2015 1500 max tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xViViDx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before coming at me, I understand the majority will say get a 2500. That is not within the budget unfortunately and there's no need for hateful comments.
My family will be living full time in a travel trailer very soon as our home is being built. We need something big enough for my wife and I and our 2 kids (8 and 3). Her father passed away and left us a 2015 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi, 8 spd, heavy duty suspension package, heavy duty trans and engine cooler, next gen engine controller, rear extra HD shocks, anti-spin rear dif and 3.92 gears. We have done extensive walkthroughs and have come to the conclusion we need a bigger TT. The one we need, comes in at a dry weight of 9,420lbs with a length of 38' 10" (YES I KNOW ITS LOOOONG). I was Motor T and used to pull massive equipment in the Marine Corps and in extreme environments while on deployments, so I am used to pulling heavy weight and I understand the concern for safety (which is why Im not too good to ask fellow drivers their opinion).
Factory specs of my truck have a max tow cap of 10,150 with a payload of 1530. I will NOT be driving it with any added weight nor with any passengers or gear. I plan to pull it from the dealership and drive it to a campground where it will sit for approx a year until our home is built, then I will drive it approx 30 miles to our home. I have recently upgraded the brakes with the best rotors and pads the parts store sell, I have a weight distribution hitch, and Bilstein 5100 series shocks and Air Lift 2000 series air bags are on the way, as well as better tires. It will be emptied each time before travel so it stays as light as possible and will likely only move 2 or 3 times while in my possession.
Ive never owned a Dodge and I feel like I got lucky with getting this package because Ive yet to see another with all of these options. I will not be driving the speed limit, I will drive according to RPM's and feel. I want to know other Ram owners thoughts on whether its doable or not. Safety is my number 1 priority and although it is as long as a football field, it still seems to be within specs of the trucks capacity.
Again, I may only pull the thing for a total of 80 miles over the course of 2-3 trips. Im NOT buying a bigger truck for that reason alone. I ask because if its not doable, Ill have to rent a 3/4 ton...and Id rather not have to do that. Any and all opinions welcome, except for you hateful dudes who have nothing better to do than be rude.
Thanks in advance.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Can you just hire someone to deliver it for you? That camper is definitely beyond a 1500’s capacity.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Her father passed away and left us a 2015 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi, 8 spd, heavy duty suspension package, heavy duty trans and engine cooler, next gen engine controller, rear extra HD shocks, anti-spin rear dif and 3.92 gears.

Welcome to the forum, and condolences on the loss of your father in law. Just out of curiosity, what does the heavy duty suspension package entail? I don't remember hearing about that on the 4th gens but I am curious if they actually beefed up anything (as in actually gaining significant additional payload/towing rating) or if it was just a couple minor upgrades?

Either way, I have to agree with firebird in that it does seem like way too much trailer for a half ton. Admittedly I'm not a towing expert and I'm sure some more people will give their input.

I see you posted some towing/payload numbers, was that information specific to your truck or something from some literature? This website will give you exact towing/payload for your truck by vin if you didn't already look it up here:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 16 bighorn is rated to tow 10500 pounds as is. My thoughts are brakes will be the weakest point so dive accordingly. Are the tires up to this? Easily corrected if they are not. I wouldn’t move the trailer on a windy day.

Simper Fi !

OP
OP
X

xViViDx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum, and condolences on the loss of your father in law. Just out of curiosity, what does the heavy duty suspension package entail? I don't remember hearing about that on the 4th gens but I am curious if they actually beefed up anything (as in actually gaining significant additional payload/towing rating) or if it was just a couple minor upgrades?

Either way, I have to agree with firebird in that it does seem like way too much trailer for a half ton. Admittedly I'm not a towing expert and I'm sure some more people will give their input.

I see you posted some towing/payload numbers, was that information specific to your truck or something from some literature? This website will give you exact towing/payload for your truck by vin if you didn't already look it up here:

I agree that it is more than what it SHOULD pull, I was really only wondering if it COULD pull it..since I'd only be making a few short trips with it. I have the build sheet that came with the truck, VIN matches. I ran it online and found this chart which matches up to said build sheet. It's the crew cab 4x4 with the 5'7'' bed. You can see why one could assume that it was bought with the intentions of towing.

According to the build sheet it lists these options (including but not limited to):

Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
Front and Rear stabilizer bar
Trailer Tow Group
8Spd 8HP70 Transmission
Anti-Spin Rear Differential
3.92 Axle Ratio
Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors
Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
Next Generation Engine Controller
Rear Extra HD Shock Absorbers
Trailer Brake Control
Raised Ride Height

Attachments

• 1500 towing specs.PNG
    1500 towing specs.PNG
    132 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
X

xViViDx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you just hire someone to deliver it for you? That camper is definitely beyond a 1500’s capacity.
After posting this, my significant other thought it'd be a good idea to look at destination trailers. I told her at that weight, we'd for sure have to borrow or rent a truck...and it seems were leaning that way now. Typical woman always changing her mind. Even after I upgraded the brakes and ordered shocks and air bags. Oh well, trucks gonna be set up nicely I guess. Now it gives me a reason to level it out and make her look pretty. Shes still only got 60k miles on her. I will be buying another Dodge after owning this one. It sold me...and Ive always been a chevy guy.

OP
OP
X

xViViDx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 16 bighorn is rated to tow 10500 pounds as is. My thoughts are brakes will be the weakest point so dive accordingly. Are the tires up to this? Easily corrected if they are not. I wouldn’t move the trailer on a windy day.

Simper Fi !
Rah!

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Too much trailer for that truck in my opinion. Aside from the legal aspects that is alot of weight for a 5.7, alot of trailer (38') for a 1500, and alot of weight on that rear axle. I'm pretty sure you will be over GRAWR. You can check that by looking at the black sticker in the drivers door jamb. I think a typical 1500 has a limit of about 3900lbs GRAWR. Going over that can lead to axle failure, pre-mature bearing wear, and probably a few other things as well. What is the load rating on your tires? If you have 4500lbs on the rear axle then that is 2250lbs on each rear tire. My step-son has a 2020 Tundra with a 2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH. It weighed 9300lbs when I towed it home from the dealer. He towed it from his house to his campground and weighed it. With 1100lbs tongue weight he had 4260lbs on his rear axle.
I agree with the above post, see if you can borrow a bigger truck or pay someone to tow it.
Tundra with 3250BH:
Tundra_with_3250BH.jpg

OP
OP
X

xViViDx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hook it up and take it cautiously. It’ll tow it no problem.
I will if we end up going with one under 9500 lbs. She started looking at 12k lb destination trailers so if thats what she wants, Im gonna have to find somebody to let me use their dually or ill bite the big one and rent one from enterprise...really dont like that idea. may be the testosterone in me, but theres something not quite right with a grown man having to rent a 1 ton truck. Id rather own one, but I cant justify it knowing ill only pull the trailer a few times.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I will if we end up going with one under 9500 lbs. She started looking at 12k lb destination trailers so if thats what she wants, Im gonna have to find somebody to let me use their dually or ill bite the big one and rent one from enterprise...really dont like that idea. may be the testosterone in me, but theres something not quite right with a grown man having to rent a 1 ton truck. Id rather own one, but I cant justify it knowing ill only pull the trailer a few times.
I'm no expert in towing, not with little trucks anyway.

I would just rent a bigger truck for the day if you are not sure.

Otherwise, based on what you wrote. I think you will be fine, if you drive carefully.
The length would be an issue. But you aren't going far.

I have 2021 Rebel and I've towed almost 11K Pounds with it. Max is 11400.
Not only was it legal, was safe and within my truck limits.
My truck had no issues. I used Curt WDH rated at 15k.

Payload was well within the limits, simply by moving some stuff near trailer center and back of the trailer.

My max towing is higher than yours, but payload is lower. 11400 and 1450
My truck has trailer brake and factory air.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's no shame in needing to rent the right truck to get the job done, especially if you don't have a need for one on a regular basis. It's no different than renting a U-HAUL box truck to move.
As for for that first trailer behind your 1500, it will be a handful and like mentioned take your time along with dial in the WDH.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
If you are buying from an rv dealer, I think the ones in my area will deliver to the buyer's location. if not, a dealer may have a list of professionals that deliver or haul trailers. my neighbor had his new 5th wheel delivered and I talked to the guy that brought it and he is a subcontractor that picks up and delivers trailers for some of the rv sellers around the area. If you hired someone like that it may eliminate the potential of problems/damage that you not being in the business might face while doing it yourself.

DaGoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the exact same set-up you do. If you go to the Ram Towing Capacity by VIN website it will tell you the EXACT towing capacity for your individual truck. My towing capacity is over 13,000lbs so I would think yours would be similar. I'm currently towing a 37' long camper with a dry weight of 7500lbs. It handles it with no problem.

oldguy2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't see if you said how far and in what type of terrain you would have to pull the trailer. I have a 2017 Tradesman with 5.7, 8 speed and 3.21 rear. I pull a trailer weighing about 7500# plus having 2 large people in the cab and a bed full of stuff for staying a week. I know the trailer weighs less than yours but with everything else the weight has to be close. The truck has nothing added other than a weight distribution hitch and sway control. I tow through the White Mountains on a major highway and smaller roads with no problem what so ever. Unless you are towing a very long distance or over bad terrain I really don't see you having a problem. Like was said earlier don't tow in very windy weather. That's only common sense though because the trailer will not like the wind. Even with a larger truck you are going to feel the wind blowing the trailer around. My grandson uses an F350 diesel to tow and even his truck is effected by the wind. Good luck no matter you decide.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed

xViViDx a little late but my condolences for you and your families loss.​

You have solid advice and I'm sure you've determined not to tow a 38' long TT with a 1/2 ton. The posts that say "yeah no problem" crack me up. That's malarky! If you do have to go that route get a Propride or Hensley weight distribution hitch. They are crazy expensive ($3500) but truly take the sway out of the trailer which is your biggest enemy.​