2015 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scooby1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello
I am hoping someone can point me in right direction. To make this long story short my truck stated loping at a idle. The code showed throttle body is bad, after replacing it started it up again same thing and replaced a 2nd throttle body, started it up now it showed the codes for the pcm, replaced it, started it up same issues, took it to a dealership hoping their computer would go in greater detail. After replacing a 3rd throttle body, EGR, cam position sensor. I have still have the same issues. I borrowed a buddies code reader now it shows a P2172. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the heck is going on. My truck has 93000 miles and I baby the thing. Has anyone had any issues like this? Thanks

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first comment........the codes are not saying "this part is bad and you need to replace it". It is saying that there is some signal going to or coming from that part or sensor that is out of spec. For example, if you cut the wire going to the left front ABS wheel speed sensor you will get a code that within the description that says "left front wheel speed sensor". Obviously the wheel speed sensor itself isn't bad but the signal to and from is bad. However there are a lot of people that will automatically throw a new wheel speed sensor on it and then find out it wasn't the problem. While just because a part is new doesn't mean it is good, though the chances of getting multiple bad parts is pretty rare, point being you replace the throttle body 3 times.
To be perfectly blunt, this is a perfect example of what a lot of good mechanics will call "firing the parts cannon" at a truck. Which is blindly buying a bunch of parts and throwing them at a vehicle and hoping you get lucky. I'm talking this way just as an effort to keep other people from doing this.
A dealership scan tool (computer) really doesn't give any more details. It will still show the same codes with the same descriptions. Higher dollar scan tools often have more functionality and let you perform some tests on components, but in regards to just scanning the codes and telling you what they are they don't offer more "detail" or tell you what is wrong.
If you keep getting different codes it's probably not because new issues are popping up, it's most likely all related issues. Multiple codes for different areas of the vehicles that occur at the same time, or about the same time, are probably related. If you look at a wiring schematic you will often see how those parts are related. For example they may all receive power from the same circuit, so if that power wire is partially broken you will get sporadic codes to each of those different sensors.
After that preaching session, let us know what the exact codes are you have had. The only one mentioned is the P2172 which is the throttle actuator control system, which is a sensor. Again, the codes is not saying that the sensor is bad but rather it has detected an out of spec high volume of air going into the engine. Not guaranteed, but this code is often caused by a vacuum leak. If you do have a vacuum leak I can see it setting codes related to the throttle body and the running condition.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wow you really unloaded the parts canon and still at sqare one

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
wow you really unloaded the parts canon and still at sqare one
Do any of your posts ever actually offer help or do you just come on here to flame people? I mean really... I've been on the receiving end of your BS several times and watch you hand it out to others pretty much daily.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The P2172 OBD-II trouble code is one of number of possible codes that indicates that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected a malfunction in the operation of the Throttle Actuator Control System.

Code P2172 is set by the PCM when sudden high air flow is detected in the throttle actuator control system. This code can be related to a Throttle Actuator Control System malfunction, but it is possible that another issue is setting this code. The Throttle Actuator Control System is duty cycle controlled by the PCM and the function of the system is limited when other fault codes are detected

Potential causes of the P2172 throttle engine code may include: Vacuum Leaks (most likely)
Manifold Absolute Pressure Malfunction
Abnormal System Voltages

Common Mistake :
Replacing the Throttle Control Actuator or PCM when other malfunctions are setting this code.

Rare Repair :
Replace Throttle Actuator Control

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2172
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Good Luck

OP
OP
S

scooby1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My first comment........the codes are not saying "this part is bad and you need to replace it". It is saying that there is some signal going to or coming from that part or sensor that is out of spec. For example, if you cut the wire going to the left front ABS wheel speed sensor you will get a code that within the description that says "left front wheel speed sensor". Obviously the wheel speed sensor itself isn't bad but the signal to and from is bad. However there are a lot of people that will automatically throw a new wheel speed sensor on it and then find out it wasn't the problem. While just because a part is new doesn't mean it is good, though the chances of getting multiple bad parts is pretty rare, point being you replace the throttle body 3 times.
To be perfectly blunt, this is a perfect example of what a lot of good mechanics will call "firing the parts cannon" at a truck. Which is blindly buying a bunch of parts and throwing them at a vehicle and hoping you get lucky. I'm talking this way just as an effort to keep other people from doing this.
A dealership scan tool (computer) really doesn't give any more details. It will still show the same codes with the same descriptions. Higher dollar scan tools often have more functionality and let you perform some tests on components, but in regards to just scanning the codes and telling you what they are they don't offer more "detail" or tell you what is wrong.
If you keep getting different codes it's probably not because new issues are popping up, it's most likely all related issues. Multiple codes for different areas of the vehicles that occur at the same time, or about the same time, are probably related. If you look at a wiring schematic you will often see how those parts are related. For example they may all receive power from the same circuit, so if that power wire is partially broken you will get sporadic codes to each of those different sensors.
After that preaching session, let us know what the exact codes are you have had. The only one mentioned is the P2172 which is the throttle actuator control system, which is a sensor. Again, the codes is not saying that the sensor is bad but rather it has detected an out of spec high volume of air going into the engine. Not guaranteed, but this code is often caused by a vacuum leak. If you do have a vacuum leak I can see it setting codes related to the throttle body and the running condition.

OP
OP
S

scooby1011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Checked for leaks with a smoke machine. Didn't find anything.