2015 Crew Cab - New Setup - Focal & JL Audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Short and sweet; here are the specs:
- PAC Amp Pro
- Toslink adapter and cable
- JL Audio TWK D88
- 3 x JL RD 400/4
- 1 x JL RD 1500/1
- 2 x JL 12w6 v3
- Fox Acoustics dual vented box
- Focal K2 ES 165 KX3 3 way front stage
- Focal K2 EC 165 K 2 way coax rears
- sound dampened doors

I’m coming from a single 12w6 in a net Audio sealed, JL C2 3.5” fronts and 6x9s in all 4 doors....untuned. While that was a superior system to the stock alpine setup, this new layout is a step above to say the least.

I’m very impressed. My tuner did 2 custom tunes on the TWK. One tune is optimized for the driver and the other is a “whole vehicle” focused tune which brings the rears much more into play. The only reason I went so beefy on the rears was to have decent sound for the kids When they are back there. We summed the channels in mono for the rear 2 speakers to make the TWK work with just 8 channels. Both tunes flat out perform and I’m very happy with this upgrade.

Any questions just let me know!

4F0871E6-2E57-4FAC-9072-5BCC4A22D49D.jpeg

2E44985B-E4BC-4C20-A8E0-6E907D6F7ECA.jpeg

C82A3452-73C5-48CA-AFDD-2921F8BD284D.jpeg

A87CB5FB-03BC-4226-A196-D3301F6EF78E.jpeg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Looks good!

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looks good! Nice and neat on the install. What type of headunit are you running with all this? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good! Nice and neat on the install. What type of headunit are you running with all this? Sorry if I missed it somewhere.

It’s still the factory Alpine 8.4 setup. It’s very unlikely I’ll be making any additional changes, especially to the head unit. You’ll likely see me in a 2021 rebel before this truck ever sees another stereo upgrade lol

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Guess I just wandered into an off limits area here. Seems like I just read 3 or 4 pages of secret code language and then saw some pictures of a space ship!
Boomer going home now.....

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
- PAC Amp Pro
- JL Audio TWK D88
- 3 x JL RD 400/4
- 1 x JL RD 1500/1
- 2 x JL 12w6 v3
- sound dampened doors

I’m coming from a single 12w6 in a net Audio sealed, JL C2 3.5” fronts and 6x9s in all 4 doors....untuned. While that was a superior system to the stock alpine setup, this new layout is a step above to say the least.

I’m very impressed. My tuner did 2 custom tunes on the TWK. One tune is optimized for the driver and the other is a “whole vehicle” focused tune which brings the rears much more into play. The only reason I went so beefy on the rears was to have decent sound for the kids When they are back there. We summed the channels in mono for the rear 2 speakers to make the TWK work with just 8 channels. Both tunes flat out perform and I’m very happy with this upgrade.

View attachment 196132

View attachment 196133

View attachment 196134

View attachment 196135

How does this sound??? Is there enough space to get low?? Is this the ported 12 box or sealed?

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does this sound??? Is there enough space to get low?? Is this the ported 12 box or sealed?

I think the entire system sounds great. Specifically relating to the 12” subwoofers, these are in the vented (ported) version of the fox box. This setup goes every bit as low as the previous single 12” sealed (12w6 in net audio tall box) but with more ease and authority. I guess it depends how low you want to go. We’ve got the DSP to cut frequency at 20hz but I don’t think this box could handle that low since it’s a pre-fab ported. Generally speaking, id wager a strong bet that dual 12w6 in a net audio sealed box would dig a little lower than this setup, but I’m not a scientist nor am I going to conduct the testing lol.

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the entire system sounds great. Specifically relating to the 12” subwoofers, these are in the vented (ported) version of the fox box. This setup goes every bit as low as the previous single 12” sealed (12w6 in net audio tall box) but with more ease and authority. I guess it depends how low you want to go. We’ve got the DSP to cut frequency at 20hz but I don’t think this box could handle that low since it’s a pre-fab ported. Generally speaking, id wager a strong bet that dual 12w6 in a net audio sealed box would dig a little lower than this setup, but I’m not a scientist nor am I going to conduct the testing lol.

You don't happen to be near Phoenix do you? Lol I need to hear something like this in person. I have a 12w3 in a sealed foxbox - and while it does sound good, I lose a lot of output when it's under the seat... and it does not get low - at all.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't happen to be near Phoenix do you? Lol I need to hear something like this in person. I have a 12w3 in a sealed foxbox - and while it does sound good, I lose a lot of output when it's under the seat... and it does not get low - at all.

Ahh yes, real close. Phoenix Saskatchewan!! We take your temperature and turn that number into a negative. We take your sand and turn it into snow.

Perhaps someone closer to you has something similar that may chime in.

I was actually really close to using 2 12w3 in this fox box since I found way more reviews on that setup vs using w6s. I was already half way there with one w6 so I just went for it. I’m glad I did. Sounds super clean and tight. I say just order a fox box and another w3. Kaboom!

AngryRams

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ahh yes, real close. Phoenix Saskatchewan!! We take your temperature and turn that number into a negative. We take your sand and turn it into snow.

Perhaps someone closer to you has something similar that may chime in.

I was actually really close to using 2 12w3 in this fox box since I found way more reviews on that setup vs using w6s. I was already half way there with one w6 so I just went for it. I’m glad I did. Sounds super clean and tight. I say just order a fox box and another w3. Kaboom!

the W6 get wayyyyy deeper.

IxsharpxI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you mounts the amps to the black wall? plastic? mdf? glue?

jackal98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi. 5.7
A lot of people use extra strength Velcro on the back of amps.
I used a pegboard from Home Deport & zip tied the apps & wires neatly.
The last step was to zip tie the pegboard to the black wall.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The amp rack is wood that has been attached to the back wall using an adhesive. The wood has been carpeted and then the amps were screwed in place.

Nathan Davies

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
- PAC Amp Pro
- JL Audio TWK D88
- 3 x JL RD 400/4
- 1 x JL RD 1500/1
- 2 x JL 12w6 v3
- sound dampened doors

View attachment 196132

View attachment 196133

View attachment 196134

View attachment 196135

Saskwatch .

Would.love to pick your brain on your set up.

Almost the same set up.

Jl audio stealth box single 10w3
400/1 amp (2)
600/1 xd amp for sub
Twk 88
Pac audio pro

My question for you mainly would be how the setup between the pac pro and the twk88 are .

I will be installing soon. Just want to make sure it's done properly

ALSO where did you get your toslink and cable from ?

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saskwatch .

Would.love to pick your brain on your set up.

Almost the same set up.

Jl audio stealth box single 10w3
400/1 amp (2)
600/1 xd amp for sub
Twk 88
Pac audio pro

My question for you mainly would be how the setup between the pac pro and the twk88 are .

I will be installing soon. Just want to make sure it's done properly

ALSO where did you get your toslink and cable from ?

I personally never “setup” the link between the amp pro and TWKD88, but essentially it’s just the toslink (optical cable) output / input. One cable.

I had my local audio shop order in the parts for the toslink setup as they had no issues sourcing them for me.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had some questions about electrical upgrades, or lack there of on this setup.

This system is ran 100% on the stock electrical right down to the battery.

The RD 1500/1 has its own 0 gauge amp kit and the three (3) RD 400/4 are ran from a 4 gauge kit with a distribution block.

OP
OP
Saskwatch

Saskwatch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Small sound clip. I can do more if anyone has a certain song they want on demo.

jackal98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi. 5.7
Side note: my windshield has a similar crack in the same location as your windshield

cam101

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a very nice set up. I know it sounds awesome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk