2015 Laramie Longhorn HVAC dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnmwmd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 Laramie Longhorn with an HVAC unit that is DOA. It happened suddenly, and the TFT display says "Climate Off". Neither the HVAC switches nor the fan control knob works. Battery disconnected and re-connected with no change, and all fuses were checked and were good. I have also recently noticed water leaking from behind the dash onto the front passenger carpet, and when I removed the glovebox, I can see water streaks on the A/C and heater module (P/N 68268186AA). I suspect water may have intruded and caused it to short out? The HVAC module is pricy (>$500), so I want to make sure that's the problem before ordering it. Also, does the module require dealer-level programming after installation? Looks like an easy enough swap with a single connector and a couple of screws. Going to Safelite to check the windshield first, of course.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2015 Laramie Longhorn with an HVAC unit that is DOA. It happened suddenly, and the TFT display says "Climate Off". Neither the HVAC switches nor the fan control knob works. Battery disconnected and re-connected with no change, and all fuses were checked and were good. I have also recently noticed water leaking from behind the dash onto the front passenger carpet, and when I removed the glovebox, I can see water streaks on the A/C and heater module (P/N 68268186AA). I suspect water may have intruded and caused it to short out? The HVAC module is pricy (>$500), so I want to make sure that's the problem before ordering it. Also, does the module require dealer-level programming after installation? Looks like an easy enough swap with a single connector and a couple of screws. Going to Safelite to check the windshield first, of course.
HVAC module is plug and play. Passenger carpet wet is likely a clogged A/C drain located in the Engine bay on the passenger side firewall.

OP
OP
J

johnmwmd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I put a small bucket on the floor and collected a 1/2" of water after a big rainstorm a couple of days ago, so I'm pretty sure the windshield is leaking.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks! I put a small bucket on the floor and collected a 1/2" of water after a big rainstorm a couple of days ago, so I'm pretty sure the windshield is leaking.
Fair enough. The HVAC module is a common enough mod around here that several members probably have a compatible spare laying around. It wouldn't hurt to put a post in the wanted section here to see if anyone could sell it to you used.

Also, if it's leaking enough that it could have got the HVAC module, it's possible that drying it out could bring it back to life. Also check your codes to see if the computer is losing/has lost contact with the HVAC module on the CANBUS to confirm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

johnmwmd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I took the truck into SafeLite today, and the windshield gasket was fine and not leaking. They did find an area where water was accumulating under the windshield wiper cowl (blue lines in photo) and leaking into a port under an aluminum foil/insulation seal (circled in red). They were able to cover it with some self-adhesive collision wrap. I would like to do a more permanent fix, but I'm not sure what that piece of aluminum insulation material is called or what kind of adhesive to use with it. Any ideas or suggestions???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 3.09.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 3.09.00 PM.png
    488.4 KB · Views: 9

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well, I took the truck into SafeLite today, and the windshield gasket was fine and not leaking. They did find an area where water was accumulating under the windshield wiper cowl (blue lines in photo) and leaking into a port under an aluminum foil/insulation seal (circled in red). They were able to cover it with some self-adhesive collision wrap. I would like to do a more permanent fix, but I'm not sure what that piece of aluminum insulation material is called or what kind of adhesive to use with it. Any ideas or suggestions???

That foil may be a failing repair from a prior owner. I took a picture of the general area on my 2014 for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20220811_182909.jpg
    IMG_20220811_182909.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
J

johnmwmd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, the foil-type material is only visible after the plastic windshield cowl is removed, as it covers it. The photo I posted was a screen grab from a YouTube video, but it looked just like what I saw. I didn't have a camera with me when they called me in to the repair bay to look at it.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Actually, the foil-type material is only visible after the plastic windshield cowl is removed, as it covers it. The photo I posted was a screen grab from a YouTube video, but it looked just like what I saw. I didn't have a camera with me when they called me in to the repair bay to look at it.
As your were...

OP
OP
J

johnmwmd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fair enough. The HVAC module is a common enough mod around here that several members probably have a compatible spare laying around. It wouldn't hurt to put a post in the wanted section here to see if anyone could sell it to you used.

Also, if it's leaking enough that it could have got the HVAC module, it's possible that drying it out could bring it back to life. Also check your codes to see if the computer is losing/has lost contact with the HVAC module on the CANBUS to confirm.
How far should a flexible bottle brush pass into the A/C drain port? I get a hard stop at about 3”

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How far should a flexible bottle brush pass into the A/C drain port? I get a hard stop at about 3”
careful shoving something hard into the drain, it's possible to damage/puncture the evaporator coil.
You just need to clean the end of the drain.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
May i suggest that you go to a HVAC shop that is familiar with Rams

They should have a electronic machine that plugs into the OBD2 port.
They push some buttons & they can work all of the doors independently of the trucks control panel.

I would think that the Control Panel, knobs, buttons, etc. could be checked.
I watched a YouTube video where the Control Panel was replaced

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm not sure but I'd stick with @crash68 's advice. If it appears clear though, I had a problem on my 99 Ram where the A/C condensate would blow back into the cab at speed because of the drain orientation opening to the wind (at speed). You can prevent this by adding a hose "downspout" to the drain and routing it down below the cab.