2015 3500 Cummins check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danielchapman8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I recently bought the truck used with one previous owner, as soon as I drove it off the lot, the check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer and they said they replaced the def fluid injector. The light was off but 6 days later, it came back on. Took it back the second time and they replaced the scr. 6 days passed and the light came on again...going back to the dealer on Tuesday. The truck has 55000 miles and is still under factory warranty. Has anybody had a similar issue with their truck or know what’s going on?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Without knowing what codes it's throwing it's hard to tell. Did they say which codes it was?
Sounds like they are chasing emissions problems. While not that common it does happen. Sounds like the previous owner may have dumped a problem truck though. You couldn't have been so unlucky that those codes just appeared now, they had to have been an issue when he traded it.

OP
OP
D

Danielchapman8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Without knowing what codes it's throwing it's hard to tell. Did they say which codes it was?
Sounds like they are chasing emissions problems. While not that common it does happen. Sounds like the previous owner may have dumped a problem truck though. You couldn't have been so unlucky that those codes just appeared now, they had to have been an issue when he traded it.

They did not say which codes they were getting. If it is a emissions issue or a problem truck, is it something that can be perminately fixed? or could the dealer just be leading me around until the warranty expires? Thank you for replying

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They did not say which codes they were getting. If it is a emissions issue or a problem truck, is it something that can be perminately fixed? or could the dealer just be leading me around until the warranty expires? Thank you for replying

Anything can be fixed, it's more a question whether this dealer is willing to stand behind it. The basic warranty is over on that truck (3yrs/36k). You have a 80K emissions and 100K powertrain left if they are honoring the factory warranty?

At this point, If it was me I would be playing hard ball with them. That's unacceptable that you drove it off the lot and got a light right away. That had to have been there before. I would start asking about a refund and see what they do?

Good luck!

OP
OP
D

Danielchapman8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anything can be fixed, it's more a question whether this dealer is willing to stand behind it. The basic warranty is over on that truck (3yrs/36k). You have a 80K emissions and 100K powertrain left if they are honoring the factory warranty?

At this point, If it was me I would be playing hard ball with them. That's unacceptable that you drove it off the lot and got a light right away. That had to have been there before. I would start asking about a refund and see what they do?

Good luck!

They are honoring the warranty, so far they haven’t given me any issues, they’ve taken the truck in with no issues. Guess I’ll see what they say this next time. If it continues, I may ask for a refund. Thank you so much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye