2016 2500 6.4 Stalling on Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Twice this month (July) my truck stalled after startup. Both times was in the morning. Temperature outside was around 70 degrees. Started the truck, runs for about 5 seconds and then stalls. I have to turn the truck completely off for about 5 seconds to get it to start again (It refuses to turn over if you immediately attempt to start again). No other problems with the truck other than this. Anyone else have this problem? I have 29,000 miles on the truck, it’s a 2500 4x4 Tradesman Crew LWB with the 6.4 Hemi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Twice this month (July) my truck stalled after startup. Both times was in the morning. Temperature outside was around 70 degrees. Started the truck, runs for about 5 seconds and then stalls. I have to turn the truck completely off for about 5 seconds to get it to start again (It refuses to turn over if you immediately attempt to start again). No other problems with the truck other than this. Anyone else have this problem? I have 29,000 miles on the truck, it’s a 2500 4x4 Tradesman Crew LWB with the 6.4 Hemi.

What's that got to do with anything. Fixed is fixed and broken ain't fixed...
Contact @ramcares on this here Ram Forum and they will help you get the situation... well... ... Fixed
I haven't posted in enough forums, istagram, twitter, etc. to reach the threshold of Ram Caring.
I haven't seen this problem before and haven't read anything in the forum about it.
What brand fuel and grade are you using? I ask because it could be bad gas.
Has the CEL been on?
Does it show any codes on the EVIC?

I Love my 18 Ram 2500 4x4 CC U.S.M.C.(ret) CPL

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On two separate occasions about a month or so ago my truck did something similar. I started the truck when I left work and it fired and immediately shut off. At first I wondered if it had even turned over. I turned the key again and nothing happened. Waited a second or two then turned the key again. Started and idled just fine, with no CEL. About a day later same thing happened. Once it started there were no issues. It has never done it before or since. Kind of weird. My warranty runs out in less than a month so I'm sure if there is a problem it will wait until then LOL.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much fuel was in the truck? I know remote start doesn’t work if low fuel light is on. My 1500 has the 32gallon tank and my low fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank when I still have roughly 9 gallons left... ****** me the **** off I can’t use remote start with a 1/4 tank of fuel...

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In my situation I can't honestly remember. I know the gas light wasn't on because I rarely drive around when its on. It also probably wasn't full because it doesn't seem to stay on "F" for very long...unless Its parked.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Something went wrong with my reply.
OP forgive me but 1/2 of my reply was ment to be on another thread and how it happened I dont know.
The comment for you was I haven't seen this problem before...

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have your battery load tested and see if it is on its way out. Many FCA batteries seem to fail in two or three years and a failing battery can have all sorts of strange effects on your truck. While you are looking at it make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Something went wrong with my reply.
OP forgive me but 1/2 of my reply was ment to be on another thread and how it happened I dont know.
The comment for you was I haven't seen this problem before...

No worries. Thanks for letting me know. I believe it was Marathon Gas and I’ve always ran 87. Thought about trying 89? There has been no alerts on the dash at all... no check engine light.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I would have your battery load tested and see if it is on its way out. Many FCA batteries seem to fail in two or three years and a failing battery can have all sorts of strange effects on your truck. While you are looking at it make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

I will check that. Much Appreciated!

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
How much fuel was in the truck? I know remote start doesn’t work if low fuel light is on. My 1500 has the 32gallon tank and my low fuel light comes on at 1/4 tank when I still have roughly 9 gallons left... ****** me the **** off I can’t use remote start with a 1/4 tank of fuel...

The last time it happened I had about 3/4 tank of gas

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
On two separate occasions about a month or so ago my truck did something similar. I started the truck when I left work and it fired and immediately shut off. At first I wondered if it had even turned over. I turned the key again and nothing happened. Waited a second or two then turned the key again. Started and idled just fine, with no CEL. About a day later same thing happened. Once it started there were no issues. It has never done it before or since. Kind of weird. My warranty runs out in less than a month so I'm sure if there is a problem it will wait until then LOL.

