sounds like your transmission slipping into gear. I've had the same thing happen to me in another vehicle.

R242

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its an automatic.. so I was already in gear.

View attachment 227194

View attachment 227193
Should've been more specific, my bad. Mine would slip from 1st to overdrive while at a streetlight, the overdrive servo had failed. the idle acceleration actually increased to an overdrive acceleration, shooting me out into traffic, well, I slammed my foot to the brake I mean.

OP
OP
sentrek

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotchya,
I am pretty confident it wasn't anything like that but I will keep in it mind incase I do decide to have it looked at.
This was equivalent to trying to power brake it, except my feet were no where near the gas pedal.

Uncle Damo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you happen to have a Pedal Commander installed ? Mine acted up like that once, CEL came on and the truck went into limp mode. I disconnected the PC and everything was fine.

OP
OP
sentrek

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Negative on the pedal commander. Just the Hemifever tune with the diablo but that has been installed for 75k+ miles.
I haven't made any changes except new shocks since original mods were done, again 75k+ miles ago.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Negative on the pedal commander. Just the Hemifever tune with the diablo but that has been installed for 75k+ miles.
I haven't made any changes except new shocks since original mods were done, again 75k+ miles ago.
If you have a Uconnect 8.4 inch radio with older firmware it's "possible" that someone has remote access to drive your vehicle. Very unlikely, put possible...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

2'nd,

Not sure about the first issue but I agree with your other post about replacing the IAC and throttle position sensors.

As for the second issue I added a rear sway bar to my wife's 2018 regular cab short bed and it made a big difference in the handling. I am considering replacing the rear control arms as well with after market ones.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Second issue, Hellwig sway bar and core 4x4 track bar, rear upper and lower control arms. Problem fixed. I have a 9” lift on my rig and it handles corners like a champ. Solid on the road.

First issue, sounds like The Reaper and Casper had plans for you!

OP
OP
sentrek

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First issue, sounds like The Reaper and Casper had plans for you![/QUOTE]

This would not surprise me in the least little bit... haha
I am thinking it could possibly be related to recall #18V332000, but I have never once used the cruise control so I don't know.
Trying to get it to a dealer in the next couple of weeks to have all the safety recalls addressed.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
How high did the RPMs get with this self acceleration thing? If the engine stumbled due to something like dirt on the intake air temp sensor, the PCM might have commanded a bit of throttle to overcome it. Just a guess.

Sorry if I missed it, but does this truck have the 6spd or ZF8?

In terms of the handling. Looks like you've owned the truck since new? Is this a sudden change? First guess is tires since it sounds like you're on top of the suspension. As you know, you're going to get ****-end hop if you're in a curve and hit a bump. Is what it is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye