2015 2500 will not take fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had an evap code for a small leak appear a week or so ago, and now a “Check Gas Cap” light on the dash. Went to fill up tonight and fuel would not go in like it should. Would take about 1/3 gal or less and the pump clicked off. Thought it was the pump, so tried another one. Even tried 2 other stations with no luck. Wondering if the codes have anything to do with this issue, and if so, any insight as to what’s happening here? I need this thing back on the road and I am 50 miles from a dealer, so taking it in is not ideal. Any ideas?

Jughed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Long Bed
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is a known issue, and I have no idea why it happens.

My truck will not take fuel intermittently - have to fill it slowly. But the majority of times, at the same stations, it fills just fine.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Has any work been do to your truck near that area? If not you might has a stuck roll over valve or a pinched fuel filler tube. The tube is easy to check, just craw under the truck near the fuel filler door and follow the tube to the fuel cell and see if the tube has become pinched. To replace the roll over valve you need to drop the tank.

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
OPPS ,Sorry I just reread your issue. I would almost say you have a clogged charcoal box. Have you been topping the fuel cell off a lot since you purchased the veh? Topping off the fuel cell is no good as it forced fuel into the charcoal box and causes it to fill up and this can also cause your evap issue and hard to fill. To check this out you will have to again crawl under the veh near the fuel cell and look for the box. You can tell if is is full by trying to move the box. If it feels heavy it is full. It is also call the vapor canister.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Your text could have come from my mind

I have read a bit about the filling issue
I am sure others have studied it more than I

A curved gas pump nozzle is more likely to shut off quicker than a straighter nozzle

a pinched vent tube will not allow air to escape out of the tank, an example would be to take a empty 1 liter bottle, hold it under a faucet, then turn the water on with force, aiming to get every drop of water into the jug, air will not be able to escape, so the water can't get into the bottle at some point. If a straw was held above the water in the neck, the water would be able to fill to the top quickly

There are 2 check valves in the tank, one of them is a Roll Over Valve, if you over fill your gas tank, excess gas can go to the Charcoal Cannister & the charcoal breaks down over a period of time
At the same time the roll over valve senses pressure, as if the vehicle was upside down, the valve is triggered & i don't know how, but i believe that somehow cuts off the flow into the tank or at least chokes the flow down

2007-03-11_143523_dod1.gif

fuel-delivery-components-gif.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
FlatbedHemi

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did some research and found the "topping off" issue in several threads. I am guilty of topping off, mostly just to get an even dollar amount, so its usually not that much, but I guess its enough over the scan of 100K miles. Ended up taking everything from the charcoal canister to the tank off. Even dropped the tank to check everything. I took all of the evap hoses off and flushed with air. Took the vent tube off and flushed with air. Even took the charcoal canisters off and let them air out (smelled like gas) then flushed with compressed air until the gas smell was gone. Put it all back together and prayed as I drove to the gas station. Took gas as fast as the pump could pump it (same station that I tried the night before). Trucks been running fine, and the gas cap light hasnt come back, so maybe it was just a clogged charcoal filter. I dont drive much since I have moved and only have a 2 mile daily commute, so I havent gotten to see if the problem is totally fixed or not. Time will tell.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
mine was the vent tube just got to it laying on the ground and reaching up inside the fender,kind of gave it a twist and bend was gone

Wallyb4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Outstanding !!!!!!!! Glad that helped. I use to work at a Stealership for Dodge. We saw that a lot and I learned very quickly never to top off again.