2015 Ram 1500 Hemi Long Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gnram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m having troubles with my recent purchase of a 2015 ram 1500 longhorn. When I got it the truck had code P062A. The truck cold starts just fine and when it is cold it will start no problem, after I drive it and let it sit after 15-20mins it will long crank and then start (it will start up no problem after the long crank like normal but if left for another 15-20 mins it will do it again). I took out the injectors, cleaned them and put new o-rings on them still no difference.

Dealer diagnosed it as a fuel pump and covered the part under previous fuel pump replacement warranty and I had another shop put it in which cleared the codes. Even after that the truck still cold starts just fine and long cranks when warmed up and will start up just fine after the long crank until I let it sit again for the 15-20mins.

Anyone got a idea on what to do? I don’t want to pay the dealer 300$ for couple hours of diag again and no codes are coming up either anymore.

To what I could think of is the Tipn fuel pump relay that is under the fuse box but have no way of testing it unless I replace the entire fuse box since the relay is soldered onto it or made a bypass cable but no info for 2015 trucks on this.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You hate to keep firing the parts cannon at it, but I'd look into what it's not getting during these long crank sessions. Is it spark, or is it fuel. I'd be tempted to guess crank position sensor, but I'd scope all the above.

If you can't diagnose yourself, it's so hard to find someone who can and will do a good diag to actually find the problem.

Short of recommending Eric O from South Main Auto, I dunno man.

OP
OP
G

Gnram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn’t crank position sensor throw a engine code?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wouldn’t crank position sensor throw a engine code?

Sometimes things start to fail and dont throw codes just yet i would take it somewhere have someone hook it up to a good scanner and look at what it is doing when it has long cranks.

OP
OP
G

Gnram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had it hooked up to a autel scanner and dealer didn’t find any other codes for it

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had it hooked up to a autel scanner and dealer didn’t find any other codes for it

You need to look at live data when its having the issue not going to be a code.
However when you go to start it whenever it normally does it prime the fuel pump turn key on 3 times then try.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If it only does a long crank after being off for a couple hours or less. It’s most likely leaking injectors or a leaking evap purge valve.

OP
OP
G

Gnram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced the purge valve and the injector seals which would have stopped the leaks from there

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I replaced the purge valve and the injector seals which would have stopped the leaks from there

Replacing injector seals wouldn’t fix an injector that is leaking down. It would only fix a fuel leak from a bad seal. Even if you had a bad seal, a fuel leak from there wouldn’t create a long crank.

Im assuming you probably don’t have access to a leak down tester. If an injector is not holding pressure and has excessive leak down you’ll be leaking fuel into the cylinder causing a very rich mixture next time you start the engine, creating a long crank.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a reoccurring extended crank in my 2015 that would rear its ugly head every year until I figured out the issue. . I don’t drive the truck much (36k mi in 5yrs). I was using 93 octane fuel with my tune . I initially thought leaky injectors or fuel pump issue or an air leak, and had my intake manifold changed due to stripped throttle body bolts . ( wasn’t sure if maybe I cracked the manifold too).

Mine however would hesitate or have a variable extended crank after the truck would sick for some time( a day or more). The longer it sat the worse it would be . I also got a few misfire random codes as well. Once warm
It would start normally.

Long story short, i was told
To run non ethanol fuel in the engine and see how that worked. Sure enough after running it empty and filling with 91 non ethanol, the extended crank and hesitating start went away completely!

Since then, any time I run 93 ethanol fuel the symptom starts to come back . I am 100% sure this is what caused my
Extended crank. Being that my truck sits a lot as I can’t afford to drive it to work (100mi commute each day) it’s more sensitive to the fuel. It was explained to me that the ethanol in our fuels now causes moisture to build up in the tank . It then has to burn off and causes the extended crank before the moisture burns off.

Maybe it would serve as a solution for yours . At least it’s cheap to find out , can’t hurt. I’d run a good tank or two of fuel injector/system cleaner and then for ***** and giggles try some non ethanol fuel, good luck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Littlehorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bumping due to having the exact same issue. The truck starts fine cold but after a drive and sitting for 10-15 minutes it long cranks sometimes starting immediately but dies as quick. The dealer has replaced the fuel pump, EGR, and cam position sensor. Currently at the dealer I figure it's going to be the crank sensor or a leaking injector.

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Since you're in Canada, you may be seeing the same thing as me and few other Ram owners in Nova Scotia. I went in with a very similar issue and the dealer told me to not waste my time there and throw in premium gas. Apparently, they have been seeing this in multiple vehicles across the Dodge, Jeep, and Ram lines and it is the gas in the tank during the winter months.

I swapped to premium 2 weeks ago and have not had another long crank. For reference, I had only had the truck for 2 weeks and had it long crank a handful of times, in the two weeks since swapping fuel not one.

Hopefully, your issue is as simple as mine.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bumping due to having the exact same issue. The truck starts fine cold but after a drive and sitting for 10-15 minutes it long cranks sometimes starting immediately but dies as quick. The dealer has replaced the fuel pump, EGR, and cam position sensor. Currently at the dealer I figure it's going to be the crank sensor or a leaking injector.

Ouch! I wouldn't be able to afford to have them do all this and NOT fix it. Even harder to not lose my cool. Hope you get it sorted.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a reoccurring extended crank in my 2015 that would rear its ugly head every year until I figured out the issue. . I don’t drive the truck much (36k mi in 5yrs). I was using 93 octane fuel with my tune . I initially thought leaky injectors or fuel pump issue or an air leak, and had my intake manifold changed due to stripped throttle body bolts . ( wasn’t sure if maybe I cracked the manifold too).

Mine however would hesitate or have a variable extended crank after the truck would sick for some time( a day or more). The longer it sat the worse it would be . I also got a few misfire random codes as well. Once warm
It would start normally.

Long story short, i was told
To run non ethanol fuel in the engine and see how that worked. Sure enough after running it empty and filling with 91 non ethanol, the extended crank and hesitating start went away completely!

Since then, any time I run 93 ethanol fuel the symptom starts to come back . I am 100% sure this is what caused my
Extended crank. Being that my truck sits a lot as I can’t afford to drive it to work (100mi commute each day) it’s more sensitive to the fuel. It was explained to me that the ethanol in our fuels now causes moisture to build up in the tank . It then has to burn off and causes the extended crank before the moisture burns off.

Maybe it would serve as a solution for yours . At least it’s cheap to find out , can’t hurt. I’d run a good tank or two of fuel injector/system cleaner and then for ***** and giggles try some non ethanol fuel, good luck .

The big drawback to your theory here is that it would have an extended crank when cold,not just after running it and then letting it sit for a couple of hours.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with Tach_Tech.Sounds like a hot soak(leaky injectors to me).You need a leak down test and then if they're bad they can be flushed in the vehicle or you could try some over the counter injector cleaner although it usually is pretty slow process if it works at all.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The big drawback to your theory here is that it would have an extended crank when cold,not just after running it and then letting it sit for a couple of hours.

Yea probably not the same issue. But both are quite odd .

Littlehorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More than likely more than one.

It was they replaced them all. I've had the truck back for two days now and it hasn't long cranked once I believe it is fixed. Gnram I would for sure have your injectors checked hope it works out for you bud.