2015 hemi running issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just bought my first hemi...2015 Ram 1500 5.7! Got a great deal on it!! Problem is... It starts perfectly then immediately dies! Has some crazy codes come up for random things from one end to the other! From egr flow to taillight problems or something... And it was a running driving truck with 200k miles and no CEL! As soon as I find my keys I will get the codes and post them... Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue?!? Is it a security or pcm issue? Thanks for the help!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have your battery LOAD TESTED properly,when lots of codes pop at the same time the battery is often on its way out.

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No ****?? Wouldn't that be a crazy thing... Buying an immaculate 2015 4dr hemi 1500 (not running because of listed issue) for a STEAL..... and it turn out to be a bad battery! I did put a battery charger on it because the battery was dead! But that IS when it was acting up! I will throw one on it and let you know. But either way, thanks for pointing that out... It's probably the first thing I should've checked, but... !

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Gonna look good sitting next to my ****box Cummins!

Attachments

• IMG_20220917_151039096.jpg
    IMG_20220917_151039096.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 20

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Gonna look good sitting next to my ****box Cummins!
On a photo it looks like it's missing headlights and a grill? Was it in an accident?

May I ask how much you paid for it?

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I took out headlights and stuff when I hooked it up to tow with my tow bar. Just keeping things from getting messed up! Lol. What would you think would be a good price with a supposed "blown engine" diagnosed by the previous owner ((with no mechanic skills at all!) and an old friend!!) Lol. And I'm not saying it's not blown... As I haven't had time to diagnose it other than turning the key... so far! But I have a strong feeling that it's not a blown motor issue... Anyway... I'll tell you what I paid for it, but I'm curious what someone else thinks it's worth first! Lol. 200k miles with basically spotless interior!?!?

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
With unknown issues of course... Starts up great... and then immediately dies as soon as it starts!

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sooo... Believe it or not... The battery DID fix the starting issue! But... It is burning a little oil... Other than that it sounds great! Might have to put some rings in it worst case scenario... Still got to figure out where the oil is coming from! Thanks for the lead on that!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Run some sea foam through the vac lines and a couple bottles of redline si-1 through gas tank over a couple tanks of gas, one bottle per tank. Erases carbon from combustion chamber. If you get any emissions codes after, just go on a long trip and burn it off. It is a science thing proven by boroscopes. Sea foam is only gonna work in vac lines, and PEA (redline active ingredient) is the best proven cleaner in gas. At least you will know if the rings are coroded or just blocked up with carbon. Ram forum member pic after using redline si-1, cleans right on rings first... hemi395 top of piston after reldine. Slowly melts carbon away, which is what you want.

full-76018-37988-p22.jpg

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will definitely do that! But going to make sure there's not another issue first... I'm broke! Lol. Get that figured out and then add my GT45 turbo!! Anyway, not a bad truck for 500$!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sooo... Believe it or not... The battery DID fix the starting issue! But... It is burning a little oil... Other than that it sounds great! Might have to put some rings in it worst case scenario... Still got to figure out where the oil is coming from! Thanks for the lead on that!
Thanks for letting us know what the problem was :) It helps out when people search with a similar issue
Could even be a bad PCV valve - probably original, or valve seals - most definitely original.

NICE SCORE for $500

OP
OP
B

Blasphemous1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How does the hemi hold up to boost? Was thinking of adding my gt45 turbo, but haven't heard much about a turbo hemi?!? Any troubles with them holding up ?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How does the hemi hold up to boost? Was thinking of adding my gt45 turbo, but haven't heard much about a turbo hemi?!? Any troubles with them holding up ?

The 5.7 hemi in stock form doesn't do well with boost. Rings are gapped too close together for a start.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you're broke,throwing boost at a hemi with 200,000 miles on it,and it's burning oil,might not be you're wisest move.If it's a 2015 you'll need an unlocked PCM to be able to tune it for the turbo. A healthy Hemi with re-gapped rings will handle boost,google Richard Holdner for his video's. Off the top of my head i don't know of anybody who's thrown boost at an oil burning hemi with 200k and got away with it,but there's always a first,lol.

Last edited: