2015 Ram exterior lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16valv

Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently purchased a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. The truck is very nice and I am very happy with it. The previous owner told me he made some changes with alfaOBD because he installed LED lights all around, headlights, turn signal, parking, brakes...

The truck has a problem that when ignition ON and the light switch in parking, lights will turn on as expected. When the truck is running the parking lights turn off, no exterior lights nor interior lights. Being the light switch in parking if I turn on the foglight all parking lights work fine. It seems when the truck is running the function of the parking lights is linked to the foglight. Low beams, high beams, turn signal works as expected.

Does someone have experience with AlfaOBD to know what coding might be changed for this behavior?
Really appreciate the support

Best Regards

Sant

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
sounds more like the LEDs the PO used are not Error-Free CANbus LEDs. You probably need to change the bulbs or use resistors. '15 trucks for some reason a little more sensitive about lighting in this regard. If the lights work without the engine running but do not when the engine is running that's the BCM turning the lights off because it senses a problem.
As for AlfaOBD the PO probably turned the light types to LED and also enabled the High Intensity lighting settings. Those are what you usually change when converting to LED.

Buy yourself a copy of AlfaOBD and it suggested to use the OBDLink MX or MX+ Bluetooth dongle with the app. AlfaOBD is available for Android and Windows. It's well worth the price of admission as it's capable of not only vehicle configuration changes but diagnostic and testing of most systems on the vehicle.

OP
OP

16valv

Reaction score
sounds more like the LEDs the PO used are not Error-Free CANbus LEDs. You probably need to change the bulbs or use resistors. '15 trucks for some reason a little more sensitive about lighting in this regard. If the lights work without the engine running but do not when the engine is running that's the BCM turning the lights off because it senses a problem.
As for AlfaOBD the PO probably turned the light types to LED and also enabled the High Intensity lighting settings. Those are what you usually change when converting to LED.

Buy yourself a copy of AlfaOBD and it suggested to use the OBDLink MX or MX+ Bluetooth dongle with the app. AlfaOBD is available for Android and Windows. It's well worth the price of admission as it's capable of not only vehicle configuration changes but diagnostic and testing of most systems on the vehicle.
Thanks for the reply, yes he has changed to LED bulbs in the AlfaOBD but maybe he changed something that is producing this behavior. What options do I have to revert back to stock config?

Has anyone experienced something like this before.
when switching to low beams, the parking lights turn also on. But they do not when switching parking lights only.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@16valv it's nothing he changed that caused this. You could change the bulb settings back and then switch the halogen bulbs.
I suspect the PO used some cheap LEDs that are causing all the problems, choice is yours to try different LEDs, use resistors, or revert back to stock.