2015 1500 massively screwed. Lost only ignition key fob and locked out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi_Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
This story made me think about the many times I locked myself out of cars or trucks in my 60 years of car/truck repair ! My cars and customer cars. Early on I got good with coat hangers and tow truck "keys". Now I carry spare door keys in my wallet for my Ram 1500 and '74 Duster. And yes, now I use them more than ever !!

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
OK kids, here's the deal, I am a locksmith, DO NOT confuse a trunk slammer for a real locksmith, trunk slammers are the guys you find on the edge of the phone book, he'll show up and get you in and probably damage your car in the process. A real experienced locksmith will access the vehicle and can make you keys and fobs without any codes from the dealer and in the end the only way you'll know he was there is you have a key and a lighter wallet.
When you buy a vehicle, make it a part of the deal that you get spare keys, having one key is the dealers problem until you hand over your money then you just bought that problem. Remember one is one away from none and none is expensive.
Because I have a high volume business it allows me to buy large quantities of chip keys and fobs and get a good price on them, so my customers get a good price. The fob for this members 2015 Ram I sell for $50 including programming (that's not a typo $50) as long as the customer come to me at my shop so a spare fob does not have to require a second mortgage.
Thats pretty good of you. Over the years I have had to replace keys that were lost. I think the last one was for my 07 ram diesel. All the locksmiths here in town just do not have the equipment to make a chip key work. 285 dollars later I now have ine key for it. I even thought I would save money buying the combo chip/fob/key they claimed they could not use it for some odd reason. The new key will never get lost its now chained to the dash. We only use it to move heavy loads anyway.

Imran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK kids, here's the deal, I am a locksmith, DO NOT confuse a trunk slammer for a real locksmith, trunk slammers are the guys you find on the edge of the phone book, he'll show up and get you in and probably damage your car in the process. A real experienced locksmith will access the vehicle and can make you keys and fobs without any codes from the dealer and in the end the only way you'll know he was there is you have a key and a lighter wallet.
When you buy a vehicle, make it a part of the deal that you get spare keys, having one key is the dealers problem until you hand over your money then you just bought that problem. Remember one is one away from none and none is expensive.
Because I have a high volume business it allows me to buy large quantities of chip keys and fobs and get a good price on them, so my customers get a good price. The fob for this members 2015 Ram I sell for $50 including programming (that's not a typo $50) as long as the customer come to me at my shop so a spare fob does not have to require a second mortgage.

Imran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm in Canada are you located close by?

Mrbyh20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find it convenient to have uconnect to solve this problem. The app lets you lock, unlock, start your truck etc.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't have money that i can waste on something as useless as Uconnect

What is it now, $22 bucks a month, for what ?

AAA gets a locksmith, a tow truck, takes care of almost all of the things at the DMV, discounts for Lodging, discounts to buy a new Ram

PROSOUTH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a bracket on the inside of the gas tank door on my 03 and 05 Ram to hang your gas tank lid in while fueling. I took a 3” round magnet with a chrome cover, that are available at many hardware stores, it also has a small hole in the center of it. I took a key I had cut without the plastic cover and a nut and bolt to attach the key to it. It fits perfectly in the gas cap holder bracket on the gas door. And yes I have used it so many times over the years.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
When I bought my ram they only gave me one key fob. I told them I would not leave the lot without a second fob (at no charge). I then bought two blank fobs, and programmed them myself. So now I have one to use, one in a spare key box attached to my frame, one inside the truck and one at home, just in case. The places I travel are often hundreds of miles from a dealership or locksmith, so no sense taking chances.

Terry58

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dealership made a key for the door only. 2014 1500 Ram Express.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a previous truck (GMC Sonoma) I drove (wasn't mine, was on loan), I locked the keys inside, and the police ended up coming and getting the door opened for me, using an air bag thing, and it ended up warping the door.

Once you get in, I recommend, and this is something I do, even with the FOB'd keys, make a non-chipped door lock spare. It is enough to get you in the door without having to break things, and put it on a spare set of keys, or in a mag box attached somewhere on the truck. It has saved my bacon quite a few times, and like on those vehicles that have a chip or something in the starter key, it won't start the vehicle, but it will get you in.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This guy came up with a ingenious way to get at the keys!
(sawzall) :D

hqdefault.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Woah, is it really $22/mo for U-Connect now?!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just curious as to why people said, break the windshield (fyi - you aren't breaking a windshield and crawling in), break the sliding window (option, but seems to be an expensive one), have locksmith pop the door (no thanks), when there are up to 4 perfectly good door windows, which should be fairly inexpensive and easy to change since these trucks doors are everywhere in junkyards (approx $50)?