2015 V-6 Gas detonation/ping/spark knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pre-ignition, etc. Whatever you want to call it, mine has it. 2015 crew with the 3.6 gas V-6. I drive the truck very easy, but occasionally have to pull out in front of traffic. When the engine is hot, and trans upshifting at 5K, when it hits 2nd gear, it knocks badly. I've tried different brands of gas, but no difference.

Getting ready to take it to the dealer but figured I post to see if others had a similar issue and found a fix. Considering the dealer often "cannot duplicate the problem".

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You say you have tried different brands of gas, but have you tried different octane levels of gas?

OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You say you have tried different brands of gas, but have you tried different octane levels of gas?

No, that probably would fix it but it should, and used to, run fine on 87. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to spend more $$$ on gas. Something changed and I'm hoping there is a fix - knock sensor???

springer67

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 express rcsb
Engine
pentastar 3.6 v6

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, that probably would fix it but it should, and used to, run fine on 87. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to spend more $$$ on gas. Something changed and I'm hoping there is a fix - knock sensor???

Possible, but highly doubtful. Could be in the wiring or clip. More likely vacuum leak or injector(s). If you have a good tool, it will lead you in the right direction if you know what to look for. I'd just take it in, chasing this down could take some time. If your feeling it, it's a problem. Pre ignition can happen for a list of reasons and if you have used 87 with success and 87 is okay with the v6 manual then great. If 89 is recommended, then you are lean out the gate, especially under high load, cylinder is hotter, edge of some part of the piston/spark plug might glow, etc--pre ignition.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You should be under warranty so my recommendation would be to take it in. If you were out of warranty my recommendation would be to treat the engine intake and gas tank with Seafoam.

soSincerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 1500 QC express
Engine
5.7 4x4 3.92 LSD
the ECU (or whatever dodge calls it) is always trying to add timing that will put it near the limit of knock. adding timing helps fuel economy and if you drive conservative, it will be on a conservative map. giving it sudden throttle (or heavier throttle than usual) can cause it to ping, especially on 87, on a hot engine, with 10.2 compression.

some engines are more sensitive to it than others. whenever I test drive an old nissan V6, I get them to ping something fierce.

OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the ECU (or whatever dodge calls it) is always trying to add timing that will put it near the limit of knock. adding timing helps fuel economy and if you drive conservative, it will be on a conservative map. giving it sudden throttle (or heavier throttle than usual) can cause it to ping, especially on 87, on a hot engine, with 10.2 compression.

some engines are more sensitive to it than others. whenever I test drive an old nissan V6, I get them to ping something fierce.

I forgot about the different maps. Ford did that with the 5.0 back in the 80s. Yes, I drive pretty easy like a grandmother most of the time.

Took it to the dealer and they could not repeat the concern. Surprise.