2016 AEV Prospector at a dealer near me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I’m thinking about trading my 2013 Power Wagon in
I was looking at a 2018 cummins, but the dealer also has a 2016 Power Wagon with the AEV Prospector badging

$45,000
63,000 miles
Looks like it’s in very good condition
It’s black, wish it was white or tan

Doaes anyone have info on what AEV did to the 2016?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They just did their suspension system, badging and some interior upgrades back then i think. I dont even think they had bumpers yet.

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks!
This one has the AEV front bumper, but stock back bumper.
Also has 5 Katla wheels

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It handles really nicely on the highway
I didn’t try it off road yet, gotta ask the dealer if there is a good place to try it

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do you know what they used to do to the suspension back then?

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do you know what they used to do to the suspension back then?
I pretty certain they changed the front springs for diesel springs if it had 37s,I'm not sure what else
There was one with us at PWIM 2017,and it didn't flex nearly as well as other PWs

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The suspension system has pretty much been the same since the beginning, although they now offer better shocks. They use the factory regular 2500 springs front and rear with 3” coil spacers in the front and 2” spacers in the rear.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Why were you looking at a Cummins? If that is what you need get it, don't be swayed by another shiny object on the lot. 2 completely different trucks and sound like you squirrelled. Doesn't make sense to trade a power wagon for another PW that just has a few aftermarket parts on it?

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Why were you looking at a Cummins? If that is what you need get it, don't be swayed by another shiny object on the lot. 2 completely different trucks and sound like you squirrelled. Doesn't make sense to trade a power wagon for another PW that just has a few aftermarket parts on it?
I get what you are saying, it’s sort of on point but not really.
I was looking at the Cummins because it was cheap-ish. My son wants me to get a Cummins and turn it into an overlander.
We have a 22 Cummins that I paid off when we sold our old house. It is our work truck, and a business write off though. I need a weekend warrior truck for personal use so that I’m not driving my write off to go camping, etc.

The 2013 PW that we have was bought with the intention of becoming an overlander/weekend warrior, but it is starting to have problems that I don’t want to spend money on.
I didn’t realize it when we bought the truck, but it belonged to an RV sales and was used for a lot of heavy towing (sometimes pretty far above the manufacturer’s specs).
The previous owner had accidentally left some personal items in the truck that we found after we bought it. I met with him and that is how I found out about the towing history.

The Prospector has pretty much everything that I wanted to do to our 2013, plus the 6.4l engine and less than half the miles on it. Given that it has lower idle hours and not a scratch on it, I’m guessing that it was a highway truck.
It’s $20,000 more than what I currently owe on the 2013, but it has everything I need and no engine & steering issues.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would compare the asking price of the AEV Prospector versus a comparable age and mileage stock PW just to see what mark-up they may be asking. Then look at that mark-up price compared to what it would cost to add similar equipment to a stock PW. Need to verify exactly what is on the AEV version but if it's "just" a lift, tires/wheels, and a bumper how much would that cost.
Still can't get over what Covid did to the used truck market prices! I was lucky and bought right before it all started. Picked up a super clean 3 year old PW with 24k on the odo for $34k from a dealership. 3 years and 20k miles later the trade-in value of that truck is higher than what I paid for it!

Bike_Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For my purposes I'd much rather build my own up than go with an AEV. Their approach to suspension where there is no real improvement, just increased ride height is not for me. A Thuren King setup is going to ride and perform so much better. Their bumpers, wheels and flares are pretty great though.

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I DO NOT AGREE! The AEV upgrades do not compare to what an enthusiast can do in the driveway. They are a holistic capability advancement, which is why you get highway on-road impression that you had with your test drive.

I suggest you call AEV and get your questions answered. Their customer service is exemplary and very willing to help.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I DO NOT AGREE! The AEV upgrades do not compare to what an enthusiast can do in the driveway. They are a holistic capability advancement, which is why you get highway on-road impression that you had with your test drive.
Out of curiosity, what are the specific reasons you say that? What does AEV do that is so special and that somebody can't buy the parts and bolt them on in the driveway? I just re-read their website and their suspension is just all bolt-in stuff and uses coil spring spacers. Not saying it's bad or anything, but just want to know what AEV does that is so "holistic".......

OP
OP
D

Down the Tubes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Seems like the Dualsport lift is a little more than just spacers

Kit Contents: AEV ProCal Module, Aluminum Front Driveshaft Spacer, Carrier Bearing Shim Kit (if applicable), Cast Aluminum Front Coil Spring Pad Relocation Mounts, Cast Aluminum Rear Coil Spring Spacers (2500), Custom AEV-tuned Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Front Axle Relocation Kit, Front Bump Stop Spacers, Front Track Bar Brackets, Hardware Pack, Heavy Duty Front Track Bar, No-Drill Forged Drag Link, OEM Passenger Knuckle Machined with Tapered Insert, Power Hop Bracket (if applicable), Radius Arm Relocation Brackets, Rear Bump Stop Spacers, Rear Lift Blocks (3500), Rear Sway Bar End Links (2500), Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket (2500), Rear U-Bolts (3500)

As I said, the Prospector handles very well on the road, even with worn out tires.

I had a 2018 PW with BDS lift (installed by the dealer before I bought it) and it was terrible on the road.
I had the BDS taken off and replaced with a Carli Back Country setup. This was a little better on the road and really great off road, but a little bit squirly at highway speeds. I think that the mixture of parts and bad workmanship combined to make that truck look impressive, but drive like a tank. That was my only experience with a lifted PW until I drove the Prospector the other day.

My 2013 is stock, with 35" Duratracs on it.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Out of curiosity, what are the specific reasons you say that? What does AEV do that is so special and that somebody can't buy the parts and bolt them on in the driveway? I just re-read their website and their suspension is just all bolt-in stuff and uses coil spring spacers. Not saying it's bad or anything, but just want to know what AEV does that is so "holistic".......

Absolutely nothing. You are far better off going with a carli or Thuren setup... And I can do that in my driveway.

Don't get me wrong, the AEV bumpers are awesome but there are better suspension choices out there.

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
For my purposes I'd much rather build my own up than go with an AEV. Their approach to suspension where there is no real improvement, just increased ride height is not for me. A Thuren King setup is going to ride and perform so much better. Their bumpers, wheels and flares are pretty great though.

Absolutely nothing. You are far better off going with a carli or Thuren setup... And I can do that in my driveway.

Don't get me wrong, the AEV bumpers are awesome but there are better suspension choices out there.

What these guys said. I have thousands of onroad (and towing) and offroad miles on a Thuren / FOX equipped 2013 2500 Cummins. It has been a revelation compared to the OEM setup that I drove prior that had a puck / shock lift.

I can assure you that you will get far more onroad performance, offroad performance and comfort from a Thuren Suspension properly setup and aligned than you would with OEM parts utilized in the AEM kits. Further, using pucks for lifting will KILL your ride quality, overall flex (traction) and add excessive bind, bump and rebound forces well beyond what typical shocks can manage. The Thuren kit will get you there and back.

As far as whats possible with both trucks... On the PW its easier to add a nice inside the bumper front winch but the Cummins will get better gas mileage on bigger tires than the PW extending your bush time, and out haul or out tow the PW any day of the week and if youre really in love with the AEM bumpers, well..just slide some on the Cummins.

Ch

Attachments

• 20190518_171210.jpg
    20190518_171210.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: