2015 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy Schroeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just crossed over to the Ram side. I am getting mixed answers when I google towing capacities of my Ram. I have a 2015 Express. I have the smaller quad cab and a standard box, 5.7 liter Hemi, 8 speed trans and to the best of my knowledge the 3:21 gears. When ever I google with express I get 4900lbs with V6 I can get a V8 option. If I remove express I get 8900lbs. I find it very hard to believe 4900lbs is accurate. Just looking for input. Thanks in advance! a5f51349c873015d0cd645bd96f28137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Schroeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, I had found that. So it seems the trim level you have does not have impact on the towing capacity.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thanks, I had found that. So it seems the trim level you have does not have impact on the towing capacity.

The trim level does impact towing. Every option added to the truck will take away from the payload. For all manufacturers tow ratings they use the lowest feature trucks in their marketing of capacity. Your payload will most likely dictate your maximum tow before you reach any other limit. Your door sticker will tell you your payload.

Sent from my Z2_PRO using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So it seems the trim level you have does not have impact on the towing capacity.

Trim level doesn't matter and the Payload sticker rating is a ballpark at best.
The numbers for towing legally with any vehicle are the GAWR and GVWR along with an elected gross weight(GCWR) if your state requires or enforces one.
SAE J2807 tow ratings are even mandated to be done with the commonly added vehicle factory options that on a third of a particular model.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Schroeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you, there isn’t much fancy on this one. The most I will be pulling is 7k so I should be good. This is my first truck so I’m just being extra cautious.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, OP, Ram has a lookup tool using your VIN; that's the most accurate way to tell what you can haul...it's here. Click on the link labeled "Look Up My Vehicle" and enter your VIN.

TXCOMT

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The most I will be pulling is 7k so I should be good. This is my first truck so I’m just being extra cautious.
Getting the WDH set up correctly for the actual load your pulling will make all the difference. Use a set of CAT scales if possible and you want the truck and trailer loaded as close to fully loaded when you set it up. Read some posts from VernDiesel, he tows TTs around the country and has over 500K miles on his '14 1500.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/looking-at-the-numbers.123099/
The number one safety item when towing, is the person behind the steering wheel.

Ram has a lookup tool using your VIN; that's the most accurate way to tell what you can haul...it's here. Click on the link labeled "Look Up My Vehicle" and enter your VIN.
That is the probably one of the least reliable places to find out towing infromation on a vehicle. According to that website, I have 0 lbs payload rating. You read that right, I can't be in the truck...lol
The OP has the numbers he needs on the sticker in the doorjamb, the one that has the vehicle VIN along with the GAWR and GVWR listed.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Just in case, here's the easiest way...

1) open your driver-side door.
2) look for the sticker in the door jamb - on that sticker your max towing weight should be listed. ;)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just in case, here's the easiest way...

1) open your driver-side door.
2) look for the sticker in the door jamb - on that sticker your max towing weight should be listed. ;)

Really? Where does it list max towing weight on any sticker in the doorjamb?
Picture if you can find it... I'd like to see it

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Bah - I messed that up... turns out only Gross Axle Weight Ratings and the GVWR are in there. My bad:

door-sticker-noVin.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jeremy Schroeder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The site give me a lot of details, and does give a tow max,m. But also does show 0lbs for payload.