2015 1500 massively screwed. Lost only ignition key fob and locked out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preventec47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
Truck is parked in parking lot at Shopping Center 2 miles from home and I am locked out. What do I do ?
This 2015 vehicle has the FOB that locks doors and has panic button and I only received one with the Truck when I bought it 2 years ago. I am hoping that with my VIN number the Dealer can create a new working
key FOB for me. I expect $400 cost perhaps ? Is there anything else I should know? Hope I dont have to pay a locksmith to break into my truck. BTW. I am 90 percent sure I lost the keys while shopping .... BUT
I could have screwed up and locked the keys in the truck. I may have set the keys down while putting on my face mask before exiiting the vehicle. I FEEL like I remember using the key fob to lock the doors after exit
but not 100 percent sure. IF SO ........ How to break into truck to get keys ? Crow-bar to door ? Locksmith? I dont even remember ... if I can get a coat hanger down inside the door from the outside,
can I pull up on the door handle to unlock the door ? I dont even remember how the handle works or if it
is connected to the door lock ? I cannot see any way of grabbing the lock stub from outside to pull up on
it to unlock the door.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Call a locksmith. They can open the truck and you check for the fob. If found, they can make you a spare. If not, they program new ones. You will need the key code from a dealer to have new ones programmed. Most good locksmiths can help you get it. This type problem is their bread and butter. They deal with it most every day.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Locksmith x2

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just break in thru the sliding rear window.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know with my 12 it came with 1 remote. Lock button went out and a locksmith fixed it and I picked up an extra key any key I know with the style I have key in ignition will work. My spare key is a Chrysler key.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X2 Call a Locksmith.

When I purchased my used Ram, I refused to even complete the deal until the dealer was able to produce both fobs. In this case, the second fob was in the glovebox. Then I ordered and programmed to additional fobs and tossed them in a safe.

Besides a spare key/fob, some very handy information to have tucked away is your truck's PIN and Key Code.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you call Chrysler to unlock remotely? (pay a fee or whatever?)

Be VERY leery of a locksmith who pries your door open with a wedge or bag. Don't have them do it. It can (and probably will) pop a spot weld and warp and screw up your door regardless of whatever polite assurances they give you (don't believe it). I've seen it happen. Ram doors are very large and they need to be rigid to seal nice and tight (and keep the cabin quiet). Once it's warped and/or the seals damaged, it's not going to be easy to unwarp, esp if a couple spot welds break in the process. Like I say, I've stood right there and seen locksmiths damage doors and they didn't even realize what damage they were creating!

Door lock guys don't have to live with any warpage or leaky air damage so what do they care -- they got you 'in' for your 50 bucks? But then you'll have an annoying air leak by your ear you may not be able to make go away. Better to break a window if you need to, than damage the door frame. Or better, agree to pay the locksmith more $$ for their legitimate time to figure out the key (from the tumbler) and make a new key on the spot. That's really the 'right' way to go. If the locksmith wants to go the easy route and use a wedge or air bag, send them on their merry way and find a different guy, or break a window. No way I'd let a guy screw up my truck's door frame.

Since your truck's a 2015, that's 6-7 yrs old depending on the build. Maybe you'd be better off calling a windshield guy and replace the windshield, get into it that way. It would probably cost the same as fixing a broken window (even the sliding rear glass), and at least you get a brand new windshield out of the deal and didn't have to do any work. That's assuming you think the existing fob is inside the vehicle. A new windshield is like a new pr of glasses: you didn't know how bad the old pr were until you put on the new ones -- "WOW, they're so CLEAR!!" ha ha

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got a vehicle too that only has one key and fob right now (can't find the 2nd set). Your experience is making me think I should get on that 2nd key I've been meaning to get but have procrastinated doing.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FWIW, on most of my vehicles I have a blank spare key (hardware store made) in a hidden magnetic lock box under the vehicle. I've actually needed to use it before. Just this summer I locked the key inside. I started getting real mad at myself because I knew my wife wasn't able to rescue me for quite a while (busy schecule that day). Then suddenly I remembered the spare key and yep, there it was under there where I put it. It'll only open the door, but that's all I needed! Wheeew!

