2015 - 1500 Engine - Ping or tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prairieboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another is it a lifter, manifold leak or other question.

83000 k on a Hemi sport. Things were going well, but recently, within the last week, when I start the truck cold, I could hear a faint tick. I can only hear it from inside the cab and when I listen outside of the cab, I can't hear anything. Troubling thig about it is it'***** or miss whether it happens or not on cold starts. The only reason I'm asking this question is because at certain times, when engine is hot, if I take off, the noise I get is almost a pinging noise from the engine like its not the right fuel or the engine is overloaded.

I'm contemplating resetting the computer as most of daily driving in stop/go traffic and the eco mode is quite often on due to slower traffic etc. It hasn't been shifting and performance that I had when I first got it. It's learned my driving habits sadly.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether I should be getting concerned. I checked oil levels and I get regular 8k oil changes with house oil and filter. I'm in Canada, and I'm not sure if I can get Redline where I'm located in Saskatchewan.

Lastly I noticed the other day that the passenger side manifold area is lightly covered in oil.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diagnosing a sound over the internet is notoriously hard.

There's a possibility you have a cracked manifold bolt and the leak closes up when it gets warm. There's a possibility the anti-drainback valve in your oil filter is either getting hardened up (varnish buildup, entropy, etc) or dirty allowing oil to drain back to the pan so your first few seconds on startup are dry while the engine builds oil pressure.

Seeking out special oil (redline, etc) is all wishful thinking, as long as the oil meets the specification in the owners manual and is changed routinely relative to the duty cycle you're subjecting the vehicle to there's no meaningful difference between oil brands that would account for any kind of failure at only 83k km.

These engines have knock sensors and all modern coil-on-plug engines have misfire detection, you'd be getting a check engine light if there was combustion knock/ping we're not in the 1980s anymore :)

OP
OP
P

prairieboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Diagnosing a sound over the internet is notoriously hard.

There's a possibility you have a cracked manifold bolt and the leak closes up when it gets warm. There's a possibility the anti-drainback valve in your oil filter is either getting hardened up (varnish buildup, entropy, etc) or dirty allowing oil to drain back to the pan so your first few seconds on startup are dry while the engine builds oil pressure.

Seeking out special oil (redline, etc) is all wishful thinking, as long as the oil meets the specification in the owners manual and is changed routinely relative to the duty cycle you're subjecting the vehicle to there's no meaningful difference between oil brands that would account for any kind of failure at only 83k km.

These engines have knock sensors and all modern coil-on-plug engines have misfire detection, you'd be getting a check engine light if there was combustion knock/ping we're not in the 1980s anymore :)
Is there any way to easily check the anti-drainback valve?

I've never had any CEL other than the darn check fuel cap issue - or so I thought so I always just re-adjusted the fuel cap and cleared the code with my OBDII

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any way to easily check the anti-drainback valve?

Not really, but it's a part of your oil filter so when you screw on a new oil filter you're also ******** on a brand new valve. (oh come on... this censor is stupid... i can't say "s_crewing" or "t_hrust" on a forum where we're talking about machines that have threads and generate momentum? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Every manufacturer has a somewhat different design/material for this valve it's really just a flap of rubber but it does have a large perimeter to seal and very little pressure acting on it to create that seal so it's not uncommon for them to develop slow leaks with basically no consequence other than a little valve clatter on startup.

OP
OP
P

prairieboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not really, but it's a part of your oil filter so when you screw on a new oil filter you're also ******** on a brand new valve. (oh come on... this censor is stupid... i can't say "s_crewing" or "t_hrust" on a forum where we're talking about machines that have threads and generate momentum? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Every manufacturer has a somewhat different design/material for this valve it's really just a flap of rubber but it does have a large perimeter to seal and very little pressure acting on it to create that seal so it's not uncommon for them to develop slow leaks with basically no consequence other than a little valve clatter on startup.
LOL - "watch your profanity". I get it though.

Maybe I'll spend the 80 bucks and get my oil and filter changed to start off with. It's almost due anyway. Yes, I'm in Canada and 80 bucks is the norm for a regular oil change. Arghhh

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe need a new pcv, take off air filter and see if any oil is there, take radiator cap off and see if any oil is there or in over flow. Find the source of the oil, it doesnt belong there. No drips on driveway ever? What year ram?

OP
OP
P

prairieboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe need a new pcv, take off air filter and see if any oil is there, take radiator cap off and see if any oil is there or in over flow. Find the source of the oil, it doesnt belong there. No drips on driveway ever? What year ram?
I'll have to look at air filter/coolant and see if oil is present. No oil drips on driveway. 2015 Sport.