2015 1500 massively screwed. Lost only ignition key fob and locked out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Call a locksmith. They can open the truck and you check for the fob. If found, they can make you a spare. If not, they program new ones. You will need the key code from a dealer to have new ones programmed. Most good locksmiths can help you get it. This type problem is their bread and butter. They deal with it most every day.
Many lock smiths can not program a ram key. My wife had her 2021 locked up while on a trip. They could open the truck for sure but not program the key or fob. At best he made her a key to unlock the one outside lock on the door. And fortunately they keys were on the floor. One time she actually lost them she was too far away for me to bring mine, so truck got towed to a dealer and 700 dollars later a new programmed key and fob.

yomanne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope your story had/has a happy ending. Regarding new key fobs, I've had very good luck with the $15 Aupoko GQ4-53T Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VWVZ1MF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using alphaobd, I've programmed them for 2014 & 2016 Ram 1500's for myself, friends and family. Never had a problem. Also, it should be noted alphaobd can also be used to look up your 4-digit key fob PIN. No more going to the dealer.

2021-10-14-21.jpg

aux576

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK kids, here's the deal, I am a locksmith, DO NOT confuse a trunk slammer for a real locksmith, trunk slammers are the guys you find on the edge of the phone book, he'll show up and get you in and probably damage your car in the process. A real experienced locksmith will access the vehicle and can make you keys and fobs without any codes from the dealer and in the end the only way you'll know he was there is you have a key and a lighter wallet.
When you buy a vehicle, make it a part of the deal that you get spare keys, having one key is the dealers problem until you hand over your money then you just bought that problem. Remember one is one away from none and none is expensive.
Because I have a high volume business it allows me to buy large quantities of chip keys and fobs and get a good price on them, so my customers get a good price. The fob for this members 2015 Ram I sell for $50 including programming (that's not a typo $50) as long as the customer come to me at my shop so a spare fob does not have to require a second mortgage.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I always carry a single door key in my pocket so I'm never locked out. I use the fob for everything but I have a fail safe in case I sat the fob down in the truck. Thinking back I've probably done this same thing with all my vehicles. Cheap insurance.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, I ensure I have a second fob. Always. For this fool, replacing a lost or broken fob, IS a priority.

In the past, not currently, have had a slim valet key for the door, in my wallet. Thanks to this thread, within a couple days, I'll have a valet key ditched under my Ram. Painless. Only a couple bucks and frequently in HD or Lowe's anyway.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I will tell you the one item that we should all have

It is called a Transponder Key
You could stick it in your Watch Pocket of your jeans
Surfers & Swimmers take it with them in the water

The Head contains a Chip
The key part opens your doors
The chip is sealed in the head

2018-dodge-ram-truck-transponder-key-blank-7.jpg

If you have an ACE HARDWARE nearby, they may not be the cheapest, ( i don't know what their prices are )
They do sell FOBs & program them too

Last edited:

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know with my 12 it came with 1 remote. Lock button went out and a locksmith fixed it and I picked up an extra key any key I know with the style I have key in ignition will work. My spare key is a Chrysler key.
My 2011 Sport that I bought new came with two fobs. one I used daily, the other I had put away as a spare if ever needed. The daily use fob got to acting funky, just barely touch the lock or unlock tab and it would react. Switched to the backup and things were okay for a while, then it started to do the same thing. If you take the fob apart, there is a circuit board and each tab has a disc under it to make contact with the board. The discs eventually come loose and move, that's when they become sensitive to just a light touch. Ordered a fob from eBay, took it apart, took my original fob apart and put the board from it into the eBay replacement, the disc with the replacement has clear tape holding them in place, used those instead of the one that were loose, put it back together, and viola, new fob that works perfectly. A lot less than going to the dealer and paying $400.00+ to get one programmed.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, on most of my vehicles I have a blank spare key (hardware store made) in a hidden magnetic lock box under the vehicle. I've actually needed to use it before. Just this summer I locked the key inside. I started getting real mad at myself because I knew my wife wasn't able to rescue me for quite a while (busy schecule that day). Then suddenly I remembered the spare key and yep, there it was under there where I put it. It'll only open the door, but that's all I needed! Wheeew!
^^^^^^^^^ DITTO !!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have an "extra" door key only, that I ALWAYS carry on a small ring with my tonneau cover key. Whenever I go ne where, I HAVE gotten into the habit of always carrying, just in case I have a ***** (F U B A R) and lock keys in truck, especially since I have push start and may just throw keys into console.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Hopefully he will post what the solution was.

Doubt it.

People like him that have been long time owners but never joined until they have an emergency rarely return to give a follow up.

DMartin27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Dodge truck and I’ll tell you a must buy for locking your keys in your vehicle. Go to Home Depot and buy you a door shim airbag. They are the small flat airbags that locksmiths use to create space between the door and inside door frame. I started carrying one in my truck tool box. I carry a wire hanger also. With these two things in your truck you’ll never be locked out again.

Magdiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too many posts, no solution. This is just yakity,yakity,yakity. You guy s cannot control yourselves.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have a Dodge truck and I’ll tell you a must buy for locking your keys in your vehicle. Go to Home Depot and buy you a door shim airbag. They are the small flat airbags that locksmiths use to create space between the door and inside door frame. I started carrying one in my truck tool box. I carry a wire hanger also. With these two things in your truck you’ll never be locked out again.
Hell of a lot easier just to carry a spare key in your wallet or in that tool box.

If the key is already locked in get Unconnect to unlock the truck or get the dealer or Locksmith (you need your VIN) to cut you a new Key or program you a new FOB. WAY better idea than tweaking the door frame.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question: Is the Ram's fob a proximity fob? I should know this because I rented a number of Chrysler 300's in the last few years. Mine's a backward Tradesman with a REAL key (no fob), so I forget what the Ram fob system is like.

Reason I ask is, would a locksmith attempting to open a Ram door set off the alarm -- not having the 'right' vehicle's fob on him?

skyboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the same thing except the truck was in my driveway. Took the VIN number, Title/Registration and driver's license to dealer and they cut a new key. After I did all that, I found my spare key in the house. :(

nanuk-O-dah-Nort

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I always wonder about locking in keys
So now, if I ever get out and have to leave the keys in, I open a window. ALWAYS.

I think I am going to get a magnetic holder and basic key to unlock the door.
I do have two keys, two fobs, and one aftermarket (I think) fob for my 2003, but I don't carry all of them.

who ever designs vehicles where you can easily brush your arm over the locking button is a *****!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A decent locksmith can make a Valet Key to get into your vehicle
Just like a slug or blank that they would use to get into your house
I locked my FOB in my last truck while out-of-state. Contacted AAA and they sent me a locksmith that made a valet key on the spot.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 059502 miles.

RedRam55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I can't lock my doors if the fob is inside......2017. Was it different in 2015?

Herckules35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Amazon has blank key fobs for pretty cheap.
Go to your local dealership and you can get them programmed for less than 100$.