2015 1500 Eco Diesel Overheating after driving an hour on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Thorson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco-diesel
My truck runs great for an hour, but after that on the highway, it overheats at any speed over 65. The heat starts in the oil and spreads to the Coolant Temp and Transmission. I had an issue with the transmission last year and the part that allows the transmission to cool was replaced. Cooling fan seems slow to come on, but this was in nice weather, not summer heat. If I keep the speed at 65, all is great.

I'm not real savvy on engine work, but it seems like this might just be one part that needs replaced.

Temps at 75 mph after an hour inch up to 226 -coolant, 219-transmission, and 231 -Oil Temp. Oil is the first one to get up there. They came down after slowing speed down to 65.

Any ideas would be helpful.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
how's the coolant level? Did this come on all of a sudden or has the temps gradually crept up? Has the EGR cooler been updated via recall?

OP
OP
P

Paul Thorson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco-diesel
Not sure about the temps. I don't take that many two hour trips. It does take an hour on the highway for the temps to get up there.

I am up to date on all of my recalls.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Since I don’t know much, I always start with the simplest possible solution. Is your thermostat working properly?

OP
OP
P

Paul Thorson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco-diesel
Yes. I replaced the thermostat last summer. I did not get it at the dealership, so I might start there. It does seem simple.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Would that fan modification help ?
from the 6 cylinder

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Would that fan modification help ?
from the 6 cylinder
No, the EcoDiesel is already equipped with a 850 watt PWM controlled electric fan. It's power is direct from the battery via a 100 amp fuse. Ram started using the same capacity fan on the Hemi in the DT body trucks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It does take an hour on the highway for the temps to get up there.

I am up to date on all of my recalls
If your at freeway speed the engine should pretty much up to temperature even when the ambient is 40°F. I wonder if the t-stat is not closing all the way and hanging up and not opening.
People have noted that the engine temps seem to run cooler after the AEM update.