Strange. Sounds exactly like what mine did. My warranty is nearing at 36k too. I want to call the dealer but I can see them not finding anything wrong.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No worries. Thanks for letting me know. I believe it was Marathon Gas and I’ve always ran 87. Thought about trying 89? There has been no alerts on the dash at all... no check engine light.

The BTE(Big Truck Engine) Hemi's are designed/required to run 89 or better.
I run 93 in mine and when I find 100% has its usually only in 87 and I run it. The 100% gas on avg gets me around 17.5 mpg in my 8000# truck.
My truck does a lot for me so I feed it well and give it the ultimate care I possibly can. She's not always clean but deserves and gets the best of everything. The wife and kids are spoiled and so is my truck.

OP
OP
dmillar74

dmillar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
The BTE(Big Truck Engine) Hemi's are designed/required to run 89 or better.
I run 93 in mine and when I find 100% has its usually only in 87 and I run it. The 100% gas on avg gets me around 17.5 mpg in my 8000# truck.
My truck does a lot for me so I feed it well and give it the ultimate care I possibly can. She's not always clean but deserves and gets the best of everything. The wife and kids are spoiled and so is my truck.

I’m gonna try 89. Maybe that is what it is.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
Old thread, but the first one that came up on the Google.

OP, did you ever find a solution for this? I have had the same thing happen several times with my 2016 6.4. It's almost like the key fob thingie turns back a bit too far and kills the engine.

I have had it off and on since it was new. Never a CEL. We've run rec gas and 87 octane ethanol in it. It's not a battery thing, because we plow with it and if the battery was bad, it would have shown up while plowing. It's not the fuel level. It's not the grade of fuel. Not the battery. Something is causing it shut off and not restart without turning the key thingie all the way to off and then restarting. It's very random but will do it more than once when it does start acting up. All different times of the year.

I hope someone has an answer.

Thanks

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
Update...we had a complete no start situation shortly after the stalling. Acted like it had a dead battery, jumped it and it fired right up. Put a charger on it when we got it back to our shop and it showed 13 volts and 95% charge.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Power Wagon 2017 owner here, my rig just started doing this.
  1. Running 89 octane gas with 1/2 a tank
  2. keyless fob
Just had the truck battery replaced and it is still occasionally doing it. Going to try replacing the FOB battery next. It's very concerning because I bought the Power Wagon for back country adventures and the last thing I need to is to be stranded out in the wilderness thanks to some electrical gremlins.

I just had the Check Engine Light come on after the last time, so making an appointment with the local RAM dealer to see if it is related. Will update this thread after for future searchers of this issue. In the meantime if anyone else has more to share on this issue please chime in -- this is my first RAM and I am loving it aside from this mysterious issue.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Update...we had a complete no start situation shortly after the stalling. Acted like it had a dead battery, jumped it and it fired right up. Put a charger on it when we got it back to our shop and it showed 13 volts and 95% charge.
JD has it happened again since then? I just put a new battery in mine and it is still happening ... starting to wonder if alternator or ignition coil related...

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
JD has it happened again since then? I just put a new battery in mine and it is still happening ... starting to wonder if alternator or ignition coil related...

Negative...I did put a new battery in 9/28 just cuz.

It's extremely intermittent and I am convinced it has nothing to do with type of gas or truck or fob battery.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Negative...I did put a new battery in 9/28 just cuz.

It's extremely intermittent and I am convinced it has nothing to do with type of gas or truck or fob battery.
I appreciate you getting back to me, sorry to hear it hasn't cleared up for you either. I have a service appointment this Thursday, I'll let you know what they say. It's very disappointing issue on an otherwise awesome truck.

I had a BMW once that behaved similarly and in that case it ended up being a bad ignition coil, but I think were that the case with the RAMs we would see some sort of code being thrown for it by the computer. I do have a cylinder misfire code, so maybe... we shall find out shortly.