2015 Ram 1500 Steering Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gage H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the last few days I noticed a bit of play in the steering wheel, but barely noticeable. Today, as I pulled in my driveway, a very loud grinding noise began as I was turning. The steering wheel would sort of jump instead of a fluid turn, and made a very loud grinding/clunking noise. I called a shop and asked about the issue, and when I left to try and drive there, I couldn’t turn the wheel at all backing out, as soon as I turn it even a tiny bit, an extremely loud grinding/clunking noise starts. Any ideas or suggestions. I’ll be having it looked at by a shop once I have a tow truck pick it up.

Thanks for reading

OP
OP
Gage H

Gage H

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found out today that it has an electric Power steering, so no ability to fill it with fluid.. weird

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Unfortunately then its probably shot. Electric power steering racks have become popular these days. They are great when they work, but when they go belly up they are big bucks to fix. I'd budget $2500 at least on average.

Sorry to hear of your troubles...good luck.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately then its probably shot. Electric power steering racks have become popular these days. They are great when they work, but when they go belly up they are big bucks to fix. I'd budget $2500 at least on average.

Sorry to hear of your troubles...good luck.

Ouch! That’s a hefty price. Too bad.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ouch! That’s a hefty price. Too bad.
Yeah, they ain't cheap by any means. My last post was for dealer work. I'm sure an independent shop could do it for less, but probably would still be 1500-2k

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, they ain't cheap by any means. My last post was for dealer work. I'm sure an independent shop could do it for less, but probably would still be 1500-2k

I doubt that would be covered under my lifetime powertrain warranty.