2015 Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a knocking in the front of my truck. Turns out a piston ring broke and scored the wall. Looking at around $16,000 CAD to put a new engine in it

The truck had less than 100,000Kms. The work would be done by the dealership. I'm guessing it comes with a warranty but still makes me nervous investing that sort of money into a 2015 vehicle.

The truck was babied. Would a lift and larger tires contribute to the engine failure or moreso transmission issues. I had $10,000 of work done last year but was mostly "90%" covered under a third party warranty and some of that was transmission related.

Was hoping to drive this thing into the ground and get a sports car for the Summer but might need a new truck now

I m contemplating getting the engine fixed and selling it - maybe just selling as-is too not sure what a dealer would give me

Can much additional harm come from it if I keep driving? Needs a new engine so can't get much worse. Runs fine minus the knocking haha

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First don't go to a dealer for work your going to pay 100x more find a good local shop kind of odd that a ring would break I would have Someone else look at it and confirm. Also have you looked up low mileage used engines from a junk yard?

Also any chance you could upload a vid of the knocking?

Last edited:

AK907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Avoid the Dealer. My truck has been sitting at the Dodge dealer with the piston slap and scored cylinder walls now going on 4 months. New engine was ordered July 15, 2022. Find a reputable mechanic in your area.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please don't have the Stealership do the work at 100% markup, Maybe the cylinder can be fixed by a reputable shop, for sure don't drive it like that!!!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
All right, thanks for the replies. The main thing I'm taking from here is not to mess with the dealership ;)
Not all dealerships are bad, or over charge. But get couple quotes.
Bringing it to shop you don't know is just as bad or worse.

Doubt anyone could tell you full story until they started taking it apart, could end up costing more.

As you mentioned, see what they would give you as trade for another or new. Work the numbers and down time.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For price shopping a new 6.4 Hemi online is around $8500 + shipping. Labor to install? Sure, the dealer will be more but the bulk of the cost is the engine for sure.

I can't imagine you'll hurt anything by driving it but it sounds pretty bad already. I can't imagine it running for too long.

As these trucks age it sure seems there are some big ticket items coming up. My truck currently sits in the dealership having the engine replaced (under warranty thankfully) at 120K miles and I've had two tranny failures and am on my third. I've spent long periods of time with Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Ford and now Ram vehicles and this is the first time I've ever had such problems. Can't tell if it's a Ram thing or a newer vehicle thing. My family truckster Honda Odyssey is 7 years older than my Ram with roughly the same mileage. I've literally only done brakes and batteries and that thing just keeps going at 15 years old. I definitely couldn't imagine owning my Ram without a warranty.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does this truck have the 6 or 8 spd trans?

In terms of an engine, like said, I wouldn't do it through a dealer. It will be 2x the cost of most other shops.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I had a knocking in the front of my truck. Turns out a piston ring broke and scored the wall. Looking at around $16,000 CAD to put a new engine in it
Who did the diagnosis and how have they evidenced the wall is shot to hell? How much compression are you actually losing? Was it compression or oil pickup? Looking at THAT much coin, I’d replace the ring and test compression to see if I could squeeze more life out of the engine. Easy for me to say since I would do the work myself tho.

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For price shopping a new 6.4 Hemi online is around $8500 + shipping. Labor to install? Sure, the dealer will be more but the bulk of the cost is the engine for sure.

I can't imagine you'll hurt anything by driving it but it sounds pretty bad already. I can't imagine it running for too long.

As these trucks age it sure seems there are some big ticket items coming up. My truck currently sits in the dealership having the engine replaced (under warranty thankfully) at 120K miles and I've had two tranny failures and am on my third. I've spent long periods of time with Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Ford and now Ram vehicles and this is the first time I've ever had such problems. Can't tell if it's a Ram thing or a newer vehicle thing. My family truckster Honda Odyssey is 7 years older than my Ram with roughly the same mileage. I've literally only done brakes and batteries and that thing just keeps going at 15 years old. I definitely couldn't imagine owning my Ram without a warranty.

They quoted me $12,000 CAD for the engine and $4000 for the labor. Yeah I wasn't expecting to replace my engine under 100,000kms especially on a vehicle I didn't drive hard

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who did the diagnosis and how have they evidenced the wall is shot to hell? How much compression are you actually losing? Was it compression or oil pickup? Looking at THAT much coin, I’d replace the ring and test compression to see if I could squeeze more life out of the engine. Easy for me to say since I would do the work myself tho.

Dodge dealer. They said they borescoped it on the receipt and the wall was scored.

I never spoke with the mechanic. Just said I was getting a second opinion before I decided anything

I m not sure if they tested the compression or not. I can't tell anything from driving beside the knocking

I'm taking it somewhere this week to see if any other options exist

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

The truck had less than 100,000Kms. The work would be done by the dealership. I'm guessing it comes with a warranty but still makes me nervous investing that sort of money into a 2015 vehicle.

The truck was babied. Would a lift and larger tires contribute to the engine failure or moreso transmission issues. I had $10,000 of work done last year but was mostly "90%" covered under a third party warranty and some of that was transmission related.

Was hoping to drive this thing into the ground and get a sports car for the Summer but might need a new truck now

I m contemplating getting the engine fixed and selling it - maybe just selling as-is too not sure what a dealer would give me

Can much additional harm come from it if I keep driving? Needs a new engine so can't get much worse. Runs fine minus the knocking haha
Even using Canadian (or is it Canadienne) dollars, that would be the most expensive engine replacement I've ever heard of.

I would get a second opinion.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78455 miles

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Even using Canadian (or is it Canadienne) dollars, that would be the most expensive engine replacement I've ever heard of.

I would get a second opinion.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78455 miles
That's roughly $11,580.00 USD,which is on the high side,but getting anything into Canada these days sucks with duty/taxes/exchange rate etc.. And it's Canadian,not Canadienne,only 1 province in Canada where that might be apporiate,and they rate pretty low in the other 9 provinces and the terrorites opinion, :waytogo: :cheers:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's roughly $11,580.00 USD,which is on the high side,but getting anything into Canada these days sucks with duty/taxes/exchange rate etc.. And it's Canadian,not Canadienne,only 1 province in Canada where that might be apporiate,and they rate pretty low in the other 9 provinces and the terrorites opinion, :waytogo: :cheers:

Sacré Bleu

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78593 miles

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Sacré Bleu

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 78593 miles
Being as how yer a New Yorker,that's probably the only Canuck province you know.We'll forgive you :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio