2015 Ram 1500 popping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamAsbury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Sometimes when I am driving and hit an uneven part of the road or go around a curve, there is a loud popping noise. I have taken it to a local mechanic and Ram dealership to look at but they are unable to find anything. They state that nothing is loose or broke. Sometimes it doesn’t happen, sometimes it only happens once and sometimes it happens multiple times. This has been going on for a couple of years now. I also have newer tires. If it’s nothing serious, it’s embarrassing for it to happen. Any suggestions or anyone else had this issue?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Sometimes when I am driving and hit an uneven part of the road or go around a curve, there is a loud popping noise. I have taken it to a local mechanic and Ram dealership to look at but they are unable to find anything. They state that nothing is loose or broke. Sometimes it doesn’t happen, sometimes it only happens once and sometimes it happens multiple times. This has been going on for a couple of years now. I also have newer tires. If it’s nothing serious, it’s embarrassing for it to happen. Any suggestions or anyone else had this issue?
So never while turning specifically, even when road isnt rough? That is axle cv's.

But what it sounds like you have is most likely a shock mount, a lot of guys opt to upgrade shock mounts to poly from rubber. In fact, poly the entire suspension bushings firms it up and ends most squeaking, anything that is rubber there is a poly option.

Depending on more info, I would say somewhere in those bushings or axle is the issue.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you define if it's coming from the front or rear?

The list of possibilities is long. If you're not a DIY guy, I would recommend taking it to another shop or dealership. Or competent mechanic you go to. You need to ask them to put one of their better guys on it, not a less experienced tech. Go over it with a fine toothed comb. It might be something like a shield or exh pipe rattling too. Shops usually do a suspension diagnosis for free, but if it's an especially comprehensive inspection, it might be worth paying a fee.

I might be inclined to take it to two other shops and see if there is concensus. This is one of those things where a guy might see something and stop there ...and you could end up replacing several items over multiple visits till you finally get to the bottom of it. Best to find the root-cause first and not throw parts at it.

Potential things (no particular order):
1) Loose brake caliper
2) Worn ball joints or steering joint
3) Worn bushing/s (shocks or A-arm)
4) Loose shield
5) Loose inner fender panel
6) Loose or cracked exhaust hanger
7) Loose wheel center cap
8) Rear suspension issues (joints/bushings/etc).
9) Engine mount
10) Emergency brake cable rattling
11) Steering shaft binding (releasing "Pop!")
12) Power Steering Rack/bushing/bolt (loose)
13) CV shaft (loose/worn)
14) Wheel bearing (loose/worn)
15) Tailgate
16) Body mount
17) Stuck/sticking brake pad (rusted sleeves)

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AdamAsbury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. As you all say things I will probably be able to remember specifically what is happening. Sometimes there is a squeaking noise also. Like a springing bed frame sound. Sometimes it happens when I am backing my truck out of the drive and start turning. It’s hard to tell exactly where it’s coming from as sometimes it feels like it’s under the front seats and sometimes under the back.

chopperd64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a similar issue on my 2012 1500 SLT. At first it sounded like a rattle and then progressed to more of a popping sound. The noise was not really associated with rough roads or gravel but it came at any time without a pattern. I thought it was coming from the column with the seat belt on the passenger side. Then I thought it was the seat or the jack under the seat.

Two years of chasing it with the local dealer until one of their supervisors solved the problem. My noise was from the roof panel. Apparently there are stiffeners across the roof Which I assume the roof should be fixed to? Mine wasn’t which allowed the roof to flex under certain conditions and make the popping sound. The roof liner had to come out and they used foam inserts to solve the problem. After two years of frustration she is running quiet again.

Maybe worth a look?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's one benefit of going to the dealer ...they can look into their database of prevalant issues (some which could be almost impossible to spot or sort out) ...which a 3rd party shop might not have access to.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it appart and look at the components. Could be a dozen things.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you define if it's coming from the front or rear?

The list of possibilities is long. If you're not a DIY guy, I would recommend taking it to another shop or dealership. Or competent mechanic you go to. You need to ask them to put one of their better guys on it, not a less experienced tech. Go over it with a fine toothed comb. It might be something like a shield or exh pipe rattling too. Shops usually do a suspension diagnosis for free, but if it's an especially comprehensive inspection, it might be worth paying a fee.

I might be inclined to take it to two other shops and see if there is concensus. This is one of those things where a guy might see something and stop there ...and you could end up replacing several items over multiple visits till you finally get to the bottom of it. Best to find the root-cause first and not throw parts at it.

Potential things (no particular order):
1) Loose brake caliper
2) Worn ball joints or steering joint
3) Worn bushing/s (shocks or A-arm)
4) Loose shield
5) Loose inner fender panel
6) Loose or cracked exhaust hanger
7) Loose wheel center cap
8) Rear suspension issues (joints/bushings/etc).
9) Engine mount
10) Emergency brake cable rattling
11) Steering shaft binding (releasing "Pop!")
12) Power Steering Rack/bushing/bolt (loose)
13) CV shaft (loose/worn)
14) Wheel bearing (loose/worn)
15) Tailgate
16) Body mount
17) Stuck/sticking brake pad (rusted sleeves)

Good list, my only add would be front sway bar links or bushings.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sway bar is the easiest, Just take it all off, throw it in the trash, and go for a drive to see if popping is still there. :p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45