Danimal713

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a used 2012 RAM with just over 53K miles. It only had one FOB. I went to local dealer with bill of sale cause I did not have title yet. But anything to prove ownership. They got the key code and programed a new FOB with the integrated spare manual key (missing on original FOB as well). It cost just over $250. Later I was browsing MarketPlace and saw several listings for key FOBs for RAM- 2 for $35. Take that to a locksmith to program. I dislike dealing with dealers cause they charge wacky-high rates that I think of like gouging. Check with a locksmith first. I also agree not to let them pry the door.
So a warning light was on for airbag so I asked them to diagnose while it was there for FOB- an extra $130 charge plus a quote for $1500 to "fix it" Case it point- I do not care for dealers service.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the best things you can do is when dealing with any vehicle that uses a single key for access or to operate it is to have a separate mechanical key cut and then carry it on a separate key chain.
I found out years ago to carry two key chains, one with only your car keys. And the second key chain of only your house keys with one emergency key to gain access or operate your car if needed. Important as this second key chain only leaves you pocket as your house keys are on it and is used as needed.
Plus on the subject of locksmiths my best friend is a locksmith with over thirty plus years of experience.
A true locksmith will only access your vehicle from the passenger side door.
Also if a wedge or air bladder needs to be used it will be just enough force to get the tool needed to get in and out of the door without any damage.
Yes damage can happen from time to time but the chances are small with a locksmith with years of experience.
Also breaking out a side window is just plain expensive and it costs a whole more than having a locksmith come unlock your vehicle.

Just my two cents worth

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also if a wedge or air bladder needs to be used it will be just enough force to get the tool needed to get in and out of the door without any damage.
Yes damage can happen from time to time but the chances are small with a locksmith with years of experience.
I agree with you, a true locksmith will go in through the key.

Ram owners, do yourself a favor and NEVER let a locksmith talk you into prying your door open. Maybe sometimes once in a while they get lucky and don't damage a door. I don't think these locksmiths even understand or notice the doors are 'sprung' after they've done their job with a wedge or air bag. They're thinking about getting it open, not long-term damage. They pack up the tools and away they go. I worked at a bodyshop for years so I look at things through the lens of a body and paint guy who's changed/re-skinned and pulled out a lot of doors.

I've personally stood right there on multiple occasions and watched a locksmith work open a door, heard a few spot welds go 'Pop!" and inspected the door afterwards and they didn't seal up as well afterwards where they were forced open. I bet if you had a body guy standing there with you on your occasions, he's point out the same thing (that a lot of owners wouldn't see). And don't put a wedge between the door glass and weatherstrip ...it'll screw up the weatherstrip and bow-out the door where it (used to) seal against the glass. To me these sprung doors were junk. Sure a guy could probably attempt to spring it back, if it was easy enough, maybe re-align it (then other gaps won't line up very well), or remove the glass and attempt to straighten the door along the glass ....and replace the weatherstrip ....but these things costs time/money too that a lot of owners won't do.

Like you said, a real locksmith will enter with the key. It takes more time but better so spend a few extra buck in this case.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And this why I hate key fobs. Miss the simple metal keys that only cost a couple of bucks at most hardware stores to cut duplicates. Easy enough to hide a spare key in a strategic location under your vehicle.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A decent locksmith can make a Valet Key to get into your vehicle
Just like a slug or blank that they would use to get into your house

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a used 2012 RAM with just over 53K miles. It only had one FOB. I went to local dealer with bill of sale cause I did not have title yet. But anything to prove ownership. They got the key code and programed a new FOB with the integrated spare manual key (missing on original FOB as well). It cost just over $250. Later I was browsing MarketPlace and saw several listings for key FOBs for RAM- 2 for $35. Take that to a locksmith to program. I dislike dealing with dealers cause they charge wacky-high rates that I think of like gouging. Check with a locksmith first. I also agree not to let them pry the door.
So a warning light was on for airbag so I asked them to diagnose while it was there for FOB- an extra $130 charge plus a quote for $1500 to "fix it" Case it point- I do not care for dealers service.
This (above) sounds like a great approach too. Call the Chrysler service/parts dept in advance and ask what proof-of-ownership they need and go get a new key/fob. You need a 2nd key and fob anyway, this just forces the issue. And if you don't find your key/fob inside, you have the new one and can drive the truck home. No broken glass. When you get home your fob will probably be in your 'other pocket' that you checked 3x before... lol (sorry I couldn't resit -- something that would happen to me)

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hopefully he will post what the solution was.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Worse than cars are airplanes. Guy at the field had a locksmith get him into his Cessna. Those doors are light and made of aluminum. The door got tweaked. Cost over 6,000 to fix plus since it was frame issue, he had to get a new airworthiness certificate which took months.