2016 2500 6.7L Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txh2oskier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi All,
At 160k miles I had to replace the transmission in my 2016 2500 Tradesman 2WD. The troubles started with rear tires chirping when the truck shifted from 2nd to 3rd. I thought this was from a hard shift. Then the transmission wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Stopping, turning off the truck and then restarting it would get it working again for a time. Eventually I replaced the transmission.

Now, 30k miles later, it has started acting up again. First with the tires chirping on some shifts. Again, I thought this was due to hard shifting until the second symptom popped up. Today I was trying to back out of a parking spot and the truck wouldn't move. I finally got out by... putting it in reverse, truck wouldn't move. Put it in neutral and then back in reverse, the truck would back up about six inches and then lock up. Put it in neutral and then in reverse, won't move. Put it in neutral and then reverse, move six inches before locking up. Did this enough times that I was finally able to pull away in drive. Now I'm thinking the "chirping" is the tires locking up momentarily during a shift. We were several hundred miles from home so I drove on. About 5 miles from home and the transmission won't up shift and the CEL comes on. After a stop I am able to get it to shift into 2nd, but a very hard shift. Home now, still won't move in reverse.

Any ideas? Anyone else have issues like this?