2015 ram 1500 sport front sway bar cracked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would remove and weld it up (Vee out the area to be welded). Oil-quench the weld immediately. Problem solved!

Put a new one on your watch list when one come avail.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2013 ram 1500 and I can't find one either! I've checked several scrap yards with national networks and the dealer is almost $500 and 4 or more weeks out! And there are two or three different ones used depending on your trend level and they all are very similar but different lengths...
If they're for a 4th Gen,they're all the same lengths for the same truck configuration,but theirs differant thickness/diameter bars for the differant configuration/trim levels of the trucks. The 2wheel drive and 4X4 swaybars are differant ,you can't interchange them,but as long as the bar is listed for a 2X4 it'll fit all 2 wheel drives,same with the 4X4's if it's listed as fitting a 4X4 it fit all 4X4's

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all for the reply's.

Actual part# for the bar is 55398938AC called dealer this morning and no stock about 5 weeks to order and $550.00 with tax. Absurd for a steel bar.
So I called around and called LKQ and they located a used one from a 2018 Ram Quad
$132.00 includes tax and I have to pick up in Lemonster Ma. about a week coming from Canada. So hope it will be ok and no cracks. Just could not justify $550 for that bar. Also might think of taking of and taking to a welder to see what he could do. Ebay has OEM for $350 shipped if the one from LKQ is no good my next will be Ebay brand new and includes shipping.
So 55398938AC is the correct # for 2009-2020 dodge ram 1500 quad cab regular suspension 4x4

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Given how difficult these seem to be to find new or used, I would remove the whole bar, sandblast the rusted end (or grind the rust away), cut and weld a piece of mild-steel metal onto the end (maybe 1/4" thick would work?). Weld in place of the cracked piece ...or you might be able to re-use the cracked piece. When you're finished welding, grind the welds and metal back down so the repaired end matches the other end of the sway bar. Then apply some semi-gloss black paint to the repaired area. Reinstall.

Note: You're going to need to put a torch on those sway bar end link nuts, at least to get them free'd up ...or else they'll snap off when you go to remove (an additional expense) .

The 'working' part of the anti-sway bar is from the beginning of the corners and the center. Not the ends. So it shouldn't bother the sway bar too much. That said, it would probably be a good idea to dip the radius bend in water periodically during the weld process, so the radius bend doesn't build up heat and take the temper out. It shouldn't take too long to do if you have access to the tools.

Good luck.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I dont have a welder and I ordered a used one from LKQ for $135 should get next week.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone used these Moog sway links with the white bushings? I see many reviews that the white bushings are junk and dont clamp down enough leaving a space that are too soft. Some say they had to replace the bushings.
I ordered a use sway bar mine cracked and new sway bar bushings and now looking for some good sway bar links.

Any suggestions ebay seems to have some but cheap i thing like $25.00 for a pair. And also I think the Moog on ebay is a generic picture as they show black bushings.

This picture is from Advanced Parts here in Boston Moog and shows the white bushings.

Any suggestions on a good pair that you have bought and work with no clang noise?

thanks
links.jpg

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only good end links are Suspension Maxx.

They are the only ones I didnt break when I still had a sway bar.

hyder124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found out today mine cracked in the exact same place.

Attachments

• 52FA13C9-C05E-4F1A-BD7D-C42F7B170D01.jpeg
    52FA13C9-C05E-4F1A-BD7D-C42F7B170D01.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 16

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Has anyone used these Moog sway links with the white bushings? I see many reviews that the white bushings are junk and dont clamp down enough leaving a space that are too soft. Some say they had to replace the bushings.
I ordered a use sway bar mine cracked and new sway bar bushings and now looking for some good sway bar links.

Any suggestions ebay seems to have some but cheap i thing like $25.00 for a pair. And also I think the Moog on ebay is a generic picture as they show black bushings.

This picture is from Advanced Parts here in Boston Moog and shows the white bushings.

Any suggestions on a good pair that you have bought and work with no clang noise?

thanks
View attachment 505208
I have the same ones as Dillagaf, been very happy with them

Attachments

• A7F863B5-C93A-4115-946F-FB08C8A3BB68.jpeg
    A7F863B5-C93A-4115-946F-FB08C8A3BB68.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 11

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's cracked on the end, as shown in the above picture, just weld it. It's not heavy structural on the end. It probably cracked as a result of rust pressing the joint apart. A guy could make the weld repair right on the truck w/o having to remove it: ....1/2 hour to grind the rust off, weld, and hook back up ...with even a little time to spare to put the tools away. Zero $$ parts cost. Done.

If the crack is in the center or corner, then it'll take a gentler touch: I'd remove, Vee, weld and quench. When I was a kid I custom bent a few custom front anti-sway bars to fit 60's cars I had. You know how those cars would tilt to a 30* angle going around corners?? I used 1 1/8" torsion bar from those old FWD Toronado's, which there were quite a few in yards back then. At the time nobody (I was aware of) was making HD anti-sway's for 'classic cars'. They worked great and I never had one bend out of kilter no matter how many times I put the cars into the ditch.

Back then ......once I finished making a thicker front anti-sway, I would take the old stock 60's front sway bar (usually 5/8") and re-fit it to the rear suspension. My cars cornered darn flat back then, when everyone else's was wollowing around corners! LOL.

In your case, if the crack was anywhere other than the very end, I'd Vee the crack, apply heat to heat up a broader weld area, make the weld, apply more heat to heat the broader area, then gently let it gradually cool down a little. Then quench the area in oil. That's how I would go about fixing a cracked Ram anti-sway. Even if you didn't pre-heat ..just welded it cold, it would probably hold up just fine. If it doesn't hold then time to buy a replacement. But my money is it would hold just fine. That's one approach to take anyway..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye