2015 3.6L ST--What does the ECO mean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4WD
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I picked up a new Silver 2015 3.6L ST Quad 4WD today and I love it!

While driving it home I noticed an "ECO" indication at the top of the EVIC go on and off depending on whether I was accelerating or not--it would display ECO when cruising at a steady rate in a high gear and disappear when accelerating.

I know that the hemis have an eco mode that they go into where a couple cylinders are disabled for fuel economy, but I didn't think the 3.6L did the same. What exactly does ECO mean in the V6? I searched the owners manual and found no mention of the ECO indication.

Thanks in advance! --Rob

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the Hemi, ECO will include activation of MDS. However it also includes other fuel saving technologies. Pulse-width modulated motors used for the fuel pump and engine cooling fan, and active shutters behind the grill among them. The V6 equipped trucks likely incorporate some of this same tech. The light switching on indicates you are driving in the most economic mode and some of the fuel saving tech is active (shutters closed, etc.).

OP
OP
rowemesp

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4WD
Engine
5.7L Hemi
On the Hemi, ECO will include activation of MDS. However it also includes other fuel saving technologies. Pulse-width modulated motors used for the fuel pump and engine cooling fan, and active shutters behind the grill among them. The V6 equipped trucks likely incorporate some of this same tech. The light switching on indicates you are driving in the most economic mode and some of the fuel saving tech is active (shutters closed, etc.).

That makes perfect sense--thanks for the quick reply! The owners manual should really talk about that a little more as it's very noticeable--I'm sure it generates a lot of questions. --Rob

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
ECO mode just means you are driving in parameters that the engine software programmers consider "economical".

As for the HEMI's and MDS, ECO mode does not necessarily mean MDS is activated. But for MDS to activate, you must be driving in ECO mode. In short, ECO mode is not dependent on MDS but MDS activation is dependent on ECO mode.

Last edited:

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have basically the same truck. Never saw the indicator in 24000kms. I do drive on the conservative side.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Eco indicator can be turned off and on through settings in the radio. Mine is turned off. I drive conservatively so it's still used just not indicated by the Eco light.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Eco indicator can be turned off and on through settings in the radio. Mine is turned off. I drive conservatively so it's still used just not indicated by the Eco light.

That's what I figured. I never have seen mine pop up.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ECO mode just means you are driving in parameters that the engine software programmers consider "economical".

As the HEMI's and MDS, ECO mode does not necessarily mean MDS is activated. But for MDS to activate, you must be driving in ECO mode. In short, ECO mode is not dependent on MDS but MDS activation is dependent on ECO mode.

You are close but not quite there. MDS is oil pressure dependent and on a level surface at moderate speeds, I can get my MDS to activate without the ECO light coming on my truck for a few seconds. Consequently, I can have all 8 cylinders firing with the ECO light on. So you are right when you say ECO does not mean that MDS is active but I know they are completely independent of each other. The ECO light is there to tell you when the computer thinks you are driving the most economical and not an actual indicator of things happening under the hood.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
After I swapped to the 7" premium cluster I never saw the ECO light again. Does it not exist on the premium clusters?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After I swapped to the 7" premium cluster I never saw the ECO light again. Does it not exist on the premium clusters?

I have the 7" EVIC in the cluster, the ECO light is on the bottom, left of center. The ECO light is enabled/disabled through the Uconnect system.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll check that, thanks. I also swapped the 5.0 to 8.4AN so maybe that's the problem.

30below

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
SOOO,is there a way to tell when MDS is activated?

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

As for the HEMI's and MDS, ECO mode does not necessarily mean MDS is activated. But for MDS to activate, you must be driving in ECO mode. In short, ECO mode is not dependent on MDS but MDS activation is dependent on ECO mode.

I have the 6.4 with true dual Flowmaster original 40's dumped in front of the rear axle and every time it kicks into 4 cylinders, the ECO light is on and goes out when it kicks back into 8. With duals, you can tell every time it's in 4 cylinders and the light corresponds with it every time.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 6.4 with true dual Flowmaster original 40's dumped in front of the rear axle and every time it kicks into 4 cylinders, the ECO light is on and goes out when it kicks back into 8. With duals, you can tell every time it's in 4 cylinders and the light corresponds with it every time.

That may be so but what Hootbro said is 100% accurate.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Funny thing is "ECO" is just the indicator displayed but the system is FCA's "Fuel Saver Technology" that MDS is just one part of.

I would not necessarily discount anybody that make the correlation that "ECO" means MDS activation, as the technical details are splitting hairs that 98% of people do not care about.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm just saying there is no delay between mds and the light coming on with my truck. Couldn't really tell until I got the dual exhaust, but they happen simultaneously since I can now hear the change in the exhaust note at the same time the light comes on and goes off.

Crazyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I was gonna ask the same question. I have a 2017 3.6. I know what it means on a He I, I have one of those two, but didn't know on a 3.6. Thanks for the answers guys.

justintaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have a 2014 3.6l and i have yet to see the eco mode.. maybe its not on my truck model? i didnt see it in the settings either. i wonder if it was a 2015+ option..